Winch Basics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch Basics

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
gtstricky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Winch Basics

Winches 101

So you are thinking about buying a winch. If you are like me and enjoy calling it a wench instead of winch you probably are new to all this and need a little 411.

Do you need a winch?
Need is a strong word. There are other ways to accomplish the same tasks that a winch helps with. A winch does make recovery a lot easier and I would suggest at least one vehicle with a winch on any off road outing. Plus they are just cool looking. The catch is they are not cheap. Try to talk your buddy into buying it and putting it on his jeep.

How big of a winch?
The common rule is 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. Most TJs weigh about 4000lbs stock. Add some bigger tires and bumper, skid plates, etc and you can get up to 5000lbs quick. Still at 5000lbs a 8000lb winch will do just fine in most situations.

Type?
There are two main types of winches you will hear about, internal solenoid and external solenoid. Internal costs more. With external you can choose where to install the solenoid. Some install it under the hood for a cleaner look. You will want to make sure you can get to it easily if you need to.
Some winches claim to run when submerged. This could be helpful if you find yourself too deep.
Winches come with either steel or synthetic cable. Synthetic seems to have the advantage right now. It is safer (when it breaks it will not snap back as hard), it does not fray and leave sharp spots, and it is lighter.

Brand?
Warn is the industry leader. They are a large company (has many government contracts), provide great customer service, but cost the most. Because of their government contracts, they do maintain manufacturing and assembly plants in the USA however many of the parts are imported. Some will say to buy Warn because it is more American. That is a decision left to you.

There are many other brands: Superwinch, Smittybuilt, Gorilla, Milemarker, Heirbor Freight (aka Chicago Electric).
Here is an older article where they did a torture test of some winches: Jeep Articles / General (Winches In Hell) - MoabJeeper Magazine
You need to consider your use, style, and budget. Keep in mind you get what you paid for. In general, a $300 winch will not perform or last like a $1000 winch however there are many happy winchers with a $300 winch.

Shopping
The internet is your friend. I would recommend talking to the company you are buying from. There are companies that just drop ship from wholesalers and know nothing about the product. Find someone that knows what they are selling and will stand behind the sale.

Installation
There are many threads on here about how to install a winch. One thing to keep in mind is that unless your bumper is winch ready, you will need a winch plate. My basic understanding of a winch plate is that it provides a secure mounting service that helps transfer the load from using a winch to the frame of the vehicle. Most bumpers are not manufactured to deal with an attached winch pulling thousands of pounds from their center point.

Full disclosure:
I am a complete newbie at winches. I am providing this info based on my research over the past month or so. Here is a great article that provides even more detail:
Jeep.US41.org/winch

gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
superwinch , synthetic , warn , winch , winch plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.