Where can you buy blemished batteries? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Where can you buy blemished batteries?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where can you buy blemished batteries?

It's that time when I need to replace my battery. Where can you buy blemished batteries? I already have an Optima Red Top in my Jeep and want to go on ahead and get the same battery. Do most auto parts stores sell blemished batteries?

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't the Optima Red have a ten year full, plus ten year prorated warranty? You should be able to get it replaced free or cheap.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
yjjeepster
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Never heard of a blemished battery. Sorry but I dont think you will find one
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yea never heard of one. do you mean one that was dented during shipping? For things like batteries they probably send them right back to the manufacturer.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the other question you have to ask is do you really want a blemished battery? whats a blemished battery going to look like? busted posts? leaking acid? incorrect plate thickness? incorrectly installed/manufactured terminals?

Considering batteries are fairly dangerous, with 25-40lbs of lead surrounded by extremely caustic acid giving off nasty gasses, I'd stick with the stuff that actually meets spec.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post
Doesn't the Optima Red have a ten year full, plus ten year prorated warranty?
Not even close. The Red Top has a 36 month non-prorated warranty and no pro-rated warranty time beyond 36 months at all. If it's in commercial service, only 12 months. If you connect deep cycle equipment like a winch or car audio to a Red Top, it's not covered at all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Optima Product Support: Warranty Info
36 months free replacement, plus 36 months prorated for personal use red tops. They do have a 'deep cycle applications' clause, but if you show up holding a battery how is anyone going to prove how it was used?
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can't believe you guys have never heard of BLEM Batteries. I'll explain, all they are are batteries that have been scuffed or scratched during manufacturing. They are perfectly safe and good batteries but don't pass inspection so they are usually given away cheap. The Optima battery I have in my Jeep right know is a BLEM Battery, only problem is a friend of my dad new a secret place to get, even more unfortunate is this friend died of cancer over 5 years ago. So obviously I won't be getting any info from him.

Just to clear some things up, Optima batteries uses gel and not acid and are completely sealed and do not leak.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post

Optima Product Support: Warranty Info
36 months free replacement, plus 36 months prorated for personal use red tops. They do have a 'deep cycle applications' clause, but if you show up holding a battery how is anyone going to prove how it was used?
That is only true for Optima's older batteries. New Red Tops sold since February of this year come ONLY with a 36 month warranty, they dropped the second 36 month prorated coverage for all batteries sold after February 2009. They only come with a flat 36 month warranty now, no pro-rated at all. His old Red Top may be covered but after his initial 36 month warranty, the pro-rated portion doesn't really help all that much.

Unread 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Let me google that for you
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How'd you do that?

Unread 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

let me pop in here for a minute, are optima batteries better than a normal battery? i've heard mixed things about it, but it sounds like it would be better. i'm asking because i need a new one, and wanted to find out from people who have used one before

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Optima batteries use a more rugged technology called AGM (absorbed glass matting) that is highly resistant to shock & vibration, they have "solid" battery cells filled with a non-liquid acid so they are also spill proof. That said, after three prematurely failed Optima batteries, I gave up and replaced my latest prematurely failed Optima Blue Top with a Sears Diehard Platinum 3478DT battery several months ago. The Diehard Platinum is also an AGM technology battery that is made for them by Odyssey who makes mil-spec batteries for the military. Both the Odyssey and Diehard Platinum make the Optima look like a low-life battery for about the same cost.

If someone asked me for a battery recommendation until the last year or two, I'd say Optima. No more, I've given up on them. It'd be REAL hard to beat an Odyssey or Diehard Platinum 3478-DT. I went with the Diehard over just buying an Odyssey because there are Sears stores everywhere that makes support of it easy. Even when my Optima batteries were new, they never spun my TJ's starter motor nearly as fast/solidly as the new Diehard Platinum battery does. There was a dramatic improvement once I got the Diehard installed.

Unread 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, thanks. I'll take a look into the Diehard batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Look in the phone book for batteries, call around to your local dealers and ask if they sell blems. I had a coworker who previously worked in a battery factory and he told me that a blemished battery is a battery that did not pass all of the tests on its first time through production. It is then fixed and if it passes all of the tests it is sold as a blem without the name brand label on it. There is nothing wrong with a blemished battery and they can be had at a fraction of the price of a new name brand battery. I bought a blem last year for $30 and it works fine.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.