What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #61
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The only time I would not want automatic lockers is if I had to drive on icy roads or on icy trails a lot during the winter.
That's exactly why I fear getting an auto. Chicago roads get messy, and it seems like EVERYONE who has run an auto says don't get one if you hit snow or ice. Looks like selectable locker or LSD are my only real choices.

chitownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #62
animated_robot
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So some Jeepers add lockers in the rear, others add them to the front. I happen to think locking the rear axle first does the most good, but I have installed automatic lockers into both of my axles... which works pretty darned well. But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited, avoid installing a locker in the rear axle and install it in the front axle instead. Since the front axle rarely receives more than 50% of the torque that the rear axle does, it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires. But if your rear axle is the optional and far stronger Dana 44, by all means install a locker into it if your trails are tough enough to make a locker desirable.
I know this is an old thread, but I found some good info in the first write up. I thought about a locker for my front and rear axle, Dana 30 front - Dana 44 rear. I think I am going to add the locker to the rear.
animated_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #63
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A rear locker would be a good decision for your particular rig and location, rear lockers provide more benefit for most wheeling condition. Be wary of what locker you install though. Bad choices for the rear axle include the Aussie, Lockright, and EZ-Locker as all three of those automatic lockers are very poorly behaved when installed into the rear axle. Good choices of automatic lockers for the rear are the Detroit Locker (more $$$ but stronger) and the Powertrax No-Slip (less $$$ not as strong as the Detroit Locker).

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #64
animated_robot
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry for the information.

I am looking into the 2 lockers you suggested. Do you or any one you known have had any problems with ARB air lockers?

Not sure this will help, but it is going on a 2010 Wrangler Sport.
animated_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #65
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by animated_robot View Post
Thanks Jerry for the information.

I am looking into the 2 lockers you suggested. Do you or any one you known have had any problems with ARB air lockers?

Not sure this will help, but it is going on a 2010 Wrangler Sport.
To me, ARB's air lockers are the best invention since sliced bread. An ARB air locker (or two) would be a superb choice. Make sure the installer you hire to install them is highly experienced at installing ARB air lockers, not just some guy who claims he won't have any trouble. That is the key to making them reliable, especially making sure he isn't lazy about routing the air lines properly so they are not vulnerable to getting snagged on the trail. Properly installed, the ARB air locker is "bulletproof" but a bad installation will cause nothing but problems.

Unread 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #66
Happyman
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just learned a ton and I really appreciated this thread. Thanks. I'm here to learn. I know very little about taking my Jeep beyond a fire road and I'm looking forward to this education. So with that being said, can you answer a question about my 09 Rubicon? Am I correct that I have lockers? I have the ability to apply "axle lock" to either front, rear or both via the switch on the panel. Is this the same as what we are talking about in this article and is it a good solution for me or something I need to upgrade in the future?
Happyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #67
cheftrail
2005 TJ Wrangler 

great topic! I've been wheeling for 15 years and I'm just now starting to do my own mod's! It really helps when you know what you're doing! I have the stock 30 & 35 on my 05 TJ with 40k miles, I run 33x12.50's and I thought I wanted front and rear lockers. How do you activate manual lockers, and can someone of minimal skill do the install? I don't do a lot of crawling, just steep climbs and river beds in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains. thanks
cheftrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
I just learned a ton and I really appreciated this thread. Thanks. I'm here to learn. I know very little about taking my Jeep beyond a fire road and I'm looking forward to this education. So with that being said, can you answer a question about my 09 Rubicon? Am I correct that I have lockers? I have the ability to apply "axle lock" to either front, rear or both via the switch on the panel. Is this the same as what we are talking about in this article and is it a good solution for me or something I need to upgrade in the future?
Yes your Rubicon includes the real thing, true lockers are installed into both axles. You can lock the rear axle by itself, or both the front and rear lockers together. The front locker is designed by the factory to not be lockable unless the rear axle is also locked. Few would ever need to upgrade or replace their Rubicon lockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftrail View Post
great topic! I've been wheeling for 15 years and I'm just now starting to do my own mod's! It really helps when you know what you're doing! I have the stock 30 & 35 on my 05 TJ with 40k miles, I run 33x12.50's and I thought I wanted front and rear lockers. How do you activate manual lockers, and can someone of minimal skill do the install? I don't do a lot of crawling, just steep climbs and river beds in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains. thanks
Manual lockers come in three types... actuated electrically or by air, both of which are push-button controlled. Or actuated mechanically which is actuated by a lever. Installing a selectable (manual) locker is best installed by a competent mechanic who knows how to set up gears which is not a trivial task.

