Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is wrong with my 95 ZJ?

Tags
start won't zj
870 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Craft95ZJ 
#1 ·
I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has a straight 6, 4.0. I bought it a little over a month ago and it has been nothing but trouble. It had been sitting for about 6 months when I got it but it started after being jumped off. The battery had just been bought the same month the people got rid of it. Two days after I got it, it refused to start. It would crank and crank but never start. Originally we thought it wasn't getting spark. First thing we replaced was the crank sensor. Nothing happened. Then the pick up plate on the distributor. Still nothing. Then ignition coil. Nothing. All spark plugs were good. Relays were all replaced and still nothing. Poured gas directly in carbourator and it would start but as soon as we'd stop, it'd stop. So we then decide its a gas problem. Checked the fuel pressure and it was good. We put Heet in it and sprayed starter fluid in to the crabeurator and it started and I drove it around for two days again and it quit. My idioness then realized the fuel pump (also new) was not kicking on and the times it actually would I would start but it won't yet it's getting the right pressure. The security crap keeps going off almost every time I crank it. Idk what else could cause this other than the computer but then again I'm a 19 year old girl who is not very mechanically talented lol. It doesn't seem like the pump to me though cause its getting the right pressure and with the security issues and all of that (plus the notoriety of zj ecu's going bad) I think it's the ecu. Opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not real good on ZJ issues but if you post this on the ZJ page I am sure you will get a lot more answers.

There are issues that are probably related to setting so long

Sent from underneath my Jeep

#3 ·
Pull off the driver door panel and ground the purple wire with the yellow tracer, that will solve your alarm issue. The vehicle wont start if the alarm is going off. There's a write up somewhere on this forum just have to search for ZJ alarm disarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.