Why do people buy stuff?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Macho is not used anymore.
Thats like, so awesome, epic even!

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

JeeperDon, I'm smell what you're step'n in brother... I'm picking up what you're drop'n. Example: I work with a guy that drives a 4 banger Ford Ranger. He's got it jacked up on 33's and honestly it looks sharp, nice stance and all. BUT it's 2 wheel drive. Functional? Eh, prob'ly not so much. The dude digs it, it's his Ranger and his dime so he can jack it up or slam it or WTF ever, doesn't bother me.... er, Try not to let it bother anyway.

And to be complete hypocritical, I just put some new KC Daylighters on Jeep this weekend. Do I ever go "off roading" at night? Nah, not really. Do I really, really need extra lights? Well, no, not exactly. Functional? Yeah, kinda. I mean, they turn on and off. Were they on sale at a flea market a month ago? Yes, they were indeed. Do they look bas@ss? Yes, they do indeed. Was it fun hooking them up? Absolutely.

I guess I'll get some use out of 'em between on coming traffic at night. But mostly it's my Jeep and I wanted some big ol' friggin lights on the front and little light up flippy switch in the cab to flip about to turn them on and off just because I think it's cool. So, on behalf of everyone out there that's done mods we really don't need, put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!

Long Live 4 Low
-JDub
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I first bought mine I had these "dreams and visions" of a LA kit, lots of lift, 35's, etc, etc, etc.

After driving it for a while I figured out I don't really need most of that expensive stuff. What I have bought, I bought for function or a purpose. Only 2" lift cause I don't need 3' of ground clearance, hood louver cause I had heat soak, a winch cause I use it (sugar sand beach right up the road), etc.

Glad I waited and figured out what I need and what was "neat" are two different things.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
After too many years around here, I'm still puzzled by the mind set that makes people buy a light rack of a dozen 7" lights above the roof when they never go off-road at night, or a snorkel for a Jeep that only gets wet in the rain. There are sure enough do-dads to buy (remember getting your first Quadratec catalog), and I know 'to each his own', but daynm there are some poor decisions being made here.
I used to think the same thing about snorkels until I misjudged the location/depth/dropoff of a hole when I fell into it and the end result was an engine replacement. I still don't have a snorkel and am more careful with water holes when I can't avoid them entirely but I no longer question people that decide to get them.

That being said, I still agree with those who purchase parts primarily based on function.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Every Mod I have done on my last few Jeeps has been geared towards function over form. I liked the snorkle on my 95 YJ it saved my engine a few times at Pine Barrens but the 89 wont get one since I dont wheel around water anymore .
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Every Mod I have done on my last few Jeeps has been geared towards function over form. I liked the snorkle on my 95 YJ it saved my engine a few times at Pine Barrens but the 89 wont get one since I dont wheel around water anymore .
I wheeled the Pine Barrens once, a Jeep Jamboree back in '98 (when I first started this stuff). I'd definitely have a snorkel if I had a steady diet of that place.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Because it's MY Jeep and MY money.
Right on brother
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
baldfatdad

5/6 years ago I was at a Jeep swap meet. There was a guy next to me had a 4 door with everything you could bolt on it. But he had 20" wheels with band aide tires. I asked him how they worked off road. He looked at me like I said, I just shot your mother. Off road, I never go off road!. To each his own I figured, but didn't understand why he had a 12K winch. Wouldn't a 4 or 6 have done for the looks?
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Because it's MY Jeep and MY money.
That's the case with all of us, but that just means you can. It doesn't explain the why for which part, which is the focus of the thread.
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I basically celebrate anyone who is 'into' their car. Lift it, slam it, bling it, pimp it, restore it, concours, trailered, restomod, whatever! If you are into your car, you are okay by me. It may not be what I would do but what I do isn't what you might do. It's all good if you are into it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's the case with all of us, but that just means you can. It doesn't explain the why for which part, which is the focus of the thread.
It kinda does. I mean we are all part of the forum and we see tricked out rigs all the time. I don't live anywhere near Moab or the Rubicon, but I want my rigs to look just like the ones I see on YouTube running Hell's Gate. Easter Safari is on my bucket list so I always strive to build a rig to go to it.

Then, thanks to the InterWeb, you see tricked out rigs at the SEMA show and say, "That's looks really cool. I wonder if I could do that." And you end up with a $1500 light bar from Rigid, some mounts from Poison Spyder and an sPod just for good measure....wow, I need help....
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But the two examples that you used do have functions that are easily identifiable. It may be as simple as us not knowing what terrain that person frequently wheels at when we pass them on the street but they may still be able to justify that mod based on what they do. As for the 20s and band-aid tires, I just don't see what function those serve in any scenario but, then again, you wouldn't see those on my Jeep so no matter how horrible that I think they make a Jeep look, it's not my Jeep thus only my opinion which could very easily mean nothing to the owner.
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like my Jeep to look nice as much as any vehicle owner. I wash and occasionally wax it, spend time and thought (but minimal money) to keep it's purely subjective and cosmetic 'theme' of red/yellow (see my sig to see my Jeep).
I washed my Jeep once.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Indy

I can't figure out why people think they're the first to use either an old de-milled grenade or a pool ball on their shifter. That was old school shortly after Henry Ford made the assembly line. Do it if you want but don't start posting OMG what a great idea I just had! about it.

Other than that catalogs are the devil. All sorts of things you don't need and will never use all just a few clicks away

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I washed my Jeep once.
Take your uppity bull**** to the H2 forum

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.