where do you buy your tools from - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > where do you buy your tools from

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

where do you buy your tools from

been doing more and more work on my 04TJ and my sons 00XJ.... picked up a medium sized craftsman mechanics tool set recently... but need more, torque wrench, good jack and stands.... etc. Is craftsman still a good name, or is there better? just curious

jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used to purchase Craftsman tools almost exclusively, but I have been very disappointed by Craftsman tools lately. Many of my power tools had needed repair or replacement. (Some recent failures included a trouble light, shop vac, and numerous issues with my tractor.) My hand tools have been fine, but were purchased over 10 years ago. I'm not sure all of the hand tools are even made in the US anymore. The lifetime warranty used to be the selling point, but you can get lifetime warranty on almost anything, even Harbor Freight. When I did return a broken ratchet to Sears, they tried to give me a reman ratchet. I insisted on new and got it eventually. I have a few sets of bargain wrenches that I usually use. They were cheap and I beat the hell out of them. If they break, I don't care and buy a new one eventually. I will say the Craftsman tools fit better on fasteners, so I use them when a better fit or higher torque is required.

HTH.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've got tools from everywhere and at all prices. My primary socket set is SK that I bought with hi school graduation money 42 years ago. And all the pieces are still there and still work great. I also have a mix of some Craftsman, Kobalt (Lowes), Harbor Freight, etc.

I snapped a "name brand, made in USA" T-40 Torx bit last Saturday, bought a new NAPA one that twisted, bought a cheap $4 one from Pep Boys and finished the job.

So its hard to say. But I have a Lowes very close and their Kobalt seems to be good and lifetime warranty. A set of wrenches and a set of channel locks have worked great.
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I buy most of my stuff from Sears...

Hand tools:
Craftsman's lifetime warranty is hard to argue with. As long as you buy their "standard" line of tools they will have the lifetime no questions asked warranty. I also buy Channel Lock hand tools which are very nice.

Air tools:
I have Husky air tools which work... but aren't up to par with quality air tools. There's been times that my husky torque wrench couldn't turn a bolt that a quality wrench could with ease. That said... if you want top of the line air tools Snap-On and Matco are the way to go.

Power tools:
My power tools are mostly Ryobi which haven't let me down except the batteries stop holding a charge after a few years. I know that Dewalt also makes quality tools.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Usmcmach1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to buy Craftsman, but now that they are MADE IN CHINA, I have been looking thru the Snap On catalog. When I was a aircraft mech in the USMC we used Snap On and they held up great. Pricey, but I guess buying a tool once makes life easier.
Usmcmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'll say it - most of my tools are from Harbor Freight. I'm not a mechanic by trade, so these tools work well for me. I buy the better quality Harbor Freight tools if that makes any sense. A hundred dollars will buy you a lot more tools from Harbor Freight than from Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Hereisandy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if i'm only going to use it a couple times, harbor freight is the way to go. otherwise i use craftsman. just look at what you tool you need and decide if quality will even make a difference. for example: i would get a quality brand name torque wrench but a jack stand would not make a difference if it was brand name or from Walmart.
Hereisandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereisandy View Post
if i'm only going to use it a couple times, harbor freight is the way to go. otherwise i use craftsman. just look at what you tool you need and decide if quality will even make a difference. for example: i would get a quality brand name torque wrench but a jack stand would not make a difference if it was brand name or from Walmart.
I think I might go the opposite way. I read (I think it was a thread on here) that a HF torque wrench stayed accurate after many years and uses. I'll spend the extra money on a jackstand that's keeping a car I'm working on from crushing me.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
angrybear
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For hand tools, an even split between Craftsman, Mac and Snap-On. I've by far had the best luck with my Snap-On's, but most new tools i pickup, i go Craftsman, due to the better price. Also all 3 of these have lifetime warranty on most all products they sell, with Craftsman I can easily swap the tool out if need be at the local sears. It's much harder to hunt down a Mac/Snap-On truck for me, being i don't work at a shop where a driver does routes...
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
angrybear
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most tools I use I've seemed to always have need for again (but i also have much more than just my jeep that i mechanic on), but i'm very leery of Harbor Freight/Northern Hydraulic. It would really have to be a limited/low use tool for me to go that way personally due to past experiences.
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Snap on, Craftsman, Harbor Freight and Mac. (in order of most quantity to least). I love my snap on ratchets but have had a few of 1/4 drive break. I also really like craftsman sockets, I've tested them side by side to snap on and they have the same tolerances, no need to buy snap on sockets. Snap on are stronger but they arent worth the cost. I have snap on torx because every other brand I tried would break. I would have bought a craftsman torque wrench but there has been a lot of complaints on the sears site so I bought snap on. Most hand tools are snap on but im a huge fan of knipex.
I try to buy as many Ridgid brand powertools as I can but unfortunately I had bought a lot of dewalt stuff before I had discovered Ridgid. Ridget covers their powertools AND BATTERYS for life!.

All of my boxes are harbor freight. They are much better quality then craftsman (sad) and you would have to be bonkers to buy snap on boxes of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcmach1
I used to buy Craftsman, but now that they are MADE IN CHINA, I have been looking thru the Snap On catalog. When I was a aircraft mech in the USMC we used Snap On and they held up great. Pricey, but I guess buying a tool once makes life easier.
Depends on the "line" of tools you're buying from. Recently Craftsman has released 'budget's lines of tools that have a limited warranty and are made overseas but the set I recently bought has a full lifetime warranty and is made in the USA.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well since I do wrench for a living most of my tools are Snapon,Cornwell,Matco,or Mac with some Craftsman thrown in.

Ratchets--Snapon(80 tooth) or Matco(88 tooth),very pricey but once you use them you'll never use any other again.

Wrenches--Snapon Flank Drive only,again once you use them all others are junk if you must use the open end of any wrench in a high torque application(like jam nuts).I also recommend any Gearwrenchs,more so in the specialty selection.

Sockets--Standard chrome Craftsman are good,impact go with Pittsburg impact sockets from HF as they are the strongest on the market.

Cordless tools--a toss up but Makita's brushless impact drivers are so nice,Snapon 1/2" impact is about the best out there and works better then Lithium-Ion battery ones from others in cold weather.

Air tools--Impacts is IR all the way,air ratchets I like the Mac 1/4" drive one since it does not have the reverse knob right above the 1/4" shank.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
you would have to be bonkers to buy snap on boxes of course.
Why is that?

For personal use I can see but I have a $12,000 67" Cornwell box(hutch and side box added on) that is almost to small for all my tools.When I trade up to a bigger box I'm guaranteed to get 80% of purchase price on trade in even if 10 years from now with the Cornwell truck.
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
kb3mtv
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use craftsman hand tools for the price, but I have never had a gripe over any craftsman socket. The wrenches on the other hand, not so much luck. They tend to break on me constantly lol. Unless your a mechanic by trade though, I think craftsman will do you fine for general hand tools. But, depending on the kind of work your going to be doing and the more precision you need from the tool, such as torque wrenches, dial indicators, calipers, scan tools, meters etc., I would consider investing some money into higher end tools when the time comes for the job. But this is all just my opinion.
1982 Honda CB450SC

73's
DE KB3MTV
kb3mtv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.