Wheeling with your dog?, Harness or crate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Wheeling with your dog?, Harness or crate?

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 02-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheeling with your dog?, Harness or crate?

Got a yellow lab puppy last month and want to take him wheeling with me. Me and GF are arguing over what is best way to safely secure him in back of jeep when off road. I am thinking it is best to have him in larger dog crate that is ratchet strapped in back of my jeep. She thinks a dog seat belt would be better and let him sit in rear seat.

I am worried about him getting hurt if he sticks his head out side of jeep, also worried about getting off camber or god forbid rolling the jeep. Thats why I think strudy wire metal crate would be safest. She thinks he will get thrown around and hit side of cage too much. Im not sure what to do. Im also worrined about stuff moving around in the back, (spare axle shafts, tools etc...) plan on securing everything like always but crap happens.

I do some very serious wheeling but I am not a skinny pedal guy and take it easy and pick my line however, even this approach can make for some jarring moments especially in the rocks. whats everyones experiences with wheeling with dogs? I am not refferring to leisurely drives on paved roads or even forest roads, I am talking about off road park black trails.

Unread 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, our dog is much smaller than yours, but, in our expereinces off-roading, it depends on the situation.
For most of the ride, we have her harnessed, on a cargo rack (so she can see out), on a bed, and with cargo nets. Additionally, we added a small 12v fan for the warmer days. For the more technical stuff, she'll sit in my wife's lap, still harnessed in.

We found she does much better if she can see out. We first tried it with her harnessed in the rear seat, but being so small, she couldn't see out and didn't enjoy it too much.

Get your puppy used to being in the Jeep as soon as you can. Helps out later in life.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/

Last edited by Zakman; 02-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: pic added
Zakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just purchased the Raingler setup for my dog as well. The smittybilt CRES wasn't cutting it anymore so I had to upgrade to a real restraint system. I leave the window nets in all the time because the dog scratches the tint otherwise.
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
BHZDMZ
2014 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at Safari Straps. My boxers do great in the back with them. The buckles are coated so you don't have the bare stainless cooking in the sun for you to wrap your hands around.

http://www.safaristraps.com/
USN Jeep Hull #143
Eagle Scout Jeepers

Present:
09' JK (mine)
10' KK (wife)
00' XJ (son)

Past:
06' LJ, 03'TJ, 95' YJ
07' KJ
97', 95', 90', 87' & 85' XJs
98' ZJ
BHZDMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 110lb lab. I don't wheel with him but when we take him I use a harness and run the leash out of the back and hook it to the hitch receiver. This keeps him from squashing the kids.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to post an update to this thread. I have wheeled with my dog at Rausch creek and Penns Woods Jeep jambroee this year as well as some local wheeling. He has done very good. I have a harness for him that and I attach a leash to it underneath him by his belly, I just purchased a small ring and attached to harness on botton. I then took lease and tied it somewhat short to seat anchor with rear seat removed. He can move about entire back area but cannot jump in front. He can lean his head over but he doesnt when jeep is in motion. It has worked really good and he enjoys spending the day with me instead of at home bored. He gets bouced around a little but I tend to crawl stuff slowly and dont ever hammer it since I am locked in the rear and have a very flexible 4 inch clayton suspension. My lab likes wheeling. just though people may be interested in hearing update.
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Updates are always welcome no matter how late the response may be. Everyone likes closure!!
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
My lab likes wheeling.
Labs like anything
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.