winch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > winch

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMarie View Post
what about a smittybilt xrc 8 comp series?
I had the XRC-8 non comp series. That's what I was mentioning above about failure. Now, don't get me wrong, each time it failed they took care of the warranty in a nice, quick way, but I got upset having a winch I no longer trusted out on the trails. If you use it once, maybe twice a year, go for an XRC-8. If you will be using it more than that, go with a Warn M8000 if you're worried about price but still want something with good quality.

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
MarkNog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any 8,000 pound or more winch will work for you, but when your buying it, keep in mine the horsepower of the motor and line speed with a load on it, some cheapo winches go really slow.
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Chinese made? blah, blah. Where a product is assembled really doesn't mean much, other than a personal opinion on economics. What matters is good engineering and the demand placed on quality control. If that is found overseas, then does it matter?

My Superwinch Epi9.0 was assembled in China. Does that make it a bad winch? Because it's line speed, amp draw, reliability along with warranty beg to differ.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
4wheelrampage

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How does this sound?
But remember you probably shouldn't enter, it will increase my odds.
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Warn Industries
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Just an FYI, we are offering a $50 rebate on all of our truck winches until Dec. 31. We're also offering five of our winches with synthetic rope:

VR8000-s
VR10000-s
M8000-s
9.5xp-s
9.5cti-s

http://www.warn.com/truck/new_products.shtml

- Andy
Follow us on Twitter
See us on YouTube
Warn Industries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
I had the XRC-8 non comp series. That's what I was mentioning above about failure. Now, don't get me wrong, each time it failed they took care of the warranty in a nice, quick way, but I got upset having a winch I no longer trusted out on the trails. If you use it once, maybe twice a year, go for an XRC-8. If you will be using it more than that, go with a Warn M8000 if you're worried about price but still want something with good quality.
X2!!! Posting to confirm this is not an isolated incident. I have a non-comp XRC8 as well. It's even the newer series wound 5hp model. It is now sitting on my garage floor after something let go inside, and it will not spool in under a load. It was 2.5 years old when it died. I have not bothered to tear into it and order parts yet.
I replaced it with a used Warn XD9000i that I bought from a friend that sold one of his rigs. It has been working great and is faster with less battery drain than the old, newer XRC8. With the money I spent on both winches, I could of bought a brand new Warn from the start.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #22
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
X2!!! Posting to confirm this is not an isolated incident. I have a non-comp XRC8 as well. It's even the newer series wound 5hp model. It is now sitting on my garage floor after something let go inside, and it will not spool in under a load. It was 2.5 years old when it died. I have not bothered to tear into it and order parts yet.
I replaced it with a used Warn XD9000i that I bought from a friend that sold one of his rigs. It has been working great and is faster with less battery drain than the old, newer XRC8. With the money I spent on both winches, I could of bought a brand new Warn from the start.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #23
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

My girlfriend bought me a rough country winch for my birthday. So far so good. I have used it about 8-10 times since march. Its a little slow but has preformed well thus far.
So far this year I have seen two different Warn winches malfunction when we needed them. One of them the controller wouldn't work at all. The other one would not stop pulling winch line in.
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I know I've posted this before but my old man has had the same Warn he bought used when I was in junior high, I'm in my 40s now. I've had an M8000 for almost seven years, used it hard clearing timber at my small piece of farm property when it was on my truck. It's now on my Jeep and I have an XD9000i on my truck now for three years. Also have a Warn 2.5 on my ATV since '06.

None have EVER let me down yet! I very seriously doubt ANY Chinese winch would last the almost 30 years my old man's Warn 8274 has lasted him.

If you've got it to spend, spend the extra for a Warn...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
HMTwin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd put my Superwinch EPi9 against a Warn any day. Not saying a Warn isn't good. They're great in fact. But the Superwinch is just as good.
2004 Yellow Sport - AA SYE, 4" Long Arm Lift, ARBs front and rear, sPod switch panel, 33x12.50 Goodrich ATs, SuperWinch EPi9.0 on a dicked up AtoZ mount plate (you suck AtoZ!) LoD Tire Carrier. Bunch of other small stuff.
Homebuilt Stroked Hardtail
Tons o Guitars
Life is Good
HMTwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Theres been a Warn 8274 on the front of my Jeep for as long as I can remember (Dad's old Jeep). Funny thing is, it will still pick the back wheels up off of the ground if when you tie it to the bottom of an old fence post (with about 150# of concrete on the bottom) and try to pull it out of the ground

That one got fun....
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

And don't forget to get a good battery...very important, no matter what winch you buy. Battery goes dead it doesn't matter what you have up front...

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #28
Vidder
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i don't off road all that much, once in a while on mostly simple trails...if i were to buy a winch for "just in case" stuff, how many pounds should one be looking for?
Vidder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All winches are for just in case situations. 8000 lbs is the norm. Could you use a 3000lb atv winch with a bunch of snatch blocks? I guess so. You could winch with a hi-lift jack too. Probably at the same speed as the atv winch.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #30
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Warn M8000. 8000 lbs of reliability. I think mine was about $550. It was a birthday present. Only problem was it is difficult to mount the box over the wires as the instructions show, so I mounted it on the other side. Also, the rubber-ish decal on top of mine came off sometime recently, but Ill just e-mail Warn and they will probably send another one. They sent me a free windshield decal when I inquired last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.