What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #106
05TJS
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great posting!

05TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #107
Notabene
2004 WJ 

I've been lurking on quite a few forums for a while but cant help but ask for help from someone to explain something I can't get my head around in regards to auto lockers.

Jerry mentions that auto lockers operate on a ratcheting type system...

So what goes on when you reverse

If it's a one way ratchet system, does it not mean the ratchet will ensure no motion going through to the wheels when you are running backwards.

It's probably an easy answer, but it would be nice to know from a technical point of view how it works in reverse, and if the auto locking design is just as effective and faithful in reverse.

A manual locker is just as good for forward and reverse. What about the auto lockers?

This is a very educational and interesting thread, explained simply. That's why I decided to whack my technical question in this particular thread on this forum, so it's included for ever
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #108
paul246
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Aussie auto-locker isn't really a ratchet system per se, but utilizes interlocking teeth that have double bevels. When the locker locks up it is a solid connection, no ratchet at work. The two halves of teeth can be easily moved apart with light spring pressure when torque is reduced or removed. There is sometimes a ratcheting sound emitted when the differential is "open" when the auto-locker has disengaged when the vehicle is doing a turn on dry pavement. The auto-locker performs the same in forward or reverse.

The Aussie is a nice piece of gear, got my Jeep out of some super sticky muck holes.

Check out their site for some FAQ's.
http://www.aussielocker.com/how-it-works#answer3
paul246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #109
Notabene
2004 WJ 

Ahhh. I see.

Thanks for explaining Paul.
I'm late replying because I never received an email alerting me to your post after I subscribed to this thread

I'll check out the Aussie lockers.

I've gotta choose one soon.
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #110
Daniel35

Very interesting post
Daniel35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.