Winch help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Winch help

A looking into the barricade bumper and want a winch to go along with it (insert your wife joke here...). I am new to the offroad world and confused with the difference between remote and integrated solenoid. Are there advantages of one ove the other? What's the real difference? Since we will be on the topics of winches, any suggestions for brands? I realize most will say Warn, but those are honestly out of my budget, I want to stay under $600 for a winch.

Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Suggest you look at the JP Magazine website for their winch shootout...good info there. Remote solenoids are mounted in a separate housing from the winch, ie a Warn M8000 like I have, and integrated solenoid is mounted within the winch frame itself like a Warn 9.5cti...and integral solenoid is much better protected from water contamination and shorting compared to the remote solenoid mount. So, if you plan on any underwater winching, the later is better...lol. Hope this helps. I am a Warn fan, but there are other good products out there depending upon your needs, budget and type of driving, etc...Let me just say, when I need a winch, I need a winch...to me it is a matter of safety for me and my family.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You could try finding one used online or otherwise. I found my Ramsey Patriot 9500 for $300. in new condition at the pawn shop. All it needed was the controller.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I did lots of study on this back when, and the Warn M8000 is probably the best Winch for the JK for the cost/weight/performance.

That being said, I bought a 9.5 CTI with the synthetic line at just over double the price of an M8000. Also bought a thimble to replace the ****ty hook - which should never be used on a winch anyways IMHO.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
fiftycal

You can get a Warn for under 600. The VR 10000 is right under 6. Wait a couple weeks and they will prob have another rebate coming up. They just had a $100 cash back rebate end.
fiftycal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you price shop, you can find a Warn M8000 within your budget. I think I would rather go with steel rope and get a better winch, than go with a cheaper winch to get synthetic. Maybe some of the winch gurus can weigh in on that more.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
If you price shop, you can find a Warn M8000 within your budget. I think I would rather go with steel rope and get a better winch, than go with a cheaper winch to get synthetic. Maybe some of the winch gurus can weigh in on that more.
Interesting point, I was thinking of getting an inferior winch with synthetic rope just because I thought it was "better". Anyone have opinions?
Unread 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Synthetic is safer, lighter weight, but prone to abrasion and sun damage. Steel is heavier, more dangerous, less prone to abrasion damage and wont rot from the sun though it can rust. Whether it is steel or synthetic, its the winch itself that does the work. You can always upgrade to synthetic later on. Disclaimer here, I don't own a winch, never have yet. That is how I am looking at it myself. I'm thinking of adding a winch to my jeep eventually, with an m8000 on the top of the short list. I'd rather put the money into the internals initially at least.
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thought I'd bump this before I called myself the thread killer.
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
Thought I'd bump this before I called myself the thread killer.
Thanks, I would like some more opinions.
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Indy

Uv damage isnt a concern with synthetics according to everything ive read.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

It's my personal opinion that the safety and usability of synthetic line outweigh any negatives. If it comes down to picking a higher quality winch with steel vs a lower quality with synth, I would go high quality winch. If steel and synth are both in the budget, I would go synth. You can cover the whole winch or just the line to protect it from the sun. You can also sleeve the last wrap on the drum to protect from UV rays as well.

If you're looking for a good winch with a synthetic line for <$600, check out the Engo 10,000 with Synthetic Rope. They haven't been around for as long as Warn, but there are a good many people using these and they have been very happy so far.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I echo the suggestion to look for a used winch. Good deals are out there especially if you are not in a big hurry. I found an unused Warn HS9500i for $500 that I am pretty happy with to replace a Superwinch LP8500 that was stolen from my storage unit. Good luck, Dave
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I've seen the Engo online, and seen mostly positive reviews of it. Can get the synthetic version for a decent price with a 10k winch. Couple of problems I've heard about them seems to point to weatherproofing of the winch. At the least a winch cover would be a good idea. On the flip side, for not much more cash, there is the VR series of winches from Warn with steel rope, and if shopping around the M8000 it looks like with steel. Haven't really seen any used winches locally yet for decent prices.
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #15
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I keep repeating this my Warn M8000 has been around since I first installed it on my 1980's Toyota P/U and several other vehicles, and is now mounted to the front of my 05 Rubicon and still going strong. Skip the syth. line and buy a better winch you can always up grade the line later, you can NEVER upgrade the winch unless of course you buy a new one.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.