where are some good trails in michigan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > where are some good trails in michigan?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-31-2001, 05:30 PM   #1
jerrys yj

where are some good trails in michigan?

i need to find some good trails in michigan. please help me if you know of any up to 1.5 hours out of detroit. i live in birmingham and need to get offroad. please help

-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2001, 08:51 AM   #2
90YJ

Well, I wish I could help ya out... there are endless trails in Michigan, but I doubt that you will find anything anywhere near Detroit. I know of many places to wheel, but they are all in the U.P. or on the West side of lower Michigan.
- Steelhorse buckets
- 31" BFG AT's
- Lockrite rear locker
- Hi-Lift Jack
- Nerf bars
90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2001, 05:03 PM   #3
Darko

I havent yet finished my jeep to go out venturing for trails yet. I do know of silver lake about 2 or 3 hours west (i think) they have 800 acres of sand dunes and so forth, but will not be open until the spring
Unread 11-20-2001, 07:35 PM   #4
jpwranglr9

there is the mounds in flint. thats about an hour away from you. it is a pay yo play and you need an ORV. other than that i dont know of any. there are quite a bit in canada though. havent been there but heard good things.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
CHVYPWR

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrys yj:
i need to find some good trails in michigan. please help me if you know of any up to 1.5 hours out of detroit. i live in birmingham and need to get offroad. please help
www.michiganjeepers.com , Lots of people on this site know where to wheel, a few of them are from the Detroit area too.

-'04 GMC Canyon SL 4x4
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:18 PM   #6
ChrisB

The Mounds near Flint, Camp Grayling, Silver Lake Sand Dunes, parts of Drummond Island to name a few. Lot's of trails in the NW and UP, but nothing too challenging. Check out the Michigan Jeepers website. We usually head out at least once a month somewhere...

There's also the 2Track Club..
http://www.2trackmindoffroadclub.rockcrawler.com/
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Darko

I was just about to post that link. I was talking to somebody about Mt. Morris, I never heard of it though. the 2trackmind club is building a rock crawling course this spring, its gonna be great!
Unread 01-16-2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Big Dumb White Guy

Silver Lake is fun. you don't need a rip-roarin' rig to have fun there. stock works just fine.
1 word of advice - stay out of the water holes. just trust me on this one. they are like sink holes in Florida.... nasty!!!

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:45 AM   #9
jerrys yj

thanks. is there a website on where and how to get to silver lake? id like to go there.
-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Big Dumb White Guy

take i-96 east to Muskegon. hang a right (north). you can't go any further west. about 1/2 hour from there, there will be a sign for Shelby and then 1 for Hart.

if you look at Michigan DNR's website about campgrounds and stuff, there is info there too.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Unread 02-02-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Some pictures from Silver Lake a couple of years ago!

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0LwAIyHsP3mFhz*KPLItH8sm!BN5AM!j*uUceSA6bxdxfLubR6 JWVND83RXGc*k95G250QXQmKmg/Jeep-View1.jpg[/img]
YJ Windshield View

Lined up along a ridge with Lake Michigan view

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0LgAp*E8PCFh91d2vLl4lciOvnkYEPK!Y7!tFUNkzpeymyStHq svPYiSfHy3Z9cz0vuTMv*6*tmU/Hill-View.jpg[/img]
View from the bottom

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0KAAslJINrgtHx119AxxpswBRx4sLwbmRWxJpSYUcmNg8QA1Pr TUtrTMZIOckm*bI*****6ByzQ4/Bikes.jpg[/img]
Bikes

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0LgC7yQUPWE8!bgZudB4ZkUq2OMzpJKJzIuzJUuqXd8S8L*FDb Wrvh6P!YN4s8KayP6bYp4X8gR8/Water-GMC.jpg[/img]
Water Crossing GMC

Water Crossing GMC2

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0MAAPfisQJ3*jri!CChzflYAvTHL0!clYJK5TPFy5XQ3moBU0O ASJF3*rKt2b8OB6JOzgUqbIueHetvx3GAdjAQ/White-Chevy.jpg[/img]
Opps! That one took a couple of days to get off the dunes.

As you can see, about anything can used for fun on the dunes. Just air down to about 5 psi, get a whip flag for the front bumper, a ORV sticker, and go out and play. It's a lot of fun if you have a buddy or two with their rides. There are a lot of areas to play hide and seek in. In my YJ I spent most of the time in 4 high/1st and 2nd gears, sometimes 3rd. The bikes, 4 wheelers, and sand rails usually fly right past you. It's located on the shores of Lake Michigan, so even on the hottest summer day, breezes from the lake keep you cool. If you go, you want to be on the dunes early. It can get quite crowded,especially on holidays, and there is a limit to the number of vehicles allowed in the park at any one time.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:34 AM   #12
Big Dumb White Guy

by the way. i know first hand what happens when you go thru the water. water + compression engine = bent piston rods. unless you know how deep it is - STAY OUT!

Unread 02-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
jeepinkeif

Excellent Pics of the Dunes.Ihave some from my trip last summer and I'd like to put them up, how do I do it? Forget staying within 1.5 hours of Detroit, drive up to Mears and get on those dunes. It's like a right of passage. All lil Jeeps grow up to big Jeeps there. [img]null[/img]
jeepinkeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 07:49 PM   #14
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

You have to upload the pictures to some web site and then use that web address for your images to post. I use msn and you can set up a community that will be the storage place for pictures. There are a lot of picture posting web sites available.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2002, 10:25 PM   #15
jeepinkeif

OK, after way too much trial and error, here are some pics of the dunes the weekend before labor day weekend last year. I went labor day weekend too, and my lil baby jeep took a long time to get up the rutted dunes. Anyways, enjoy.

Dune View

Dirt Bikes

Lake Michigan (My Jeep is on the far left)

Puddles

Me in the YJ

One of my favorite things; the quad races by the beach
jeepinkeif is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.