What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #46
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

I know exactly how it all works and I still read it from start to finish. Good info for the clued and the clueless. I just can't get stuff form my head to paper quite that concisely.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #47
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

you dont, but then its macho and you can tell all your friends. i ran my jeep for years without one and hardly ever had a problem. i did some pretty extreme four wheeling. you get to know your jeep. the best is 33" tires and a lift.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #48
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have installed Aussie lockers (automatic lockers) in both of the axles on my 2.5L YJ and although they do present some of the negative symptoms that were described earlier. the added traction off road far outways any poor manners on the road. I can tell you that if you suspension is loose and sloppy the bad manners will be much worse. You also need to be very carefull to keep the pressure exact in all of you tires. a difference in pressure equates to a diiference in height, therefore its like you have two different sized tires on that axle. The locker will lock and unlock erratically trying to allow the taller faster tire to differentiate. I have updated all my bushings and some other loose suspension parts, new lift springs and they road manners are almost un-noticable. this is not my DD but just a toy. If it was a DD that I was to use in winter I probably would swap a selectable locker in the rear, but the bang for the buck is definately with these lockers. I did both axles for just over 500 bucks. Would cost more than that to buy a decent selectable for one axle. I have 33X9.5 BFG at/ko's and it goes through some serious junk!
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #49
blmudd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry thanks for the information. This helps.
blmudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #50
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was hoping to get some input from all you wise and seasoned veterans

I just bought my first Jeep, a '98 TJ Sport. It is my daily driver, so keep that in mind. I want to get more into off roading and I'm looking into a locker/lockers. Now since it is my DD, and the roads in Chicago during the winter are "less than optimal" I would like to be able to use 4WD when it's crappy outside. That being said, I don't know if I want an auto locker in the front axle. I've heard, yes I'm using hearsay because I have no actual experience with it, that for icy/snowy conditions you don't want an auto locker in the front. Now I don't know how an auto in the rear axle would do in the snow, so that's where I need advice. I was thinking that if it wasn't going to be dangerous or erratic in ice and snow, I would do an auto locker in the rear axle and a Torsen LSD like the Detroit TrueTrac in the front. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advanced from a greenhorn Jeeper,

Brian
chitownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #51
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownEMT View Post
I was hoping to get some input from all you wise and seasoned veterans

I just bought my first Jeep, a '98 TJ Sport. It is my daily driver, so keep that in mind. I want to get more into off roading and I'm looking into a locker/lockers. Now since it is my DD, and the roads in Chicago during the winter are "less than optimal" I would like to be able to use 4WD when it's crappy outside. That being said, I don't know if I want an auto locker in the front axle. I've heard, yes I'm using hearsay because I have no actual experience with it, that for icy/snowy conditions you don't want an auto locker in the front. Now I don't know how an auto in the rear axle would do in the snow, so that's where I need advice. I was thinking that if it wasn't going to be dangerous or erratic in ice and snow, I would do an auto locker in the rear axle and a Torsen LSD like the Detroit TrueTrac in the front. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advanced from a greenhorn Jeeper,

Brian
I don't know why you couldn't use the auto locker in the front, but the rear one will definately give you some excitement on icy roads. I have Aussie lockers in both axles, but mine is just a toy and won't see any snow duty. They are great for a trail rig like mine and I can tolerate the occasional squirrelyness on the road for the cost difference. When I eventually do an axle swap in the rear I will go with a selectable locker back there of some sort. Hope that helps.
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #52
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibstools View Post
I don't know why you couldn't use the auto locker in the front, but the rear one will definately give you some excitement on icy roads. I have Aussie lockers in both axles, but mine is just a toy and won't see any snow duty. They are great for a trail rig like mine and I can tolerate the occasional squirrelyness on the road for the cost difference. When I eventually do an axle swap in the rear I will go with a selectable locker back there of some sort. Hope that helps.
I completely agree. I went with an Aussie up front, but i went with a PowerTrax No Slip in the back. While I don't regret either purchase/installation, I wasn't as prepared as I thought for the inevitable torque steer as a result of the rear lunchbox locker. Unlike the post above, mine is a daily driver...

The "squirrely" road manners are present at any speed, however, more so at higher/highway speeds. And if your tire grabs an imperfection in the pavement it's that much worse. After this experience with a rear, lunchbox locker, I'm inclined to discourage its use on the road. However, off road it's outstanding...

For what it's worth, my decision was budget driven. New carrier, reset the gearing or re-gear both axles, plus the cost of a selectable just wasn't in the budget. In my case, I was eager to get locked all around and increase my off road ability. I succeeded at that, at the cost of road/pavement manners, that admittedly, I underestimated.

Last, while it doesn't seem like it would be that bad, I suspect I'll get pulled over on suspicion of DWI. Once they got you detained, all bets are off, guilty or not. Personally, I don't like attracting the attention of L.E.O.'s unnecessarily...something to think about if you opt for a rear lunchbox in a daily driver.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #53
BCboy

So I have a question for all of you.

