Wheeling in the South - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Wheeling in the South

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wheeling in the South

Hey random question for everyone. Hows the wheeling in the South East? I am debating on moving in a year or two. I've always wanted to live in the backwoods down south but am a little worried that if I move there I won't have the trail selection I would have if I move to say Colorado. I know that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. But are there places to wheel down there? To me it doesn't look like there's much besides mud holes.

I would like somewhere near the Appalachians because I like the mountains. I'd like the south because the people seem friendly, honest, true to their word, and hard working. Unlike the people I currently meet here in Albuquerque.

Anyways I am thinking somewhere near the Appalachians, Colorado, or Pacific North West. I realize nothing beats Colorado and Moab. But wanted to see what else is out there too.

Thanks

Tyler

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm near Atlanta, there are 3 pay to play parks within 2 hours and a handful of fire service roads in the North Ga mountains that are free. I'm sure there is more that I don't know of.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I live in the Appalachians in Boone, NC. There is a place about 20 minutes from me called Richland road. Not very challenging, but extremely fun. There's also Uwharrie. Hopefully Tellico eventually reopens. Gulches in SC. And I believe there's some spots on the coast.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in Augusta, and all the big places to ride are 5-6hrs away. Morris Mt., Harlan, Windrock, Golden Mt., Grayrock, etc. to name a few. Gulches is a good local-ish park for a day trip. Durhamtown is ok for a little fun as well but more mud than I like.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

dude, i am sure you have seen all the "rock bouncers" and those guys are from TN.

Unlike places out west where you wheel on public land like in colorado and Moab, Most places here in the south are all private land parks.

Just basing off what i know local, there are great places to wheel that are much more than mud holes. Wind rock in TN, Harlan here in KY, DIrty turtle, Big rock, bills 491, haspin acres, the bad lands in IN, Rush off road, Blue Ridge among others. Most are private land parks, a few of those are public parks, but still pay to play type places.

i have never wheeled out in Colorado, but around here there are trails from mild to wild and is a completely different type of wheeling. much more Throttle induced stuff out here than Crawling.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.