What winch to buy? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What winch to buy?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heat is only an issue when a winch is running in reverse and is using its brake to let a vehicle down an obstacle or cliff. In normal use of a winch when you're pulling yourself towards something, or something towards you, no brake heat is generated inside the drum. The heat issue some worry about is only a theoretical issue and not an issue at all in normal winching.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #32
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarOne View Post
Good to know, any issues with heat particularly the drum? IDK if I should buy the 9.0 and upgrade to synthetic rope. Or spend the extra money on a Talon SR. Superwinch claimed to have a thicker drum to protect synthetic rope from heat on the EP/i series. IDK if thats true, necessary, marketing or other wise. I was to slow to make up my mind and missed a decent deal for a 9.0S
I have 50' of 3/8" synthetic line where there was 100' of steel. All I can say is it has worked just fine so far on three pulls....2 pullin my jeep and 1 pullin another up a ledge the had a busted axle u-joint.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #33
kashoggio

Warn has synthetic lines now with their winches. I ordered mine few weeks ago and the tracking says it will be here Monday will post some pics then.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.