Why do people buy stuff?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Why do people buy stuff??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why do people buy stuff??

After too many years around here, I'm still puzzled by the mind set that makes people buy a light rack of a dozen 7" lights above the roof when they never go off-road at night, or a snorkel for a Jeep that only gets wet in the rain. There are sure enough do-dads to buy (remember getting your first Quadratec catalog), and I know 'to each his own', but daymn there are some poor decisions being made here.

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Because we are making up for the time in our lives when we drove junk cars and didn't have a dime in our pockets
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think it is a nooby thing. They (we at some point) just wanted to start "modifying" our jeeps to make it feel like it fits in with the group. I hate stingers which is what a lot of people do first too.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
mrclean77
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like stingers and may get one, eventually. However, I'll be the first to admit should I ever find myself in a situation wherein I NEED it, I'd likely poop pants.

I play guitar, and have for over 25 yrs (makes me sound old....ugh). My wife has this funny notion that since I've only ever been able to play one at a time, it's silly to have a half dozen of 'em around.

Logic: screw that stuff

lol
mrclean77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A lot of it is for looks. A lot of it is for some dream about what some guy is going to do with his jeep, that never gets fulfilled. I bought my jeep half way through a serious off road conversion. The previous owner ran out of money and there it sat.
Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. The same thing goes for all the tards that buy 3/4 or one ton diesel trucks put lifts and never use them for any type of work, only a street cruiser, then sell the truck because they can not afford the gas bill, or realize that their truck is useless.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Stegs
2012 JK Wrangler 

maybe its b/c they like the looks of it and they can do it.

I know most never go off road, but its there choice

why do you buy and winch and never use it - b/c 1 time it will come in handy

why do rich people drive new corvettes or a new benz amg

they never go above 75-80 mph on the highway, when those cars can do 150+ easy

they buy them b/c they like it...

to each their own is 100% the answer....
Stegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

[These are only my light hearted opinions] I guess I don't see a Jeep as a fashion statement, or a 'macho statement' (can you still say macho?), at the expense of function. To me, a stinger on a Jeep that rarely goes off road and likely never to risk seeing other than wheels down is just a obstruction in the garage and parking, an attempt to impart a larger-dick image on passers by. The light bar mentioned in my OP only causes more drag and even poorer mileage. If I really wanted night time off-road lights on a Jeep that saw a lot of on-road time (a DD), I'd find a way to minimize the mileage impact, or at least consider that aspect, or make it removable. I don't even carry a spare tire around town (have tire plugs, OBA, and a cell phone).

I like my Jeep to look nice as much as any vehicle owner. I wash and occasionally wax it, spend time and thought (but minimal money) to keep it's purely subjective and cosmetic 'theme' of red/yellow (see my sig to see my Jeep). I just don't like to spend money to carry around extra weight and obstruction that is providing minimal or no value.

I'm not going to get started on all the motor performance things that cost a fortune and do pretty much nothing for performance, but the buyer swears "it's goes twice as fast as before!".

Oh, I forgot, my favorite! Guards for the headlights that never need guarding (ever hear of anyone breaking a headlight off-road?). And $50 guards for tail lights that cost $25.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Macho is not used anymore.

And you lost me at the not carrying a spare. I carry my spare and have never used it in almost 3 years of owning this jeep but I still do carry it. I think this applies to the additional light as much as a winch or anything else. I have a 10 or 12" light bar on the front of my jeep. I don't crawl or wheel at night but may need it to set up a tent or help someone with the use of the light bar. And the same could be said - I don't plan on busting a bead, blowing a tire or anything like that but I do carry a spare.

And someone could make the argument about oba. (I am not downing this mod at all). How often do you really use it? How often in your regualr travels are you that far away from a gas station that has an air supply? I have a co2 bottle that I carry when trail riding and such but I don't have an engine mounted compressor because I think it is unnecessary. People I wheel with carry regular compressors in their tow rigs and mobile homes, they think my tank is unnecessary. I carry it on the trail and all the tools I bring including air tools, which they all leave at the camping site, but mine get used out of convenience. To me, I would rather carry a spare (tire on wheel) and a jack than tire plugs, oba and a cell phone and a jack. But to each their own.

