Wheel Spacers??? How do you guys feel about them? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
JCMathis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel Spacers??? How do you guys feel about them?

Myself and a few of my friends have a interest in Wheel Spacers. However each of us disagree's as to their worth. I personally believe that although they can help to fill out those wide flares, they can also be potentially more deadly to your wheel bearings.

How do you guys feel? Have you had good experiences, or bad? What brands do you feel are quality?

Alright...play nicely....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well heres my opinion on them. Wheel spacers are more dangerous simply because you now have twice as many lug nuts you need to tighten down. If you dont meticulously tighten each one it could loosen up without you noticing. As far as the damage caused to the hubs go, it is just the same as using a rim with less back spacing. Either way the hub is going to be put under more strain. If you are trying to accommodate wider tires then I say its a necessary evil, but if you just want to push your stock tires out farther I say it probably isnt the best of ideas.

2000 4.0 wrangler 2.5" lift
5 speed JCR Off Road prerunner bumper
post #3 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman12
Well heres my opinion on them. Wheel spacers are more dangerous simply because you now have twice as many lug nuts you need to tighten down. If you dont meticulously tighten each one it could loosen up without you noticing. As far as the damage caused to the hubs go, it is just the same as using a rim with less back spacing. Either way the hub is going to be put under more strain. If you are trying to accommodate wider tires then I say its a necessary evil, but if you just want to push your stock tires out farther I say it probably isnt the best of ideas.

That's what lock tight is for

Patriot Blue XJ 4x4
RE 4.5" | 305/70/16 MTR K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've never run them or run with anyone who has, but personally I wouldn't use them. I just don't feel they are all that safe in the long run. it puts more force on the bearings and studs, potentially more force on the suspension as well (though on that i guess full widths would too so thats probably a moot point). Also as stated its that much extra maintenance to remember to do. I just don't think i could ever bring myself to trust them. and definitely not on a front application. I could see all sorts of issues with the steering, stock unit bearings, tire wear, etc

92 YJ. High Output 4.0L
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
post #5 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Using good wheel spacers (Spidertrax) is no different than using differently backspaced wheels. The spacers get bolted to the stock lugs, red locktite and then torqued to spec. The wheel is attached to the lugs on the spacer. The same force is applied to bearings and components as would be applied with a differently backspaced wheel. There is zero extra maintenance to do since checking torque will break the locktite and you have to start over again.

I have had zero issues with mine, never checked the torque after the initial install, no issues with loosening or having alignments or anything else done.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

It seems the consensus is only buy them if you NEED them. Having them on for show does no good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
I've never run them or run with anyone who has, but personally I wouldn't use them. I just don't feel they are all that safe in the long run. it puts more force on the bearings and studs, potentially more force on the suspension as well (though on that i guess full widths would too so thats probably a moot point). Also as stated its that much extra maintenance to remember to do. I just don't think i could ever bring myself to trust them. and definitely not on a front application. I could see all sorts of issues with the steering, stock unit bearings, tire wear, etc
How do you feel about running wheels with less than stock back spacing?

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
mrfast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Using good wheel spacers (Spidertrax) is no different than using differently backspaced wheels. The spacers get bolted to the stock lugs, red locktite and then torqued to spec. The wheel is attached to the lugs on the spacer. The same force is applied to bearings and components as would be applied with a differently backspaced wheel. There is zero extra maintenance to do since checking torque will break the locktite and you have to start over again.

I have had zero issues with mine, never checked the torque after the initial install, no issues with loosening or having alignments or anything else done.
Same here, and I use spacers from Rough Country! Going on 2 years now.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There really a non issue if installed properly, some shops won't install wheels if you have spacers. IMO spacers are fine on a jeep, but I would not use them on a heavy duty truck that routinely carries heavy loads, I know when I owned a super duty it was a big issue to not use them, but on most vehicles it's a non-issue.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #10 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Nasmith1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where I live the big tire shop will not touch a vehicle with spacers, but I know them so they marked off-road use only in the computer

I bought my jeep with wheel spacers and wider flares... didnt even notice until I got home. I knew that jeep looked good though. I want to take them off because the extra width ruins my fitting on four wheeler trails and I have had to replace so many things to make it not have death wobble after I lifted it. I believe these parts wore prematurely due to the spacers, but im still running them because It dont have the money for tube fenders and It looks really funny with them off.

I would never buy them, but im running them. Locktite has not let me down yet.

3 xj's - 1992 k2500 diesel - 1992 corolla (doubled my money..... after I blew it up) - 1995 yj - ***1997 Jeep TJ***
post #11 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 AM
98zjkidd
1998 ZJ 

I wasn't sure about spacers either but I have a buddy that has an 05 duramax 2500 with 41 irocks 12" lift and everything banks pushing about 600hp and 1100lb and he has ran spacers for over 4 years now no prob this is also his work truck that he hauls his landscaping equipment with
post #12 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
03WJDave
2003 WJ 

I ran 2" wheel spacers on My Super Duty with 41" IROKs and air lockers front and rear with no issues. Ran them for 6 years. If installed properly and checked from time to time they are not a problem. One thing they will do is put more stress on front wheel bearings on a big heavy truck like I had and can shorten the life of bearings. Put them on properly with loc-tite and torque per specs.

Member NCBBA, OBPA Join Jeepfishing surf group

Mayhem lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
post #13 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
mrfast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just kinda thinking out loud, but I wonder with spacers and stock wheels, versus aftermarket wheels with a lot of offset, makes any difference on wear and tear of suspension components?

Like I posted earlier I'M running the spacers with stock Rubicon wheels with 35's for almost 2 years now and aprox 15,000 miles with no ill effect so far, and yes I do go off road about once a month.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The suspension issue is non existent, unless you stuck 6" spacers on each side. There is no way a 1.5" spacer/adapter could make that much of a difference to the suspension via its marginal extra leverage.
I run them on my JK Rubi axles, to allow me to run 5 on 4.5 wheels, which are everywhere and cheap. Never had a single issue.

Martin

1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover with a 6.0 LSx
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....

post #15 of 17 Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM
heisman01
2015 JK Wrangler 

Ide only recommend them if your trying to run 14"+ wide tires and not use new axles or buy new rims to avoid rub issues

Tags
wheel , wheel spacers , wide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.