What winch to buy? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What winch to buy?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Don't sweat all the BS here. You can buy 2 to 4 winches for what they spent.

It is what it is. You have yours and he has his. Good luck!!

You can still buy the best and still end up with S**t. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperkid2000 View Post

You can still buy the best and still end up with S**t. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
That would be fine if the only time you winch failed was in the garage next to your tool box with a replacement winch ready to go.

Reality is it could fail when you are out if the woods, miles form help, and days from getting a new winch.

Better winches or better products in general will have tighter quality control standards. This will greatly reduce that chance of failure.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
That would be fine if the only time you winch failed was in the garage next to your tool box with a replacement winch ready to go.

Reality is it could fail when you are out if the woods, miles form help, and days from getting a new winch.

Better winches or better products in general will have tighter quality control standards. This will greatly reduce that chance of failure.
Just be happy for the guy, he got a winch. No need to beat the crap out of him because he didn't buy your personal preference. You can choose to pull him out or be on your merry way. Not trying to start a pissing match with you but damn.
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just be happy for the guy, he got a winch. No need to beat the crap out of him because he didn't buy your personal preference. You can choose to pull him out or be on your merry way. Not trying to start a pissing match with you but damn.
Which winch did he buy? I must have missed that post.

Unread 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
scotte016
1999 WJ 

Code:
So you bought a cheap Chinese winch with synthetic. So just how useful will that nice synthetic line be when the winch wont work.

Better to spend money on a good winch with steel cable, at least every thing will work. Then when you get money later replace the steel cable with Synthetic line.
Well first thing since youíre talking to me I will answer it makes no sense for me to spend the money on a Warn as I do not wheel mine its used to hunt and the winch will see minimal use. With some research I feel the one I bought will work fine for what I need. Now if I were to wheel full time I would go with a Ramsey. The market is full of winches now some cheap and some not but even the cheap one have come a long way. My neighbor has a Mile Maker on his blazer he has had for 6 years and its gets used at least monthly and sometimes way more and still running strong. A guy that works with me has had his Warn repaired twice in the last 18 months and its only been used 7 times. What it come down to is you get what you feel you need and we will get what we need.
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I have three Warns, an M8000 on my Jeep, an XD9000i on my truck and a 2.5ci on my ATV. Have owned the M8000 for seven years now and have used it probably two dozen times to unstuck a vehicle and at least 50x while logging around my small piece of farm property. None of mine have ever failed.

My father has a Warn 8274 that is on truck number four of his over the past 29 years and it's never failed.

Guy who owns a good size farm down the road from my little piece of hunting/fishing/atv property has a two year old Smitty. It's burnt out solenoids twice now. Smitty has been great about sending him new ones out (ground freight) for free both times, but that don't help with down time.

That said - get the best winch you can afford. A Chinese winch still beats no winch...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I got my m8000 for a $370

The VR's were even cheaper...
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte016 View Post
Code:
So you bought a cheap Chinese winch with synthetic. So just how useful will that nice synthetic line be when the winch wont work.

Better to spend money on a good winch with steel cable, at least every thing will work. Then when you get money later replace the steel cable with Synthetic line.
Well first thing since youíre talking to me I will answer it makes no sense for me to spend the money on a Warn as I do not wheel mine its used to hunt and the winch will see minimal use. With some research I feel the one I bought will work fine for what I need. Now if I were to wheel full time I would go with a Ramsey. The market is full of winches now some cheap and some not but even the cheap one have come a long way. My neighbor has a Mile Maker on his blazer he has had for 6 years and its gets used at least monthly and sometimes way more and still running strong. A guy that works with me has had his Warn repaired twice in the last 18 months and its only been used 7 times. What it come down to is you get what you feel you need and we will get what we need.

I was repsonding tot he OP and chopperkid.

Unread 11-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
mbookxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Look at the Rough Country 9500 w/ synthetic rope. Same price as the Smittybilt but rated for 1500 more lbs. Plus I've had some dealings with Smittybilt. Not impressed with their customer service. I think RC has great customer service and you get 10% off if you call and tell them you're a JF member. Can't beat that! Oh and BTW it's $449 for the 9500 w/synthetic. With the discount and shipping you are probably looking at around $460 out the door.
mbookxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #25
Mike
oooh you almost had it

being able to get replacement parts would be an important factor to me, no matter where the winch is manufactured.

stuff breaks...

just sayin'
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #26
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The old saying, "the bitter taste of poor quality remains much longer than the sweet taste of a low price.” Is no more evident than purchasing something so important as recovery gear. If you consider a winch nothing more than a trendy accessory then by all means, buy whatever.

Experienced wheelers consider a winch to be a zero fail piece if equipment. For me, there's no relief in the thought that a winch can be replaced cheaply time after time, after it fails when you really need it.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #27
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudvain View Post
being able to get replacement parts would be an important factor to me, no matter where the winch is manufactured.

stuff breaks...

just sayin'
Smitty Built seems to be good about getting replacement parts out, they seem to have good customer service. It also seems they have gotten better over the last year or so. If you want to go cheap I would go with a Smitty built

I have three friends who had Smitty built. All three had problems within the first few months or so. One very minor the others not. One of my friends finally dumped the winch and got a better one. It had electric issues. It didnít work out of the box. They would always send him a new this or that, but it would eventual fail again. The other just stopped working and the other had an issue with the bolt holding in the cable being to small. It seems people on the board here who have recently got them donít have as many problems.

In ten years I had one problem with my Warn. It was due to my misuse. Warn actually fixed it for free, they didn't just send me parts.

Just depends on how important it is to you.

Unread 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #28
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Experienced wheelers consider a winch to be a zero fail piece if equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Smitty Built seems to be good about getting replacement parts out, they seem to have good customer service.
Lets say this was a seat belt... or a transmission... or a steel winch cable... If any of these were to break when you needed it due to poor quality... on the road or trail... finding parts/replacement later would be the least of you're problems.

Just think about being stuck on a trail, the winch you're only option... and it doesnt work
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am leaning towards a Warn VR8000 right now even though they are new. Id really like to get a M8000 but I can not find any used ones at all and all of the ones I keep finding are $550 and up. I know Warn will stand behind their products and they have a very good reputation with their products working so I am going to take a look at them.
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #30
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I have the Ep9.0 and I know it will break a 12k steel cable without stalling it, I haven't busted the 18k synthetic line yet.
Good to know, any issues with heat particularly the drum? IDK if I should buy the 9.0 and upgrade to synthetic rope. Or spend the extra money on a Talon SR. Superwinch claimed to have a thicker drum to protect synthetic rope from heat on the EP/i series. IDK if thats true, necessary, marketing or other wise. I was to slow to make up my mind and missed a decent deal for a 9.0S
.(o))--(o))_(o))--(o))
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.