Why do people buy stuff?? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #61
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm07 View Post
Freedom my friends, it's all about Freedom.
This was never about the high level of why, "it's my Jeep" or "because I can". It's all about the lower level why, the "I need the stinger in case I brake too hard and start to flip my JK."

The "I just think it's cool!" is an answer that works, definitely. You can wear a pink thong in public because you think it's cool too, but don't think people won't brand you nuts (no pun intended regarding 'thong' and 'nuts' in same sentence ).

Unread 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #62
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
“Every man holds his property subject to the general right of the community to regulate its use to whatever degree the public welfare may require it.”
Yes, and if people wanted to start removing the brakes off their jeep then we all might object to that, but the public welfare has nothing to do with the kind of stuff people are *****ing about here (e.g. stingers, big wheels, too many lights, etc.).

I graduated from an Ivy League law school. I understand the arguments you're trying to make, but you are reaching way beyond reasonableness.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #63
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
This was never about the high level of why, "it's my Jeep" or "because I can". It's all about the lower level why, the "I need the stinger in case I brake too hard and start to flip my JK."

The "I just think it's cool!" is an answer that works, definitely. You can wear a pink thong in public because you think it's cool too, but don't think people won't brand you nuts (no pun intended regarding 'thong' and 'nuts' in same sentance ).
You can call me nut's all you like, this thong looks good on me.
ItsJustD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #64
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I graduated from an Ivy League law school. I understand the arguments you're trying to make, but you are reaching way beyond reasonableness.
Most here will be dismayed to know I have a few too many fancy arts degrees supplemented with a good amount of history, philosophy, theology, etc. I'm conditioned to challenge and question, even when it comes to things I like--despite the crippling self-doubt it brings.

Trust me. My soap box on the matter is quite small. There is an element of hyperbolic humor behind the reaching. Are we not investigating the sometimes odd and hyperbolic preparedness and customizing that is inherent to most motor sports? Firearms? Bicycles? Organic Farming? Every sub-culture has it own hyperbole.
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #65
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The notion of "It's my business, no need to explain to you why." gets weak when you are talking about things that are displayed in public. Hanging your stupid out there for all to see will generate mental and verbal comments by others, guaranteed. There should be a "jeepsofwalmart.com".
Well, then if you are going to question this, do you question why thousands of people buy a Jeep, especially the Rubicons, who will never even take it on a dirt road? After all, what is the rational behind owning a purpose built off-road vehicle if they will only use it to drive to walmart or the grocery store? Even though I agree with the idea of building a rig based on what sort of wheeling will be done, I have to think back to something Jerry Bransford wrote during a thread regarding the new JKs, primarily the 2wd 4-doors. If I remember what he said, it was to the effect that if that was what Jeep needed to do and people were willing to buy them, then that was fine since it kept the brand alive. In a sense, the same thing applies here. People see the bumpers, snorkels, winches, etc... that they like that they will likely never use but the money that they spend is real enough to the manufacturer of the parts and help them stay afloat in this economy so that they can continue to provide parts for those who will use them.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #66
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There should be a "jeepsofwalmart.com".
Classsssic! That would be some funny stuff!
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #67
Loser1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chrome tube bumpers, headlight guards, simulated beadlocks, Thornbirds, stingers, transfer case drop kits, 3" body lifts, snorkels, it all provides a parade of entertainment when pulled over on a trail having a cold one...
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #68
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser1 View Post
Chrome tube bumpers, headlight guards, simulated beadlocks, Thornbirds, stingers, transfer case drop kits, 3" body lifts, snorkels, it all provides a parade of entertainment when pulled over on a trail having a cold one...
Having a cold one while still on the trail is a worse idea than all of those other things.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #69
EmpireCovers

Maybe because "It's a Jeep thing; You wouldn't understand"

Owning a Jeep definitely gives more room for upgrades/improvements/modifications than other vehicles. You can really personalize your Jeep for whatever you want (even if you don't use it for those rugged activities). I say, the more the merrier, as long as you are having fun with it!
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #70
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireCovers View Post
Maybe because "It's a Jeep thing; You wouldn't understand
That's another laughable thing people buy into. There are virtually hundreds of "It's a **** thing, you wouldn't understand" t-shirts and such, yet lemmings still think it cool.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #71
Loser1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Having a cold one while still on the trail is a worse idea than all of those other things.
Wow...you assume "a cold one" is alcohol...and if it is, you assume the individual is irresponsible with it while being on a trail.....open up your small mind!
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #72
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow...you assume "a cold one" is alcohol...
The typical usage of the term refers to beer. But you knew that already and just wanted to toss it out there for the shock effect.

Since I'm in my jammies on my home computer...
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #73
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow...you assume "a cold one" is alcohol...and if it is, you assume the individual is irresponsible with it while being on a trail.....open up your small mind!
Don't be pedantic. You know what you meant and now you are backpedalling. And if it is alcohol there is no amount on the trail that is responsible. The "hold my beer and watch this" crowd is so bad for our sport. And if you disagree with that then your user name is 100% appropriate.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #74
Loser1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't be pedantic. You know what you meant and now you are backpedalling. And if it is alcohol there is no amount on the trail that is responsible. The "hold my beer and watch this" crowd is so bad for our sport. And if you disagree with that then your user name is 100% appropriate.
I don't backpedal.....and agree the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd is bad for this sport and all others. I do feel it is unfortunate some people feel responsible use of alcohol is inappropriate or unsafe. Having a cold one does not mean one is intoxicated or acting in an irresponsible/unsafe manner. I apologize if my lifestyle, behavior or statement has offended or threatened you in any way.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #75
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's another laughable thing people buy into. There are virtually hundreds of "It's a **** thing, you wouldn't understand" t-shirts and such, yet lemmings still think it cool.
People fall for marketing and catch phrases. Got milk? Got ......? That's another one that won't die.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.