What winch to buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What winch to buy?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What winch to buy?

I am looking to buy my first winch and I am down between two so far. I know everyone always says buy a Warn but I am a high school student so my budget isnt to high. When I go out on trails Im always with other people so my winch might get used a few times a month if that. I am down between the Smittybilt XRC8 and the Rugged Ridge 8500 winch. I have read that some people have had issues with the Smittybilt but the customer service is good to work with. The Rugged ridge also has good reviews from what Ive seen.

Can anyone suggest out of the two what they would buy? Dose anyone have good or bad experience with either of the two?

Thanks

Unread 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

alot of those winch's are made by a company in china... sooo they may actually be the same winch.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would seriously consider this... (warn vr8000)
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-and-Winch-Accessories/VR8000-Winch-by-Warn.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6407&t_p n=WAR86245&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&ut m_campaign=product&emlprox=out

It was my backup idea if I didnt get my m8000 for a good deal.

EDIT: There is currently a 50 dollar mail in rebate from Warn for this... and black friday may have a good deal.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd save my $$$ until I could afford one of the U.S. made winches like from Warn.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Buy the right winch the first time. Otherwise you may regret not putting out the extra $. WARN.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Mike
oooh you almost had it

you can pick up a new Warn VR8000 for under 5 bills right now at most places.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
whitegoat

1999 XJ Cherokee 

for the price you can't beat a tabor, they're made by warn, i have a 12k paid around $650, hasn't let me down yet and it gets used quite a bit, only complaint is i had to fab a bracket for the solinoid pack which isn't a big deal

13' JK, leveled, 33"s (my mall crawler)
99' XJ limited, 6" w/ 3 link, 35" procomps
04' Rubicon 4.5" long arm, 35" bfg km2's -sold
91' XJ 6.5" rough country, 34" LTB's - sold
76' CJ5 4", 36" TSL's - sold
whitegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my Warn M10000 used for $300. I have since sunk somewhere in the five hundred range in it. I should have just gone with a M8000 new from the start.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
scotte016
1999 WJ 

Winch

I just bought the Smittybilt XRC8 with synthetic line. I know it is not a Warn and that the Warn is a top product. I do think Warn is t the top of the hill but others are catching up. I will say more need to research Warn before we go this made in the USA propaganda. Since the Warn name sold and stepped away from the company in 2000 and then in 2003 they joined Dover Group a GLOBAL manufacture. Then in 2005 they open their sales office in the Netherlands and a manufacture facility in Mexico. So yes Warn is assembled for the most part in the US but not totally made in the US. Just like Leupold Optics assembled in the US but internals made in Asia.
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
SolarOne
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any opinions on the Superwinch Epi9.0? It seems like the a good bang for the buck (line speed/prices to sell).
.(o))--(o))_(o))--(o))
SolarOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Ibnzmonkey
2002 KJ Liberty 

Im buying the RC 1200 winch. Why? Because its cheap and functions like every other winch that costs several hundred dollars more.
Ibnzmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarOne View Post
Any opinions on the Superwinch Epi9.0? It seems like the a good bang for the buck (line speed/prices to sell).
I have the Ep9.0 and I know it will break a 12k steel cable without stalling it, I haven't busted the 18k synthetic line yet.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A truck broke a axle this weekend at a local off-road park. He burned up the motor on his Warn and had to be pulled out by a Badlands winch.
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte016 View Post
I just bought the Smittybilt XRC8 with synthetic line. I know it is not a Warn and that the Warn is a top product. I do think Warn is t the top of the hill but others are catching up. I will say more need to research Warn before we go this made in the USA propaganda. Since the Warn name sold and stepped away from the company in 2000 and then in 2003 they joined Dover Group a GLOBAL manufacture. Then in 2005 they open their sales office in the Netherlands and a manufacture facility in Mexico. So yes Warn is assembled for the most part in the US but not totally made in the US. Just like Leupold Optics assembled in the US but internals made in Asia.

Its not where its built, its where it is designed, and who stands behind it. The VR series parts are made elsewhere, but they are made to spec from the company here, and the same company has good customer service.

I am in total understanding of anyone who is on a budget, and dont knock anyone wanting something like that. But if you can find a warn, even a VR series for a good deal, I would jump on it. Thats the reason I got my M8000...
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte016 View Post
I just bought the Smittybilt XRC8 with synthetic line.

So you bought a cheap Chinese winch with synthetic. So just how useful will that nice synthetic line be when the winch wont work.

Better to spend money on a good winch with steel cable, at least every thing will work. Then when you get money later replace the steel cable with Synthetic line.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.