What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4X4!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finished Hand Throttle Installation

Here's the Rubicon Exress Hand Throttle (installed) in my 2005 X...

dcp_0020.1.jpg   dcp_0021.1.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 05-13-2010 at 09:35 AM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
goalieman1830
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the awesome post. just bought my wrangler yesterday so the more i learn the better
goalieman1830 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #33
dirt_pirate
1998 TJ Wrangler 

that was a lot of good information for a newbie such as myself. It explained a lot I didn't understand
dirt_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #34
mchs2009

i learnd a lil trick which most of you probly already know but if you dont have lockers like me just hold the brake a lil when you lose traction with one tire this locks up the loose tire and tricks the stock diff
mchs2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #35
mbarros
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a front Air Locker on my jeep as well as an on board air compressor. Do I need to be running the compressor in order to activte the locker?
mbarros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #36
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you do
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #37
mbarros
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thanks...do I need to leave the compressor on or just when I engage the lockers and take them off
mbarros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #38
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you lose air pressure your locker will disengage.
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #39
Mediarocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarros View Post
thanks...do I need to leave the compressor on or just when I engage the lockers and take them off
From what I know very little of Air Lockers, You need to Leave the compressor on when engaging and disengaging the lockers. The Compressor needs to stay on when the locker is ON.

The only time i can see a problem here is if you are required to run the axle locked for a long time whereas a Light/Medium duty compressor would not be subject to "Continuous" duty it would wear out and the compressor would fail. The best idea is to get a Tank where the Air compressor can store air, and turn on and off thanks to a pressure switch in the line. When the Air pressure in the tank falls below a predetermined level, the switch turns the compressor on.

Whats also good about this system, is you can use it to air up your tires after wheeling the trails.

When/If I get an airlocker i'm going to put a compressor tank in right off the bat. Do it right the first time

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #40
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
From what I know very little of Air Lockers, You need to Leave the compressor on when engaging and disengaging the lockers. The Compressor needs to stay on when the locker is ON.

The only time i can see a problem here is if you are required to run the axle locked for a long time whereas a Light/Medium duty compressor would not be subject to "Continuous" duty it would wear out and the compressor would fail. The best idea is to get a Tank where the Air compressor can store air, and turn on and off thanks to a pressure switch in the line. When the Air pressure in the tank falls below a predetermined level, the switch turns the compressor on.
An ARB air compressor does not need to run continuously to keep one or both ARB air lockers locked up, not even close.

So long as the system is not leaking from a faulty installation, you can keep a pair of ARB air lockers locked up all day and the compressor won't usually have to run at all, or perhaps just a short burst towards the end of the day. When I wheel with a particular group of wheelers that mostly all have ARB lockers, I might hear one ARB compressor cycle on and then shut off a few seconds later during the day but that's it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
Mediarocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
An ARB air compressor does not need to run continuously to keep one or both ARB air lockers locked up, not even close.

So long as the system is not leaking from a faulty installation, you can keep a pair of ARB air lockers locked up all day and the compressor won't usually have to run at all, or perhaps just a short burst towards the end of the day. When I wheel with a particular group of wheelers that mostly all have ARB lockers, I might hear one ARB compressor cycle on and then shut off a few seconds later during the day but that's it.
Thanks for clearing that up Jerry

You have made me sway more to air lockers right now

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #42
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
You have made me sway more to air lockers right now
If I had the extra $$$ laying around, I'd convert both my my lockers (Detroit Locker and No-Slip) to ARB Air Lockers in a heartbeat. Not that either of my present lockers (both are 8-9+ years old) have ever given me any trouble.

Unread 09-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #43
cschoeny
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ive got a few more questions. Before you were talking about auto lockers. Does a Detroit locker release the outside wheel when turning? And how does a Loc-Rite locker work?
cschoeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #44
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschoeny View Post
Ive got a few more questions. Before you were talking about auto lockers. Does a Detroit locker release the outside wheel when turning? And how does a Loc-Rite locker work?
A Detroit Locker is an automatic locker which really only means that its normal mode is locked but that it releases the outside wheel when it turns faster than the inside wheel so it can ratchet through the turn. That is exactly how a ratchet wrench works too. Also, the more power applied through the locker, the harder it becomes for that outside wheel to unlock so its best to coast (or at least not apply much power) through turns with any automatic locker.

Unread 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #45
McDowra

YouTube - ARB Air Locker Demonstration is a good locker demo on video.
McDowra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.