Why does everyone hate on Smittybilt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why does everyone hate on Smittybilt?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
JeremyPitts
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why does everyone hate on Smittybilt?

You read the title. Why does everyone hate on smittybilt? I recently put on their xrc tube fenders and didn't have any problems at all and I love them. Constantly on this forum I see hate on them with no explanation. What is the problem here?

Unread 05-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPitts View Post
You read the title. Why does everyone hate on smittybilt? I recently put on their xrc tube fenders and didn't have any problems at all and I love them. Constantly on this forum I see hate on them with no explanation. What is the problem here?
Is this your first smittybilt product or have you seen some of their other products? I've heard horror stories of bolts not lining up for bumpers. They are notorious for making knock offs of other companies designs, I've seen some ugly booger welds and "tough" powder coat finishes rust in one winter, not really my cup of tea.
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't we have this exact thread a month or two ago? On phone or I would link it. I don't think there is anything that wasn't captured in that thread.
Unread 05-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Because today's Smittybilt is nothing but an importer of Chinese products. The current owners of Smittybilt bought the rights to use the Smittybilt name when old-man Smitty died so it's not the same company that everyone grew up loving. What also came with buying the rights to use that name was Smitty's sterling reputation but which was based on products old man Smitty manufactured here in the U.S. In my strictly personal opinion, I have seen enough junk with Smittybilt's name on it that I wouldn't even consider buying anything with their name on it. The latest I saw was their swing-out tire carrier which uses a joke (a hollow steel tube) for a swing-out pivot point support. It looked cool until I started looking past its cool wrinkle finish. Again, all this is strictly in my personal opinion.

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to the drama filled thread asking the same question from a couple months back. And yes, my opinion was posted in it, too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...osity-2981481/

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My only Smitty and Procomp are they the same co.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
nolanbalzarini
1998 XJ Cherokee 

isnt smittybilt and poison spider owned by the same entity?
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanbalzarini View Post
PSC was just recently bought out by Smitty...we'll see how long before they start outsourcing
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanbalzarini View Post
Smittybilt, ProComp, G2, 4Wheel Parts, Poison Spyder, 4Wheel Drive Hardware, Rubicon Express and a few others are all owned by the Adler family at Transamerican Auto Parts in Compton CA.

Unread 05-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
fiftycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Smittybilt, ProComp, G2, 4Wheel Parts, Poison Spyder, 4Wheel Drive Hardware, Rubicon Express and a few others are all owned by the Adler family at Transamerican Auto Parts in Compton CA.
Was going to say this. Transamerican Auto Parts has been buying up American manufacturers and outsourcing the labor and manufacturing to China now for years. Pretty much making it almost impossible for small American owned and operated businesses to compete in the market. Just look at 4WD and 4Wheel Parts. No way small dealers can compete and ship freight items for free and still turn a profit to stay in business. Those that are trying to compete have to keep a very high standard of customer service and product quality.

If you need parts do us all a favor and dont buy anything owned by Transamerican. Buy American made and buy local. Transamerican is getting close if not already having the makings of monopoly of the off-road parts industry.
fiftycal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #11
Warhound
1997 TJ Wrangler 

because the moved over seas and make junk now not like the old days
Warhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #12
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Because today's Smittybilt is nothing but an importer of Chinese products. The current owners of Smittybilt bought the rights to use the Smittybilt name when old-man Smitty died so it's not the same company that everyone grew up loving. What also came with buying the rights to use that name was Smitty's sterling reputation but which was based on products old man Smitty manufactured here in the U.S. In my strictly personal opinion, I have seen enough junk with Smittybilt's name on it that I wouldn't even consider buying anything with their name on it. The latest I saw was their swing-out tire carrier which uses a joke (a hollow steel tube) for a swing-out pivot point support. It looked cool until I started looking past its cool wrinkle finish. Again, all this is strictly in my personal opinion.

Jerry,

I was glad to read that because I've been in and out of Jeeps over the last 20 years. I noticed the last few Jeeps every time I buy a Smittybilt product, it doesn't seem quite right... reminds me of a Chinese knock-off.

I thought it was just me but now that you say there was an ownership change, it all makes sense because I remember back in the day when you bought Smittybilt, you were buying a quality product.

Of course, now that I'm back into it, I've kept buying Smittybilt out of habit, this all makes sense now.

Mark
orangecrush03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WOW I did not know they also owned PS, I knew about the others and it seams like the quality of all have gone downhill .

I hope they don't buy any other US companies to outsource them. Most of there other takeovers have become nothing more than a name of the former company that made 1st quality products and that is why you buy a company. Not to turn it into a Chinese Manufacturing Co. with a USA name and make product buyers like me think I am still buying a USA made product.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post

WOW I did not know they also owned PS, I knew about the others and it seams like the quality of all have gone downhill .

I hope they don't buy any other US companies to outsource them. Most of there other takeovers have become nothing more than a name of the former company that made 1st quality products and that is why you buy a company. Not to turn it into a Chinese Manufacturing Co. with a USA name and make product buyers like me think I am still buying a USA made product.
15 years ago when I was into building bicycles, the same thing was happening. A couple Chinese companies were buying up all the classic French, Italian and English cycling brands and putting the names on generic frames with cheap components and flooding the market with them.

Seeing that happen when I was younger is part of what made me suspicious of brands that become too prominent in the marketplace. Popularity has very little to do with quality these days. Cheap fashion is what most people spend their money on. All the brands mentioned earlier fit into that category, except for PS who will likely go that direction soon.
Unread 05-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
15 years ago when I was into building bicycles, the same thing was happening. A couple Chinese companies were buying up all the classic French, Italian and English cycling brands and putting the names on generic frames with cheap components and flooding the market with them.
Did that happen to Olmo too? I had a fine well equipped Olmo road bike when I was a teenager and when I went into the military, I took its wheels off & hung the frame in the garage rafters so it'd be out of the way and remain undamaged. Fully Campagnolo equipped. Just before I came home from overseas, my dad saw it apart in the rafters while cleaning out the garage and thought it was junk & set it on the street for the trashman. I was stunned after my dad told me what happened to it since a bike shop had offered me big $$$ for it as a trade-in for an even better road bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.