Winch cable oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch cable oil

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Winch cable oil

I've had this winch for several years now, and I've only needed to use it 4 or 5 times. It's time to oil the cable!
I have 3in1 oil....it's light, it penetrates, it disperses water, and it lubricates.
Does anybody have their own brand/type they use? why?
I looked all over for an answer, and from what little I found, folks seem to like WD-40 or bicycle chain/waxed oil (Pedros).
Any thoughts??

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
I've had this winch for several years now, and I've only needed to use it 4 or 5 times. It's time to oil the cable!
I have 3in1 oil....it's light, it penetrates, it disperses water, and it lubricates.
Does anybody have their own brand/type they use? why?
I looked all over for an answer, and from what little I found, folks seem to like WD-40 or bicycle chain/waxed oil (Pedros).
Any thoughts??
Why oil it? Won't dirt stick to the oil?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wire rope is a machine,that's why oil it. There is a good write up on pirate I think. I'll check and see if I saved the link.

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
ki4cye is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html

Lots of good info about winching and wire rope here. Good reading for everyone from beginner to experienced user.

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cye View Post
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html

Lots of good info about winching and wire rope here. Good reading for everyone from beginner to experienced user.

link won't work for me and I tried to cut and paste. I have had my winch on since 01 and I have wiped it down with WD 40 maybe twice. I would like to read what they have to say, can you cut and paste of is it two long?

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go to pirate4x4 and look at the top of the page above where you sign in. There is a link labeled TECH. It will take you to the billavista tech garage. Scroll down to 2003 articles and look for Recovery Bible. There is also lots of other good info there. You can spend hours reading.

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cye
Go to pirate4x4 and look at the top of the page above where you sign in. There is a link labeled TECH. It will take you to the billavista tech garage. Scroll down to 2003 articles and look for Recovery Bible. There is also lots of other good info there. You can spend hours reading.

Yep it's a long article.

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep it's a long article.

Did they give any specfice reason?
when I try the link or paste it in all I get is this:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.
For assistance, contact your network support team at ***************

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you Ki4!!
Pirated from Pirate:
The lubrication ropes receive during manufacture is adequate only for initial storage and the early stages of the rope�s service life. A winch's wire rope should be maintained in a well-lubricated condition. It is important that lubricant be applied as part of the maintenance program. The lubricant must be compatible with the original lubricant, so the rope manufacturer should be consulted. The lubricant applied should be of the type that does not hinder visual inspection. The surface of some ropes may become covered with dirt, rock dust or other material during their operation. This can prevent field-applied lubricants from properly penetrating into the rope, so it's a good practice to clean these ropes before you lubricate them.
The lubricant you apply should be light-bodied enough to penetrate to the rope's core. You can normally apply lubricant by using one of three methods: drip it on rope, spray it on or brush it on. In all cases, you should apply it at a place where the rope is bending, such as around a sheave. We recommend you apply it at the top of the bend because that's where the rope's strands are spread by bending and are more easily penetrated.
In addition, pressure lubricators are available commercially. Your rope's service life will be directly proportional to the effectiveness of the method you use and the amount of lubricant that reaches the rope's working parts. A proper lubricant must reduce friction, protect against corrosion and adhere to every wire. It should also be pliable, and not crack or separate when cold, yet not drip when warm. Never apply heavy grease to the rope because it can trap excessive grit, which can damage the rope. Nor should you apply used "engine oil" because it contains materials that can damage the rope.

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It must be blocked by my work. I tried www.pirate4x4.com also, it just times out. I will try when I get home.

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
Thank you Ki4!!
Pirated from Pirate:
The lubrication ropes receive during manufacture is adequate only for initial storage and the early stages of the rope�s service life. A winch's wire rope should be maintained in a well-lubricated condition. It is important that lubricant be applied as part of the maintenance program. The lubricant must be compatible with the original lubricant, so the rope manufacturer should be consulted. The lubricant applied should be of the type that does not hinder visual inspection. The surface of some ropes may become covered with dirt, rock dust or other material during their operation. This can prevent field-applied lubricants from properly penetrating into the rope, so it's a good practice to clean these ropes before you lubricate them.
The lubricant you apply should be light-bodied enough to penetrate to the rope's core. You can normally apply lubricant by using one of three methods: drip it on rope, spray it on or brush it on. In all cases, you should apply it at a place where the rope is bending, such as around a sheave. We recommend you apply it at the top of the bend because that's where the rope's strands are spread by bending and are more easily penetrated.
In addition, pressure lubricators are available commercially. Your rope's service life will be directly proportional to the effectiveness of the method you use and the amount of lubricant that reaches the rope's working parts. A proper lubricant must reduce friction, protect against corrosion and adhere to every wire. It should also be pliable, and not crack or separate when cold, yet not drip when warm. Never apply heavy grease to the rope because it can trap excessive grit, which can damage the rope. Nor should you apply used "engine oil" because it contains materials that can damage the rope.
Thanks,
I went to Warns page and downloaded their maintenance book and it said "Light oil on the wire rope and winch hook can prevent rust and corrosion."

I have no rust on mind but the extra little effort couldn’t hurt!

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Link worked for me. The part that wily posted is only a small part of it. It has winching safety,wire rope safety and everything else.
The only thing I dont remember seeing there is how to move a vehicle backward with a winch.
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

In the past I maintained overhead cranes with wire rope. Even had a couple in a pickle house (corrosive environment). I used "Lubriplate Chain and Cable Fluid". It is made specifically for wire robe and, IMHO, is an excellent lubricant for wire ropes. It is a light, clear lubricant that will penetrate to the core with ease. Because it is a petroleum based lube it will also help protect against corrosion. It may be hard find and your local hardware store won't have it. It also is a little more expensive but worth every penny, again IMHO.

http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/S...ating-Oil.aspx

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you put 2 snatch blocks in the rear and only one in the front, the mechanical advantage pulls it backwards:-) I have the videos from "Badlands Offroad Adventues -Winching and Recovery" which detail "all you need to know". Here's the video, but I'm sure you can find a free to view copy online. http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/...ssRelease.html

I liberally applied 3-in-1 oil today, took about 90 minutes. Keeping the cable winds tight on the drum, and keeping it under tension with my off hand the whole time was fun! The cable really soaked it up, so we'll see how it is in a few weeks!

Found this, haven't seen it all, but says reverse pull:

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lubriplate is what we use at work on some chain that gets beat on pretty hard. I couldn't remember the name of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.