I also typically carry all my recovery gear along too including a high jack since my local friends usually call me when they get into a bad situation. And usually a large tool bag with all the typically stuff one many need on a daily basis.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with you. I used to think my Smitty bumper, KC's and random stickers were the ****. Now I only have a conservative Metalcloak Stubby, my stock headlights (which will get upgraded), and Jeepforum and NC4x4 decals and Warn windshield banner (which probably won't be ther long either). I think it looks way better now than it did with that other junk. All my money is directed towards suspension and axle building (and replacing these damn transmissions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Generally I go for function. I used my winch just a couple of months ago (recover someone else). Some may wonder if I need both a CO2 tank and an air compressor. I got a great deal on the Tank and had room for it so why not.
I carry more spare parts than most anyone I know but I don't want to get stuck on the trail. Aluminum rims were not the best choice but I like the lower weight and carry a spare. I haven't taken one out yet.

I do wonder about the big light bars and the snorkels. I think some folks just like the looks and that's okay. The light bars sure could come in handy. I would probably go LED but if I was on a budget and wanted a light bar I bet a used 'regular' light bar can be had pretty cheap these days.

The snorkel would actually be helpful here in AZ. Help reduce the dust intake as well as provide a cooler air source. I don't ford many rivers, and certainly not super deep ones, if I am in the water enough to need a snorkel I am in trouble.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
[These are only my light hearted opinions] I guess I don't see a Jeep as a fashion statement, or a 'macho statement' (can you still say macho?), at the expense of function. To me, a stinger on a Jeep that rarely goes off road and likely never to risk seeing other than wheels down is just a obstruction in the garage and parking, an attempt to impart a larger-dick image on passers by. The light bar mentioned in my OP only causes more drag and even poorer mileage. If I really wanted night time off-road lights on a Jeep that saw a lot of on-road time (a DD), I'd find a way to minimize the mileage impact, or at least consider that aspect, or make it removable. I don't even carry a spare tire around town (have tire plugs, OBA, and a cell phone).

I like my Jeep to look nice as much as any vehicle owner. I wash and occasionally wax it, spend time and thought (but minimal money) to keep it's purely subjective and cosmetic 'theme' of red/yellow (see my sig to see my Jeep). I just don't like to spend money to carry around extra weight and obstruction that is providing minimal or no value.

I'm not going to get started on all the motor performance things that cost a fortune and do pretty much nothing for performance, but the buyer swears "it's goes twice as fast as before!".

Oh, I forgot, my favorite! Guards for the headlights that never need guarding (ever hear of anyone breaking a headlight off-road?). And $50 guards for tail lights that cost $25.
You wax it?

I wheel mine and displace lots of skid paint, cont arm paint, wheel paint and the occasional roll cage scuff.
I wheeled at night for the first time a few weeks ago and noticed headlights are useless but the OEM fogs turned all the way down work well.
I run trails where the use of a winch is a high probability so it must be operational & at the ready.
I don't run a spare just because of the weight.
I have them cheap insulated cup holders strapped to my A pillars, they are great cup holders.
Spider shade is a great sun shade.
I use my OBA every time I go wheelin for one reason or another.

If something is not useful or have a foreseeable purpose then I don't buy it or take it with me.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think adding all the extras to a jeep has something to do with the "go anywhere" attitude for a lot of owners.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Because it's MY Jeep and MY money.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you get the snorkel you can get more air in so you need a K&N so you need a chip or programmer to deal with it all so you need an high end stainless steel exhaust. When you have a vehicle that goes that fast you need better light so you can see where you are going. And with all that don’t forget to use premium gas and an octane booster. Don’t you guys know anything? All this and better gas mileage too.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.