What type of fitting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What type of fitting?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

What type of fitting?

I need some help identifying this type of fitting.

This is from Stu's CO2 system. My issue is the coupler that connects the air hose to my CO2 regulator leaks. It's not leaking past there threads, but the coupler itself. I've tried different types of couplers and no luck. I've searched google high and low and the best I can come up with is it's some kind of 45 flare fitting, but Stu says this specific fitting safely exhaust the air when you unscrew it.

If someone know the name of this type of fitting that would be great.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd switch to a standard quick disconnect like an air tool uses. That's how I set my C02 tank up and it works well.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I have now, regular quick disconnects. I first used a standard automotive male fitting, but that leaked badly. Then I switched to an industrial male fitting and that stopped it from leaking, but once in use and everything starts getting cold it starts leaking again. Only have a leaking problem at the regulator side, no issues at the other end.

This is how it is now:

Standard universal female coupler and industrial male fitting. I tested the leak with soapy water and it is the coupler, not the threads. Maybe it's the cheap Home Depot couplers...

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are two styles of air fittings, maybe the other style would work better or not leak for you. Mine doesn't leak at all. I made sure all my quick disconnects are the universal style that accepts either style.

The type I switched to for all my air tools and air hoses that doesn't leak for me looks like this. That way the hose can hand downward so it doesn't stick out which makes the rig easier to handle.

The type I used to use that seemed to leak more as I recall looked like this...

One thing that helped on mine was installing a 45 before the quick disconnect which lowered the fitting's angle so it looks like this one. That way the hose hangs downward instead of out to the side which makes the rig easier to handle and use.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.