Is there an easy to install, somewhat inexpensive posi type unit I can install in the rear of a 2010 wrangler?
I want to keep it good for regualr commuting, running errands etc. but offer better traction in snow, mud, and on rocks.
It has a 3.21 gear ratio, open differential front and rear now, no anti spin (posi) at all currently.
BCboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #54
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

"The "squirrely" road manners are present at any speed, however, more so at higher/highway speeds. And if your tire grabs an imperfection in the pavement it's that much worse. After this experience with a rear, lunchbox locker, I'm inclined to discourage its use on the road. However, off road it's outstanding..."

Raggetyold man, I'm not sure why you have the issues you have with yours. I only notice any problems when I shift, and if I shift lightly I rarely feel the torque steer. One thing that is very important with these "luchbox" lockers is the tires have to be well maintained. They have to be exactly the same ride height and maintaining near perfectly matched air pressure is also essential. Ocasionally I start to feel more pushing one way or another. I always check my tire pressure and sure enough one is a few pounds low. As soon as I equalize them again everything is well again. One other thing I found, I installed these lockers before my spring lift. the torque steer was much more noticable with the tired old springs. with the new springs, I need to shift pretty hard ussually to get it to act up at all.
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #55
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard pretty solid reviews on the Auburn ECTED electric lockers, anyone have any input on them? It's a clutch-type LSD when the locker is turned off, which is peachy by me, and you flip a switch and 12V causes an electromagnet to lock the axles. Sounds like a pretty legit prospect. And they're about $200 less than an ARB or Ox manual locker. The fact that it's an LSD when off, as opposed to open with the ARB or Ox, is even nicer. Thoughts on running this e-locker out back and a Detroit TrueTrac LSD up front?
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #56
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with the Auburn Ected is that both the limited slip differential and the locker depends on a clutch pack to work. And as we all know, clutch packs wear out and they can slip. The ECTED locker is known to slip on tough trails due, again, to its use of a clutch to lock with. And on a tough trail in a tough situation, the last thing you want to have happen is for your locker to slip... which it is know to do.

And on top of that, when the clutch pack wears out and needs to be replaced, it has to go back to Auburn to be rebuilt. It is not rebuildable in the field or at home, according to Auburn.

I will never ever (!) have a clutch-based LSD or locker in any Jeep I ever own.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #57
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great point Jerry, didn't really consider that before. I don't do ANY rock climbing, almost all mudding and forest crawling, and I do daily drive my TJ. Would an LSD in the rear be a better route for me? Most of the hardcore offroaders seem to think that it's a full locker or nothing. However, I can't picture a scenario when I would have one wheel completely off the ground. I keep flip-flopping between auto locker and LSD for the rear. This is a harder choice than picking where to go to college
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #58
Mediarocker

I'm not a fan of "Auto" lockers and LSD's in Daily drivers. Sure a seasoned driver can handle them, but as raggedy mentioned they can get to be a handful.

Its for this reason I never got around to installing a locker in my jeep. that and I never had the funding to.

When I get my next jeep, I'll be throwing an ARB in it, because selectable in the end gives you better control over your DD.

Its just my 2 cents and experience.

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #59
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if I would call a good LSD "squirrely". Any good viscous or Torsen-type LSD should have very smooth engagement, far from the ratchetting and clicking of an auto locker. To buy my Jeep I sold my '89 Nissan 240SX with ~375WHP and a VLSD out back and I had no problems at all with erratic behavior, even in the rain or snow (the two times I ever drove it in the snow haha). In fact, don't Rubicons come stock with an LSD, and other trims with the D35 have one as an option? It seems like a pretty viable option, given the offroading terrain I go over and the snow I'll see as a daily driver.
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #60
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
I'm not a fan of "Auto" lockers and LSD's in Daily drivers. Sure a seasoned driver can handle them, but as raggedy mentioned they can get to be a handful.

Its for this reason I never got around to installing a locker in my jeep. that and I never had the funding to.

When I get my next jeep, I'll be throwing an ARB in it, because selectable in the end gives you better control over your DD.

Its just my 2 cents and experience.
It doesn't sound like you have personal first-hand experience with auto lockers unless it was perhaps something like a lunchbox locker (Lockright, Aussie, EZ-Locker) in the rear axle. Lunchbox lockers in the rear axle can be unpleasant but don't let that make anyone feel that all automatic lockers misbehave in the rear axle like lunchbox lockers do. The Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker being the exception to that, it is actually fairly well behaved when installed in the rear and virtually undetectable when in the front until you shift into 4x4.

I ran a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Powertrax No-Slip locker in the front of my '97 daily driver TJ (stolen in March) and you barely knew the Detroit was there. You couldn't even tell the No-Slip was up front until you shifted into 4x4. I put well over 120K miles onto my Detroit Locker for daily driving duties and it was a very benign and well behaved locker that only reminded me of its presence every few days by a little bit of a minor lurch or a snap as it unloaded but those events were so rare as to be non-events.

I have selectable lockers in in my '04 TJ but frankly, I miss my automatic Detroit Locker... point and shoot, that was it. The only time I would not want automatic lockers is if I had to drive on icy roads or on icy trails a lot during the winter.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.