Winch cable damaged - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch cable damaged

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try Home Depot.
I was in a local HD the other week and just so happened to notice a few different sizes and lengths hanging up on one of the isles already terminated with hooks if I remember correctly.
That wasn't the reason I was in the store but it just caught my eye.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #17
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
Thanks for that link, I think I am going to just order a new one so I dont have to worry. There are a fair number of times that I go wheeling with just one other jeep so a winch failure could be a real problem.

I have 5/16 right now, my winch is 8000 pound, shuold I go for the 3/8s or is that not necessary?
Personally, I go for the thinnest cable with a breaking strength greater than the capacity of the winch. I've never had a cable give me a hint of trouble pulling BUT have had times when it wasn't long enough! Thinner means you can fit more. In this case 5/16" is rated for just under 10,000# so I'd stick with that...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I first bought and mounted this winch, I hooked onto my friends jeep and put my foot on my break a little and we wound it up really tight and I let it sit a month under tension. It never wound up very good, I have used it 10 or 12 time since March and I have never been able to get it to wind up easy. You shouldnt have to wind up under tension every time right?
You don't need to wind it up SUPER tight. That just puts undue stress on your battery and line. It needs to be tight but there's no need to try and stretch the steel cable or something.

I hook mine to a stationary vehicle or tree and then pull the e-brake on a few clicks (maybe 4 clicks, until the steel line comes off the ground but not so tight that it's totally straight). Watch it as it pulls in to make sure it coils up nice and neat, but it should do it on its own once the first few wraps are lined up. Be careful with fingers near the drum.

Using the regular brake just makes it more difficult and it's harder to get steady, mild tension that way. You don't need to do it every time... but the idea is that you should always pull the line in under slight load. You should never find yourself just winching a loose line into the drum. You'll have a much greater chance of keeping it neat if you follow that rule. As long as there's no spaces for the line to slip down between itself then it should be ok.

It's never perfect though, and depending on how much attention you give it, you'll probably have to replace the line every couple years anyway.

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
Jon_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
here r s couple of pics. What do u guys think?

That rope is no longer safe to use. Get your replacement wire rope from Recovery Gear

Edit: Well, that website has been updated so it doesn't seem to show their specific wire rope products and pricing any more. They were the cheapest around but you'll probably have to call or email them to get an actual price now. I bought two wire rope replacements from them and their prices were better than any other source I've ever found.

But if you have the $$$, I recommend going with a 3/8" synthetic rope like from Viking instead. It costs more initially but it will outlast wire rope if you don't drag it over sharp rocks. I went through three wire ropes in 3-4 years but managed to keep my 3/8" synthetic rope for five years before my TJ that had that winch and rope was stolen earlier this year. Plus synthetic rope is much easier to use and is far safer. I STRONGLY recommend 3/8" over 5/16" when switching to synthetic to provide a bigger safety margin if you have to use it where there are could be sharp edges it might have to be dragged over.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I considered a synthetic when I bought mine, worth the money on the safety factor alone, IMO. But I use my winch a lot more for work around my farm/hunting/fishing property a LOT more than getting my truck unstuck and thought that kinda use would be a sure ticket in fraying the heck out of the thing and basically wasting the money I could use to buy three steel cables.

Now if/when I have to replace the one on my M8000 that's reserved for my GC, I'll prolly go that route. It's pretty much gonna be an emergency use winch and the weight savings would also be a much bigger factor on the front of a GC as opposed to the one on the front of my 7000 lb. truck...

Unread 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to get synthetic but I cannot afford the 300 bucks it would cost me to switch over. In the future I am going to switch but I an saving for a regear, a rear bumper and tire carrier and Tom Woods drive shaft so I really have to watch my money.

I found this on 4wd hardware.

Replacement Winch Line by Mile Marker and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

Any reason this wouldnt work for my smittybuilt? The smittybuilt cable is only 94 feet long and this one is 100, will that be a problem?
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #22
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I think the link I gave you had the OK-Off Road 5/16" x 100' for $59 and that EXACT SAME Mile Marker in your link that's $85 there for $65!!!

and I don't think the extra 6' would be an issue...

Unread 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, now I am thinking of just going ahead and getting synthetic. I am kind of sick of trying to correctly spool the steel cable. I kind of suck at it. Is the synthetic significantly easier to work with and spool up properly after use?

smittybuilt has a deal where you get a free fairlead. Whats everyones opinon on these two:

Synthetic Winch Rope DSK-75 by Smittybilt and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Synthetic Winch Rope DSK-75 by Smittybilt and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

or would I be better off with this:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92124_200.htm
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That rope is no longer safe to use. Get your replacement wire rope from Recovery Gear

Edit: Well, that website has been updated so it doesn't seem to show their specific wire rope products and pricing any more. They were the cheapest around but you'll probably have to call or email them to get an actual price now. I bought two wire rope replacements from them and their prices were better than any other source I've ever found.

But if you have the $$$, I recommend going with a 3/8" synthetic rope like from Viking instead. It costs more initially but it will outlast wire rope if you don't drag it over sharp rocks. I went through three wire ropes in 3-4 years but managed to keep my 3/8" synthetic rope for five years before my TJ that had that winch and rope was stolen earlier this year. Plus synthetic rope is much easier to use and is far safer. I STRONGLY recommend 3/8" over 5/16" when switching to synthetic to provide a bigger safety margin if you have to use it where there are could be sharp edges it might have to be dragged over.
Thanks for the advice Jerry, After reading this I decided to go with Viking 3/8 x 80 feet synthetic line. I ordered it with the line protector and I decided to go with the safety thimble. My winch line is officially worth more than my winch (smittybuilt xrc8)

Now from your previous posts I learned that u can use the regular style fairlead as long as it doesnt have burrs on it right?

Man it was hard to push the order button 300 bucks, but I am really sick of the steel cable, it has given me nothing but trouble. It wound up like crap. I am hoping I have a lot less troubles with synthetic. Hopefully it outlast my winch and I will be transferring it over to a new winch. Again, thanks for the advice everyone.
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now from your previous posts I learned that u can use the regular style fairlead as long as it doesnt have burrs on it right?.
Yep, just file or grind it smooth. The early rumors that you needed a hawse and couldn't use a roller fairlead with synthetic rope proved baseless.

Enjoy that new synthetic rope and Safety Thimble which was developed by our very own mrblaine. I wish I could afford another synthetic rope and Safety Thimble to install on my replacement winch but that'll have to wait for a while longer.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #26
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
You could always shorten it!
This would be better answered in the section I'm about to move it to!

Just trust me! I'm a professional
Another Happy Ending

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damaged wire , replacement wire , steel cable , steel wire , synthetic rope , winch , winch rope

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.