Why do people buy stuff?? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #46
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you guys heard of the "100 Things Rule"? It is a movement, started I think by a book title 100 Things. I read most of it. The idea is anti-consumerist, green, etc. No person needs more than 100 things. They count every personal item including clothing. Anyways, I do not think that any of us will make it. Ever heard of your "spark plug index"? Count up all of your spark plugs, I have more than a hundred (not really) there alone.

We did just fine without cell phones, computers for most of human history. I have the devilish devices but I do not let them run my life the way young people do today. But we purchase things because we want them, appreciate them and occasionally actually need them.

J

3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #47
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I'm far from that! It took me three years to notice she has green eyes...
She has eyes??

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #48
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Oh, I forgot, my favorite! Guards for the headlights that never need guarding (ever hear of anyone breaking a headlight off-road?). And $50 guards for tail lights that cost $25.
I will comment on the headlight guards... Ive had several smash on the highway from people cutting me off. I went through 2 or 3 sealed beams, and 2 or 3 housings before I found a nice set of guards. since then; no rocks damage them.

I do also have some offroad lights but have never gone out to play at night... but they did save me a few times working nights out of town; and being able to see in snowstorms.

Honestly, a LOT of what I add on to my jeep is to protect it on the road (or in a parking lot), more than anything.

I guess I should also say that I am a firm believer in having something; but not needing it; because if you do EVER need it; its nice to have it. (Especially if I can DIY or build it myself MUCH cheaper; and it gives me something to do.)
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #49
cwadej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I buy stuff just to annoy others to the point that they have to cry about it on the interwebs 87 times.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #50
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is an example of why I started this thread, to understand this guy...

I was driving home just now and spotted a non-Rubicon JK 4dr, completely stock, zero mods, except... it had an aftermarket front bumper with a stinger. Really? Even if he plans to build it up, that's the first mod he buys?
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #51
Zooshoveller
1988 XJ Cherokee 

One must always be prepared for an apocalypse.

I think the answer to "why" will mostly be for looks. To get attention. That's the reason. If it turns a head or sparks a hint of jealousy from someone else, then it has functioned the way the owner intended.

Some people buy things "just in case", and that's great. Winches, fire extinguishers, extra lights, first aid kits, body armor, etc. You never know if you may need them.
Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
Megs_Revenge
2005 WK 

To quote the man in my life: "Because I can."

You can wonder why till those tasty little cows come home. Perhaps next time you see said Jeeper with a mod that makes you question things, and you have the opportunity, ask THEM...

Did I need a HEMI? No. Do I need bright azz reverse lights and a LED light bar on the front? No. Do I want them and can pony up the cash? Yup.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Silver"]Silver WK club #69[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Silver"]Oo|||||||oO[/COLOR][/FONT]
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #53
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The laissez faire response to questioning other people's decisions seems to be a cop out. A lot of poor choices get made when things go unquestioned. Mall crawlers, Juggalos, paleo diets, H2s, Free Mumia, Red Bull, hemp shirts, skinny jeans, white framed bro sungalsses, bro culture in general, etc. I'll be the first to say we can do, buy, build, feel whatever we want as long as no one else is needlessly hurt. However, I do feel we should be made to defend our choices more often to each other. If for no other reason than to understand why we do what we do. You are free to do what you want, but I am also free to be critical of what you do as much as I am free to be approving. If we can talk about it, we both might learn something.
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #54
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
However, I do feel we should be made to defend our choices more often to each other. If for no other reason than to understand why we do what we do. You are free to do what you want, but I am also free to be critical of what you do as much as I am free to be approving. If we can talk about it, we both might learn something.
But why? Why should I be made to owe you any explanation for the mods that I do to my Jeep? As long as I can justify them to myself, what makes you think that you are really owed anything? If I give an explanation, it is only because I choose to. Yes, you have a right to be critical, but your opinion, which is all it really is in the grand scheme, means NOTHING. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Less than a dog fart.
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #55
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here is an example of why I started this thread, to understand this guy...

I was driving home just now and spotted a non-Rubicon JK 4dr, completely stock, zero mods, except... it had an aftermarket front bumper with a stinger. Really? Even if he plans to build it up, that's the first mod he buys?
Well, this points out the perils of taking someone else's inventory.

That guy parks in a company parking lot where the boss regularly makes contact with his stock bumper in a Suburban. He is ending that practice right off the bat.

. . . . Or a hundred other reasons you know exactly zero about.
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #56
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog12 View Post

But why? Why should I be made to owe you any explanation for the mods that I do to my Jeep? As long as I can justify them to myself, what makes you think that you are really owed anything? If I give an explanation, it is only because I choose to. Yes, you have a right to be critical, but your opinion, which is all it really is in the grand scheme, means NOTHING. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Less than a dog fart.
Correct. My opinion might ultimately mean nothing to you. For better or for worse, you absolutely have the freedom to ignore outside criticism. Yet, you are missing the point that if one is asked to articulate the foggy nebulous reasons for why they decided to put 15 hi-lift jacks on their hood, then a better understanding will arise of why that may or may not be a poor decision. The discourse goes both directions. It can and should be for the benefit of both sides. How do you think any human development took place and evolved over time? Through discourse and debate. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Similarly, arguably bad/stupid things can happen inside an echo chamber when no one from the outside asks "why?".
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #57
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The notion of "It's my business, no need to explain to you why." gets weak when you are talking about things that are displayed in public. Hanging your stupid out there for all to see will generate mental and verbal comments by others, guaranteed. There should be a "jeepsofwalmart.com".
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #58
pm07
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Freedom my friends, it's all about Freedom.
pm07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #59
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are spending way too many brain cells on this. We're talking about jeeps here, not interpreting the Constitution. Their jeeps. They can do what they want. If they're happy good for them. For all of you judging are your jeeps perfect? A wise man once said something to the efffect of let he who is blameless cast the first stone.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #60
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
We're talking about jeeps here, not interpreting the Constitution.

....For all of you judging are your jeeps perfect? A wise man once said something to the efffect of let he who is blameless cast the first stone.
Oh it relates! The way we conduct ourselves individually both publicly and privately is a reflection of how we conduct ourselves as a nation both publicly and privately. Everything is a continuum if you care to blaze the trail. Jeeps all the way to constitutional law.

Since we are quoting wise men...

“Every man holds his property subject to the general right of the community to regulate its use to whatever degree the public welfare may require it.”

Theodore Roosevelt
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.