Why do people buy stuff?? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #76
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's advertising jargon?

What's real?

Understanding the difference requires a little education. Too many people in this hobby lack the foundation to make their own decisions based on solid, logical reasoning or are just too lazy to care. That's one of the biggest problems as to why so many Jeeps are built like crap (and I'm using my own personal definition of 'crap.' Your results may vary.)

At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #77
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser1 View Post
I don't backpedal.....and agree the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd is bad for this sport and all others. I do feel it is unfortunate some people feel responsible use of alcohol is inappropriate or unsafe. Having a cold one does not mean one is intoxicated or acting in an irresponsible/unsafe manner. I apologize if my lifestyle, behavior or statement has offended or threatened you in any way.
Nothing wrong with responsible use of alcohol. But on a Venn diagram comparing responsible use of alcohol and operation of a motor vehicle there is no overlap IMO and I choose not to wheel with people who feel otherwise.
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #78
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Nothing wrong with responsible use of alcohol. But on a Venn diagram comparing responsible use of alcohol and operation of a motor vehicle there is no overlap IMO and I choose not to wheel with people who feel otherwise.
I agree.
I do like my beer but it does not belong on the trail. That would include passengers as well.
Even spectaters.
I was at Flat Nasty offroad park a number of years ago.
They have a hill there called Get It Billy. It has a bounty on it. You pay at the gait and if you are able to get up it you collect the bounty.
There was a guy that was trying to get up it, people were watching, the guy hit a rock and it rolled down the hill.
The crowd moved away except one guy. The rock pinched him inbetween the rock and a tree. It killed him.
From what I understand he had been drinking.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #79
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I think that is the point. "Responsible use of alcohol" and "safe operation of a motor vehicle" are contradictory to each other and makes the first phrase incorrect by default.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I also have an '01 Durango R/T, which besides being my other ride, tows the Jeep places. It's stock except for performance things, mainly because it tows 6,000 lbs, and at altitude (my house is at 5,500', and things usually go up from there to the trail).

So, I also hang out on a couple Dodge and Durango forums. Daymn, they do some dumb shtako. This one guy was bragging and showing photos of his added newly dual shocks on the back of his 12" lifted Durango (yeah, a foot!). I asked where he went off-road, already knowing the answer. Sure enough, he was all proud of it being a concrete queen (his term), saying going off-road breaks stuff, which cost money. .... after already buying a bunch of crap he'll never use.

I wouldn't mention it here, but I had to because of the off-road aspect.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #81
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I also have an '01 Durango R/T, which besides being my other ride, tows the Jeep places. It's stock except for performance things, mainly because it tows 6,000 lbs, and at altitude (my house is at 5,500', and things usually go up from there to the trail).

So, I also hang out on a couple Dodge and Durango forums. Daymn, they do some dumb shtako. This one guy was bragging and showing photos of his added newly dual shocks on the back of his 12" lifted Durango (yeah, a foot!). I asked where he went off-road, already knowing the answer. Sure enough, he was all proud of it being a concrete queen (his term), saying going off-road breaks stuff, which cost money. .... after already buying a bunch of crap he'll never use.

I wouldn't mention it here, but I had to because of the off-road aspect.
Don-
I'm confused about your point of this entire thread. First you drop a question that starts out in somewhat of a confronting tone, then a few pages into the discussion you attempt to steer it toward a philosophical "I just want to know what makes people tic" mode, and now you're back to calling Mr. Durango a 'dumb shtako'.

What's the point? Here's why I ask...

My Jeep serves as a great summer convertible for my family and I and rarely if ever goes off-road. (Gasp! Did he ACTUALLY just admit that??? )

Do I need a OME lift? No..but my Jeep has one. You see, the longer I own this Jeep, the future-mods I do are still geared toward building a great off-road rig. I don't see the need for a stinger, or even a winch for my own use, but I do like the thought of getting rid of the damn UGLY SHOVEL under this thing, so my current planning revolves around a future tummy tuck. Will it get it's due use under my Jeep? Maybe not, but it certainly makes for a more capable rig. I like my Jeep, and what's not to like about a better, more capable Jeep? (rhetorical question)

Does this fact that I don't off-road my rig and have these mods somehow make me somehow less intelligent? Less worthy? Or maybe just a 'poor decision' as you said at the end of your first post?

Please explain...

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #82
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Having participated in this thread and being sympathetic to Don's frustration, I think I can safely say that, based on what you describe for yourself, you are not the "type" that is being discussed.

OME lifts and a properly done tummy tuck are good, smart upgrades. They certainly are not mods purely intended to show off, since only those in the know will really understand. Good mods and smart upgrades will always be good and smart. The necessity on a street Jeep might be questioned, but that might be a different discussion.

Again, what you describe for your Jeep is very different than a 12" lifted Durango. You are not modding your rig anywhere to the point of insecurity-obscuring, comical dysfunction the way so many white sunglasses bro-dozers are.

If you start loading your spotless Jeep up with light bars, super swampers, jerry cans, picks, shovels, jacks and big stickers proclaiming how tough you are at the grocery store, then you might rightly earn some criticism. It's all a matter of degree (and the audience).

I was criticised earlier for saying that we should defend more of our decisions more often to each other. I still stand by that-especially if the debate results in a greater understanding. The fact of the matter is that, whether expressed or not, judgements exist. Some are less easily dismissed than others.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #83
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My favorite thing I see on street jeeps is the infamous "if you can read this, roll me over" sticker on a jeep that has less aggressive tires than my wifes Nissan Sentra. Chances are if I can read that sticker its because the driver pulled out in front of a Peterbuilt and it tossed the jeep 1/4 mile down the road on its lid. When I still had my YJ, I made very conscious decision to only do things that had a purpose, instead of going for a "look". As it was, I got the "look" most people want, but the difference was it all had a function. I think most people just want the look of being "offroady" and that look to them is the promo vehicles that are in the catalogs, covered in every piece that the respective company produces.

Form over function is what most people want. They think having 12 100w lights and chicken wire over the headlights gives the perception of off road vehicle, and to many it does. But to those that have been on the trails and have seen what works its better to not spend money on "nick nacks" and instead go for items that offer a real return on the purchase price.

But ultimately its their jeep and their money. If a soccer mom or an accountant in a Rubicon are happy with a bunch of lights (that may or may not be wired correctly, or at all) and a clever sticker, then who am I to judge? Just don't try to tell me you offroad all the time and the chicken wire head light guards make a difference.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #84
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Having participated in this thread and being sympathetic to Don's frustration, I think .... that we should defend more of our decisions more often to each other.
Thanks for your post. Yes, that's exactly what it's about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
But ultimately its their jeep and their money... who am I to judge?
Sure you can judge, people judge people all the time. You're all judging me here on my opinions, as I am yours. Sure, "it's my Jeep I can do what I want" is a 100% valid explanation. However a reply comment of, "yeah, but it's ridiculous and you have no clue" is also a valid answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.