What's the lowest pound winch you'd put on a stock Wrangler for recovery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What's the lowest pound winch you'd put on a stock Wrangler for recovery?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What's the lowest pound winch you'd put on a stock Wrangler for recovery?

My Jeep is primarily a street vehicle (daily driver), but I do like to take it off road now and then and I like to have provisions for getting un-stuck. My 8,000 pound winch just died which means I'm in the market for a new one. I'm thinking I should go with a better name this time though, probably Warn, but I'm not sure I can spare the money for a Warn 8,000 pounder.

I've heard the general rule is to get a winch rated for twice the poundage as the weight of the vehicle. I think my Jeep is in the neighborhood of mid-3,000 pounds, so, that probably means that I could get away with a 6,000 pound winch if that's the case.

Recently though I've talked to a guy who has a stock Jeep similar to mine. I saw he had a tiny winch on the front of it, so I asked him about it. He said it's a 2,500 pound winch and that it's un-stuck plenty of trucks with no problem. He claims the guys with 8,000 pound winches are "over-winching", that they're completely unnecessary for recovery, and that if a 2,500 pound winch can't un-stick something then something bigger is going to break something.

So who's right? What size winch should I be looking at?

TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WE Rock requires a minimum 6000 lb for our Stock Mod comp trucks.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
BoatCop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Twice the GVR is the unwritten "rule".

If you go with anything less that 8,000 lbs, get a snatch block to double the winch capacity. Which isn't a bad idea for ANY winch.
2007 Ford Expedition (Work Truck)
1999 Fleetwood Southwind 34' MH
BoatCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I would get at least 8000# winch. If you want an economy winch, Sam's Club started carrying improved model of Champion winch. I think it was around 350$.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike View Post
I would get at least 8000# winch. If you want an economy winch, Sam's Club started carrying improved model of Champion winch. I think it was around 350$.
And is that one less likely to take a dump on me than the Harbor Freight winch I paid $300 for?
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just get a Warn and go prepared lol. I think winches are like anything else. You pay for what you get

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
And is that one less likely to take a dump on me than the Harbor Freight winch I paid $300 for?
the smittybilt xrc8 is only $299 and i heard for another $40 you can get a lifetime warranty through 4wheelparts...?
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

x4whatever on 8000lbs. Twice the weight of the vehicle is the general rule.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
tjhemet
1999 TJ Wrangler 

8000 lbs.minimum.............
tjhemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what did you do to the HF? mine lasted over 4 years with alot of hard pull, well over thousand pulls

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Ben in NC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just got brand new a warn 8000 lb winch brand new with all the goodies for $509 plus $50 for shipping off fleabay. If you hawk the site the guy will post them again soon. I could get you his seller ID if you want it.
Ben in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For what I paid for my mile marker, I love it. And, it has never let me down. As far as the poundage, at least twice the GVR as someone stated before, but you really cant go wrong going one step up from that. Knowing that the power is there if you need it is never a bad thing.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Mike in IL
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in the mid-west. No rock crawling done, but plenty of mud, creeks, streams, and such to get into, and stuck. Our 04 has been buried in mud up to our knees. Not watery mud, thick I got you now mud. I have a 5000lb. Superwinch. Using the Superwinch and having jeep engaged in 4 wheel drive, we've never had problems getting out. Only problem is sometimes there isn't anything to hook winch to. I'm not trying to hang the jeep from a tree, or pull it vertically up a mountain wall. Last month, my son burried his H3- Hummer to the frame and beyound. The fat pig was quite stuck. Didn't even use the winch, jeep pulled it out using a recovery strap. It did take a bit, but we did get it out. Last Winter I used the winch to pull out a Ford 250 that got too far into the white stuff. I keep a set of folding wheel chocks and had to use them to keep the jeep from being pulled to the truck. Worked good. Got the wheel chocks from a Land Rover site. Folded up, they take very little room behind rear seat. Also have a set of orange heavy plastic chocks. Used them once, and they worked just as good. They have teeth on bottom side that bite into the ground. I'm just telling you what set up I have, and that it has worked. I also have a heavy rated snatch block in case I ever need to double the line back to the Jeep for increased pulling. Never had to use it as of yet. Knowing your Jeep and it's capabilities goes a long way in not getting stuck. Also your capabilities in driving and handling your Jeep in off road situations. Anyone can get stuck, but not everyone can get out..
Mike in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the 2003 rubicon is closer to 4300#... the 8000# is minimum in my book. I have a si9500 milemarker, I wish I put on a 12,000, when it's buried to the belly and suctioned in mud anything less grunts.
dealers used to put a package together with aev designed mopar bumpers and a warn 6000#.

the better question is what are you gonna use it for? the jeep only? or the f350 that's stuck in front of you?

how do I know what they weight?.....

[IMG]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/mudb8-/2b70B-UuG4iYraZZF***-rKebkCsTFJ9laB.jpg[/IMG]

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Recently though I've talked to a guy who has a stock Jeep similar to mine. I saw he had a tiny winch on the front of it, so I asked him about it. He said it's a 2,500 pound winch and that it's un-stuck plenty of trucks with no problem. He claims the guys with 8,000 pound winches are "over-winching", that they're completely unnecessary for recovery, and that if a 2,500 pound winch can't un-stick something then something bigger is going to break something.
So who's right? What size winch should I be looking at?

he will come to his senses when he's wearing the busted 2500# cable in his windsheild from double blocking it... obviously he hasn't unstuck anything that couldn't be pulled without the winch.

BTW the 2500# rating is for a rolling load not for dragging 2500#

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.