Winch cable oil - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch cable oil

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes necessary to lube all chains and cables. Need a penetrating type oil because both wear out from the inside.
Also preferred to have a moly product.
I use Synergyn Moly Chain Lube.
It is used by sand pits with drag lines, and farmers with high speed combine chaines.
Triples the life of these expensive replacement parts.

Comes in a qt squeeze bottle and is available, with free shipping, by the case from........
Xentx/Synergyn Oil Co at 800-456-7665.
Ask for Ext 104 for a product expert.

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The above is just one more reason why I am so happy I switched away from wire rope to 3/8" synthetic many years ago.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The above is just one more reason why I am so happy I switched away from wire rope to 3/8" synthetic many years ago.
What is the life expectancy out of rope?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What is the life expectancy out of rope?
Depending on use type, a synthetic rope can last significantly longer. Due to kinks causing broken strands, since you can't always properly rewind the cable between each use, I replaced my first winch's wire rope twice in its first 5-6 years. Then I replaced it with 3/8" synthetic which was fine the final 6-7 years I had that winch & Jeep before it was stolen. The rope was still in great shape the last time I saw it.

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Depending on use type, a synthetic rope can last significantly longer. Due to kinks causing broken strands, since you can't always properly rewind the cable between each use, I replaced my first winch's wire rope twice in its first 5-6 years. Then I replaced it with 3/8" synthetic which was fine the final 6-7 years I had that winch & Jeep before it was stolen. The rope was still in great shape the last time I saw it.
I guess I am doing good. I have about 12 year on my cable. I have only used WD 40 on it a couple times. I guess I need to step up on my maintenance. I have always been really careful how I used my cable. When it does go rope will defiantly be something to consider.

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep no doubt my wire rope issues resulted from doing too many multiple pulls in a day/weekend where I couldn't properly rewind it after each use. That often resulted in the wire rope pulling itself down through the layers that were no longer tight enough to prevent that from happening.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep no doubt my wire rope issues resulted from doing too many multiple pulls in a day/weekend where I couldn't properly rewind it after each use. That often resulted in the wire rope pulling itself down through the layers that were no longer tight enough to prevent that from happening.
I have always been careful about that. I try to never let my cable drag over things while there is a load on it and I use a pulley if I can get a straight pull so I my cable does not bunch up.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I have always been careful about that. I try to never let my cable drag over things while there is a load on it and I use a pulley if I can get a straight pull so I my cable does not bunch up.
Dragging a wire rope over terrain never bothered mine enough so I could notice & darned few of my pulls ever allowed me to get much of the rope on straight or under sufficient load to have it tight enough for the next pull which was often minutes later. Dragging the rope out 80' to pull someone 10' up/over an obstacle would leave 70' of loose cable after I was done in other words. On such trails, rewinding a rope properly is nigh impossible between all pulls. At least in my experience.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dragging a wire rope over terrain never bothered mine enough so I could notice & darned few of my pulls ever allowed me to get much of the rope on straight or under sufficient load to have it tight enough for the next pull which was often minutes later. Dragging the rope out 80' to pull someone 10' up/over an obstacle would leave 70' of loose cable after I was done in other words. On such trails, rewinding a rope properly is nigh impossible between all pulls. At least in my experience.
I always take the time to roll it straight (with the help of the person I recovered) and I won't move my Jeep until it is straight. I will undo it and redo it if necessary. Sometimes I feel bad like I am holding people up but nobody has ever complained.
Plus we all drink too much coffee and are getting older, most need more time for pee breaks anyway.

I guess my dad beat into me, an ounce of prevention is equal to a pound of cure.

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OT but that's where I go wheeling at Was called Jeepskool back then though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.