You can however install an automatic "lunchbox" locker like an Aussie, Lockright, or No-Slip, in your front axle with just typical mechanical skills and a basic set of tools. Ask how in the TJ Technical forum.

Unread 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #69
Happyman
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry. I got a chance to use them this weekend and having read your post I felt a whole lot better educated doing so. I'm enjoying learning all about what these Jeeps can do and how to use them. Great post!
Happyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #70
BBG-C5

I have Aussie lockers on the front and the factory rear unlimited slip on my 2008 2 door JK. I had the lockers installed right before our trip to Hot Springs Superlift ORV and it was a BIG difference in how the Jeep handled in the rough stuff. The only complaint I have about the Aussie lockers is my turning radius isn't what it used to be.
BBG-C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #71
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
you dont, but then its macho and you can tell all your friends. i ran my jeep for years without one and hardly ever had a problem. i did some pretty extreme four wheeling. you get to know your jeep. the best is 33" tires and a lift.
Well I sort of disagree with you, I got slowed down several times on the trails w/ guys running 33's w/o lockers. I sat off to the side of the trail while they made several attempts to get over obstacles, once they cleared them, it was up and over for me and my 31's at that time. Oh by the way I had an ARB in the rear, it made all the difference. Now I am running 33's w/ an ARB also in the front. I agree they are a bit $$ but I just saved a bit longer.

PS: great write up Jerry

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #72
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

great tips!!
aewalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #73
paul246
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to add my 2 cents, I now have an Aussie Locker installed in the front axle of my '98 TJ and I left the stock rear diff open. To me, I have the best setup without going to more expensive selectables.

The front axle has the most weight (engine) so it will provide the most grip. This makes the most out of the fact that the wheels on that axle can be locked together.

The front axle is part-time. If I don't want the wheels locked, I simply move the lever on the transfer case. Call it a poor man's selectable lunchbox.

As for the rear axle, if required, I can utilize the handbrake to move torque to the wheel with the best grip. Call it a poor man's locker.

The advantage is the rear is left open, so no squirrly handling to worry about.

BTW, I have subjected my front aussie equipped TJ to every imaginable surface condition ( other than dry pavement where it doesn't belong anyway) including deep snow, packed snow, sheer ice, ice ruts, off camber roads with ice, icy curves and icy uphill grades and I can honestly say this thing is fantastic. It WORKS perfectly, no darting or jumping, in fact, I wouldn't know it was there except for the tremendous traction I now have and just a bit more steering effort. It is great...up front!
paul246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #74
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With both axles locked my little YJ is virtually unstopable. I do not notice enough of an issue with my YJ to make it a problem for having the locker in the rear. I did have a problem shortly after installing my lift where the u bolts had loosened. This was allowing the axle to shift and the locker was going nuts. Now that they are tight, as long as my tires are fairly close in pressure the rear locker is virtually un detectable on the road. And it really does help on snowy roads. Just my personal experience and I've read where people have had terrible experiences with them, Don't know why. Just wanted to point out I am not even close to stuck in any of these pictures.
sam_0207.jpg   ice-water.jpg   photo0709.jpg  

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #75
cheftrail
2005 TJ Wrangler 

to lock or not to lock

about two weeks ago i cashed out my diff in d35, eventually i plan to go with 8.8 but for now i just need it back on the road. i looked at the three reviews for the eaton truetrack and i think i've made up my mind. my question is about the price! in the reviews the msrp is $200, where did this price come from? best price i can find so far is $420 shipped
cheftrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.