Whats better? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Whats better?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
czerbel
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Whats better?

Wrangler vs xj. (in my case 93 yj) which would be better? I'm interested in xjs cus I wanna know if there better then wranglers??? In a 4x4 style

czerbel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It all depends on what and how you are going to use it.
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, you can get offroading cheaper with an XJ. I prefer my YJ I think but I also think it would be cool to be able to carry more people so an XJ would be cool..... Like the other poster said, it really depends on what you are doing. I have never offroaded an XJ but might be better than a YJ because it has coils?
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

XJ VS YJ
long wheel base Vs short
unibody VS frame
more lift VS less lift for bigger tires
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
RogueFab

Ah yes... You have to think about what you want to do. Do you have kids? Are you going to? Than go with the XJ.

Do you want to be able to wheel mostly stock and go anywhere? Wrangler.

Do you want to be able to get your rig for $1500? XJ

Do you want to be able to bolt on anything ever made for a 4x4 and have 38 companies to choose from? Better get the Wrangler.

I personally like XJs better. More room, roof racks don't look stupid like a jungle gym, they are lighter, and they have a little more uniqueness to me. I loved the one I had back in the day.
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFab View Post
Do you want to be able to bolt on anything ever made for a 4x4 and have 38 companies to choose from? Better get the Wrangler.
Yeah, you'll only have 20 companies to choose from with the XJ.

XJ has a great auto trans as well as great axles front/rear - HP30 front and the Corporate 8.25" rear are a good axle combo. There aren't any real dog transfer cases either, most are NP231s. They made almost 3,000,000 XJs so getting parts is never an issue. And a lot of the aftermarket support transfers over from TJ parts as the front suspension & steering is so similar.

Add in the fact that you can hold more stuff, they don't leak, breaking in is a little harder than slitting the top with a pocket knife... I like the wagons. We're also comparing golden delicious apples to red delicious apples here, not like comparing a YJ to a Ram 3500 pickup. The XJ is slightly larger in wheelbase/length but not so much so that it falls into a different class of vehicle or can't be wheeled because it doesn't fit on the trail.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

XJ For Sure!

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I can find XJ parts at the junkyard ALL over the place. That is a benefit of the XJ. Now, in defense of the YJ, I do like being able to ride around with the top off. Also, isn't it fairy dire if you tweak the unibody? I know, you could twist the YJ frame or something but somehow I think that's a little harder. I think they are both good, wouldn't go as far as saying "XJ for sure".......
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.