Why does a locker pull your front X tire off the ground? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why does a locker pull your front X tire off the ground?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why does a locker pull your front X tire off the ground?

So I've gotten a heavy foot pulling out of intersections or drives, usually turnin' left, and pull the front left wheel off the ground. RARELY does it with the right wheel. Why does it do this?
I'm locked full time in the rear with a Spartan and it just baffles me that it does this now.

CountryBoysZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now wait? Your running a full time locker in the rear? On pavement? That just sounds horrible to drive and scary amounts of stress and wear....but do you have a locker in the front? If you dont have a locker in the front, I'm betting its the twisting motion lifting the front tire off the ground because both rear wheels are spinning at the same speed for the turn, kinda like a tri-axle dump truck with its 3rd axle that gets raised and lowered, when lowered and making a turn, it'll twist a frame because the 3rd rear axle is a binding point.
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242
Now wait? Your running a full time locker in the rear? On pavement? That just sounds horrible to drive and scary amounts of stress and wear....but do you have a locker in the front? If you dont have a locker in the front, I'm betting its the twisting motion lifting the front tire off the ground because both rear wheels are spinning at the same speed for the turn, kinda like a tri-axle dump truck with its 3rd axle that gets raised and lowered, when lowered and making a turn, it'll twist a frame because the 3rd rear axle is a binding point.
I wouldn't call it "locked all the time" because it will give to a certain extent, but it is a "lunch box" locker. 99% of the time, I can't even feel it back there. There is that 1% that I can, but it ain't bad.
No full time in the front. Installed an E-Locker and Chrome-Moly axles so it's selectable.
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How tall is your lift, and is it short or long arm?

Now, I'm going to guess that it's at least 4" of suspension lift on a short arm system.

Front end geometry with the sway bar and track bar don't allow for much tire droop with that much lift. So you're applying torque to your chassis through your engine mounts (when you have binding in the rear diff that bind and torque travels up through your drivetrain), lifting your driver's front end. The acceleration prevents the passenger front from squatting, so what you get is a tire off the ground.

Lower your suspension a little, or deal with it until you upgrade to longer arms.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
Now wait? Your running a full time locker in the rear? On pavement? That just sounds horrible to drive and scary amounts of stress and wear....
Not necessarily, not all automatic (aka full-time) lockers are poorly behaved. I have driven over 120K miles with my rear Detroit Locker which is a totally well behaved locker. Once I had driven it 3-4 days to learn how it liked to be driven, it was very well behaved after that. No one riding with me could tell it had a rear (and a front) automatic locker.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I kind of figured it had to do this geometry. I have no problem at all with it, I know the limits and how much I can get on it with the sway bar connected. Just kind of curious as to why it did so.
Off topic, but Jerry, I decided on 30 spline E-Locker and shafts for the front. Air doesn't appeal to me for some reason.
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoysZJ View Post
I wouldn't call it "locked all the time" because it will give to a certain extent, but it is a "lunch box" locker. 99% of the time, I can't even feel it back there. There is that 1% that I can, but it ain't bad.
No full time in the front. Installed an E-Locker and Chrome-Moly axles so it's selectable.
Oh I gotcha, I have an aussie, didnt realize thats what you were running, then again its in my trail rig that I had to rebuild the engine before I even pop its cherry on a trail run so short of driving on the trailer home and off into the garage, I havent driven it. I was thinking somewhere that you had a full lock, what an ARB would be like I guess and you just left them on....then again I really wasnt thinking...lets just say it was a long day and then a late night.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.