What is spline count? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What is spline count?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What is spline count?

Hi, I think I have a pretty good handle on most things mechanical. But I've never been able to figure out why higher splined axles are stronger.

Aren't they just more grooves cut into the axle shaft, and wouldn't that make the grooves smaller and just easier to strip out & spin?

Start with the basics if you don't mind. Splines are the inner end of the axle, correct?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Quan

I'll tell you what gator told me. If you look at some of the portal axles on unimogs, they look like they are 4 spline, big cuts into them. So the more cuts you have, the smaller the notches, but the less you have to cut into the axle. So the splines arent as 'tall' and harder to break. make sense? probably not

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #3
01Sport
2002 WJ 

I have been wondering the same thing. I guess I need a demo in person. Thats beginning to help but no completely. Roughneck, did you get it?

Thanks Quan!

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This may be something I will have to take on faith. If you make more splines, they have to get smaller and shallower, at some point they will just round off and let the axle spin, right?
Is there some number of splines that you can't go over?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
RodeoRob

also remember, the more splines you have the more surface contact and you're dividing out forces more.

The number of splines you can have is gonna correlate to shaft diameter as well. You can build a Ford 9" to have 40-spline shafts, thats about the highest count i'm aware of.

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #6
Quan

i think theres a company making 43 or 35 spline..but not sure

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

RodeoRob hit it on the head - it's all about more surface contact - the same thing is true about bolts - the fine threads can handle significantly more torque than a bolt of the same size & grade in a coarse thread.

Last edited by OldJeepguy; 04-12-2003 at 07:40 AM..
OldJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
Mels95YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by OldJeepguy
the same thing is true about bolts - the fine threads can handle significantly more torque than a bolt of the same size & grade in a coarse thread.
I never knew that! I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Mel
Unread 04-19-2003, 02:43 AM   #9
I-4

Quote:
Originally posted by RodeoRob
also remember, the more splines you have the more surface contact and you're dividing out forces more.

The number of splines you can have is gonna correlate to shaft diameter as well. You can build a Ford 9" to have 40-spline shafts, thats about the highest count i'm aware of.

-Rob
40 is the most splines you can get for any axle at this point.we all know how fast that changes. what rob said + the more splines you have, the bigger the shaft has to be to accomodate all of those splines.
Unread 04-19-2003, 02:45 AM   #10
I-4

Quote:
Originally posted by Quan

I'll tell you what gator told me. If you look at some of the portal axles on unimogs, they look like they are 4 spline, big cuts into them. So the more cuts you have, the smaller the notches, but the less you have to cut into the axle. So the splines arent as 'tall' and harder to break. make sense? probably not

i don't have spiders in my rearend...
i got rid if those when i did my axle swap. spools rule!
Unread 04-22-2003, 07:10 AM   #11
01Sport
2002 WJ 

OK, can someone tell me the difference between spider gears and spools.

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.