Why do people buy stuff?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I can't figure out why people think they're the first to use either an old de-milled grenade or a pool ball on their shifter. That was old school shortly after Henry Ford made the assembly line. Do it if you want but don't start posting OMG what a great idea I just had! about it.

Other than that catalogs are the devil. All sorts of things you don't need and will never use all just a few clicks away
Hmmmm my winch came from one of those catalogs. So did my lift and locker , and wheels. I've used them all quite a bit

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Unread 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Hmmmm my winch came from one of those catalogs. So did my lift and locker , and wheels. I've used them all quite a bit.
Agreed, I don't think the existence of the catalog causes the phenomenon. I guess it comes down to what a person thinks is cool or not, without necessarily understanding why. What items get someones 'submit order' click is what intrigues me.

As was mentioned above, I think there is a lot of, "I have a new Jeep, so I have to make it look like all the other cool Jeeps, even though I have no clue why."
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't need headlight guards do we. Air conditioning isn't necessary either which is a huge drag on mileage. how about four -wheel drive? think that weight doesn't affect mileage? got either of those on your jeep Joker Don? next time I'm out in my rig punching a huge hole in the ozone I'll be thinking of you.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #34
gemiller
2008 WK 

I think this topic realistically is kind of absurd. Under this logic, you never need an iPhone, iPad, most people don't need computers or aquariums, etc. The list could go on and on. Jeeps are just like anything else. If you do what intrigues you, within your budget, and hurting no one else than that's what you do. This post intention is almost like saying well since I got aftermarket wheels with my tires i'm buying stuff I don't need. Well, I suppose thanks for pointing out the obvious but it's what I wanted.

And honestly, a jeep is kind of a fashion statement. For every 100 jeeps on the road 1 of them is probably the only likely one to every see anything more than the oddball dirt lane. This isn't true to the population on this forum i'd like to think, but nevertheless without those other 99 people jeep wouldn't keep producing the vehicle for the small community that represents us.

I tinker with my jeep/cars/bikes/whatever else because it's my passion. Building something from the ground up, regardless of everything is "for function", is what I enjoy doing with my spare time, give me a wrench and a new part and I'm like a fat kid in a candy shop.
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #35
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud100 View Post
Don't need headlight guards do we. Air conditioning isn't necessary either which is a huge drag on mileage. how about four -wheel drive? think that weight doesn't affect mileage? got either of those on your jeep Joker Don? next time I'm out in my rig punching a huge hole in the ozone I'll be thinking of you.
Think about all of us:
"The Jeep comes top of the green pile because CNW moves beyond the usual C02 emissions figures and uses a "dust-to-dust" calculation of a car's environmental impact, from its creation to its ultimate destruction."

Jeep Wrangler: Is this the greenest car on sale?
Could a sports utility vehicle be greener than a hybrid car? By Sean O'Grady

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...le-423233.html

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #36
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As far as this post. It all depends on how you look at it. There are many people that bought things that though they need and would serve them well but had they done a little research they maybe could have made a better decision.

The head light guard is a good example. If you bought it thinking it would protect your lights you could have been let down. If you did you research you would have found that it wouldn't have been of any benefit for you. If you are buying it just because you like they way it looks, that would be different.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure why people here are getting so angry, so defensive. I was/am just honestly curious about why people decide what to do to their Jeeps. I agree with the 'fashion statement' analogy, sort of the case with most any vehicle I guess. Some mods are pretty universally acknowledged here as being a wise choice, like maybe a winch or a suspension lift and larger tires. Other things are pretty universally acknowledged here as being a bad choice, like maybe a 3" body lift, or a locker and 35" tires on a D35 axle. A lot of other things fall into the fashion statement category, just a bolt on catalog thing that the buyer thinks looks cool or thinks they need. I was just trying to understand why people make these choices.

I'm sorry if I poked a nerve in some of you with this thread. I guess my OP was more of a shrink question than a Jeep question, wrong forum.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #38
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder the same thing when I see an otherwise nice-looking Wrangler with crap like tube bumpers, nerf bars, chrome accents, etc. For what you spent on all of that tacky junk, you could have a nice looking Jeep for a lot less.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Hmmmm my winch came from one of those catalogs. So did my lift and locker , and wheels. I've used them all quite a bit

You might have met your wife at a gay bar, doesnt mean you should take home everyone you meet there

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
You might have met your wife at a gay bar, doesnt mean you should take home everyone you meet there
If I was in a bad mood I could take that as a personal attack. Its a good think you have that smily in there ! Lol

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
eastcoastcam
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I'm not sure why people here are getting so angry, so defensive. I was/am just honestly curious about why people decide what to do to their Jeeps. I agree with the 'fashion statement' analogy, sort of the case with most any vehicle I guess. Some mods are pretty universally acknowledged here as being a wise choice, like maybe a winch or a suspension lift and larger tires. Other things are pretty universally acknowledged here as being a bad choice, like maybe a 3" body lift, or a locker and 35" tires on a D35 axle. A lot of other things fall into the fashion statement category, just a bolt on catalog thing that the buyer thinks looks cool or thinks they need. I was just trying to understand why people make these choices.

I'm sorry if I poked a nerve in some of you with this thread. I guess my OP was more of a shrink question than a Jeep question, wrong forum.
I honestly have found reading this thread quite entertaining .
I think pretty well everything I have done to my Jeep so far has been functional, rather than fashion. I first got my rear bumper w/hitch in it, as an actual hitch cost me about the same. I have a bike rack that I put in it, a rack for my canoe that goes in it, and I pull a small cargo trailer from time to time. I would say that was a functional mod. Winch, is well, self explanatory, and was a gift and used LOTS for my own recovery, and that of others; so again, functional mod. I have 2 sets of rims & tires (1 31" street set, used for light wheeling too sometimes; and a larger set of TSL Radials for most trails.). I prefer to not waste what is left on the TSLs on pavement, like I did for a whole spring/summer/fall of daily use. A little lift, to clear the larger tires.

I plan a whole new round of functional mods in the next year or so like skid plates and such.

I haven't figured out why people buy stuff they don't need either. I figure there is no room in a TJ to have a bunch of stuff that serves no use to the duties at hand. That's just me though.
eastcoastcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #42
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post

Not at all Don. I though this was a pretty fun and informative thread. I don't think there's a Jeeper out there without an extra box or three of stuff they put on there rig, then eventually decided it wasn't the right thing to do. If everyone made the right choice all the time, then the classified section would be empty.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #43
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I for one always wondered why people bought budget boost for their JKs. You have to take out the springs anyways, and the difference between the kits is only a couple hundred dollars.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #44
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don:

This is the problem with getting old. We are constantly asking ourselves: What's the point of all this? What does it matter? Really. It starts with the 7" lights and a winch and before you know it you will be saying that about boobs. Even big ones. What is the point?

Don't give up. Load that Jeep up with everything cool you can think to put on there and then get you a hot 25 year old gal for a seat cover and life will be good again.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #45
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Don: This is the problem with getting old. We are constantly asking ourselves: What's the point of all this?... before you know it you will be saying that about boobs. Even big ones. What is the point?
I'm far from that! It took me three years to notice she has green eyes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.