Wheel Spacer Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Wheel Spacer Advice

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
4X4COWBOY
2001 WJ 

Wheel Spacer Advice

Hey guys. Just bought 4 spidertrax wheel spacers to help eliminate the rub between my tires and front long arms. I'm thinking this will be a great Sunday activity however I am looking for advice that any of you guys have learned when putting yours on. Keep in mind the spacers came with lock tite. Also I don't have a torque wrench and have heard that 90lbs is where you want to be at. How critical is hitting this mark as oppose to just putting the lug nuts on as tight as possible?

Thanks for the help guys.

2001 WJ 4.7L V8, 6.5" IRO Critical Path Long Arms, 255/75/17 Firestone Destination M/T's, 17" JK Moabs, Flowmaster Super 40, SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers, Hunter Bull Bar w/ Fawkes Fab Relocation Brackets, 5/8" ARB Shackles, JCR Stage 2 Sliders
4X4COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4COWBOY View Post
Hey guys. Just bought 4 spidertrax wheel spacers to help eliminate the rub between my tires and front long arms. I'm thinking this will be a great Sunday activity however I am looking for advice that any of you guys have learned when putting yours on. Keep in mind the spacers came with lock tite. Also I don't have a torque wrench and have heard that 90lbs is where you want to be at. How critical is hitting this mark as oppose to just putting the lug nuts on as tight as possible?

Thanks for the help guys.
Very critical, you want all the nuts torqued to the same value.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I ran Spidertrax for 20k+ with no issues. I installed and maintained them in the following way.

- Removed wheels and cleaned the WMS
- Applied anti-seize to the WMS and back of spacer, small drop of red locktite on the studs
- Installed spacer and torqued to 100ft lbs
- Installed wheels and torqued to spec
- After 300 miles I took the same torque wrench, set it to 95 lf lbs and tested each spacer nut (does not break the locktite this way)
- Checked with the same method at each oil change
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good lord another one?

get a torq wrench! you would be amazed about how many things you need it for.
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
fast540
1999 WJ 

You don't need a torque wrench just slap those puppies on there it's not like they hold the wheel on or anything like that, o wait that is what they do u may wanna follow the install procedure for safety sake.
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used a 1.25" pair on the back for few years to offset a Warn Hub Conv in front. I just set the impact wrench at 2 of 1-2-3 (like I have for 15+ yrs) and hunkered down all 10 on each side, never torqued them. I just verified the inner 5 were tight every time I took the wheel off for some reason. Do what you want, just saying...
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Very critical, you want all the nuts torqued to the same value.
And in the ball park of the correct value.
Proper and even tensile stress on the lug bolt threads is the key to them not coming loose! JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4COWBOY View Post
..... How critical is hitting this mark as oppose to just putting the lug nuts on as tight as possible?.
Too tight is not good either. Can warp the brake rotors.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I used a 1.25" pair on the back for few years to offset a Warn Hub Conv in front. I just set the impact wrench at 2 of 1-2-3 (like I have for 15+ yrs) and hunkered down all 10 on each side, never torqued them. I just verified the inner 5 were tight every time I took the wheel off for some reason. Do what you want, just saying...
Always that one guy.

This guy ^ may have just been lucky. OP, buy a torque wrench, follow the instructions, check them every service interval. When you do it right, you know it's done right and don't have a second thought about it working how it's suppose to.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
4X4COWBOY
2001 WJ 

Thanks for all of you who had sincere advice. I'll be purchasing a torque wrench this week and get the job done right.
2001 WJ 4.7L V8, 6.5" IRO Critical Path Long Arms, 255/75/17 Firestone Destination M/T's, 17" JK Moabs, Flowmaster Super 40, SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers, Hunter Bull Bar w/ Fawkes Fab Relocation Brackets, 5/8" ARB Shackles, JCR Stage 2 Sliders
4X4COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.