Who has the Smittybilt SRC Stinger?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Who has the Smittybilt SRC Stinger??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Who has the Smittybilt SRC Stinger??

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_2010_07.htm

I think I want to get one of these and wanted to get some opinions. The review section wasn't too helpful. I don't wheel it too often, but I love the look of a small-ish stinger and this is in the right price range.

I plan on putting this on my 01 TJ. I don't plan on putting a winch on.
How do you like it? pros/cons?

Are there places to install fog lights? From pictures it is tough to tell.

This isn't one of those stingers that you put over the stock bumper right?

And how far does the stinger stick up and how far out? From pictures it is tough to tell.

Thanks

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
TexanTJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

I should be getting mine this weekend. If I remember I'll post up a pic. otherwise if i forget, shoot me a pm.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been contemplating this too. But for the money, you might as well buy one from Poison Spyder Customs. A few bucks cheaper ($195.00) and much better quality (from what I've been told, at least).
Photo Details
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Dirt_runner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Smittybilt stinger while a friend of mine has the PSC. I enjoy mine because it looks great IMO and doesn't stick out as far as the PSC. Both are great bumpers and you are able to mount foglights on it in the center... There are some pictures about half way through this thread and here is my Jeep. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/s...ybuilt-866093/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dirt_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Dr1zzyJake
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's nearly impossible to mount a winch and fogs. So if you plan on never running a winch, I'd say go for it.
Dr1zzyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
nuthead
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have it on my Jeep.I have a winch & just drilled holes on outer corners of bumper & mounted my lights.I like it cause it doesnt stick out crazy far like some Ive seen.
nuthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Mark5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heres mine with a warn 9.5 winch i relocated the fatory fog lights. i wasnt going to go with smittybilt originally but there is a guy 10 minutes away from me who sells smittybilt parts. after looking them over and getting a pretty good price i went ahead and bought bumpers and rocker guards. i hammer on them pretty good and they have held up so far.
075.jpg   dscf0194.jpg  
Mark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1zzyJake View Post
It's nearly impossible to mount a winch and fogs. So if you plan on never running a winch, I'd say go for it.
Not sure where you're getting that from. The bumper itself is not winch compatible but that's where the winch plate comes in. Here's before/after pics of mine. I got sick of the gigantic stinger and hacked it off in favor of something a little more low profile. More info in my build thread if anyone is interested.
clayton04-2010_060.jpg   1123001651.jpg   1124001536.jpg   1124001543d.jpg   1124001544.jpg  

Unread 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
HiKnee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is a nice little bumper and have pulled several trees using the shackle mounts (As I am without winch). As far as view from the seat you see about the top 3", but does not obstruct view.
HiKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone actually used the stinger as intended? I'm curious if it will truly prevent an end over, or if it is just "tacticool" to steal another forums coined term.

The reason I ask is that I do have one myself, but am considering replacing it because my jeep is now coming together for me to be back to over driving my ability & I want to make sure the stinger does it's job, if needed.
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Mark5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

N757QQ- the stinger seems pretty short compared to others. i have not been in a situation yet to test out whether or not it will prevent a roll over i hope when it comes down to it that it will. on a side note i saw in your profile government/aviation interest, any chance your an air traffic controller? ZOA ARTCC here.
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mark5,

nah, I am a lowly trainer for Nashville 911 center. Teach new hires the process of taking PD/FD/EMS calls, and dispatcher to dispatch them.

The aviation interest comes from a long time in the private aviation world. I am up to MEL but not driving the big buses yet. My job, now gone due to my own lack of time to do so, was flying organs around as a part of the donor program.

ZOA, wow. That very cool. I hope to get out your way eventually, but that's way, way down the road, with my own aircraft I don't have yet.

I wish I had known at 16 when I was starting to build hours for my PPL that I had to be started by (I think) 31 to get moving on your end of the scope. Now that I am older, I find that side as appealing as flying.
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Mark5
1998 TJ Wrangler 

N757QQ- and people think ATC is stressfull? ive gotta say taking and dispatching 911 calls
has gotta take the prize welp if you ever make it out to northern CA in either your jeep
or fixed wing let me know and we'll run the rubicon. lots of aviation in my family my pops flew
BE99's for ameriflight and my brother flys hueys for cal fire here is pic from his base at big hill
about 25 minutes away from the trail head for rubicon loon lake side.
to keep it topic related there are two smittybilt stingers in the pic
006.jpg  
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now there is a picture. Real nice looking Jeeps. I wanna take a guess that your brothers is the red one?

Tags
bumper , fog , light , smittybuilt , stinger

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.