What size trailer tires would you use? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What size trailer tires would you use?

The classic military trailer (M416 or M100) had a trailer frame size (for the tub) of 41" by 72". Most of the companies that make Jeep off-road trailers now still go with a 41" by 72". I built one of those little 4' trailers (see picture at left). It works well, but 6' (72") would be ideal; 8' trailers (96") just seems a bit too long to pull behind a Jeep.

So here's my question: If you could buy a trailer frame of 41" x 72" (to put either a reproduction metal military trailer tub or make your own box) what size tires would you put on it? I believe the old military trailers had a 26" - 28" skinny tire on it for baseline considerations. There's a company out there that's thinking of making trailer frames this size, and is trying to figure out how wide to make the axle. Here's a diagram to think about it, then tell me.

Attached Thumbnails
trailer%20dimensionsM416-1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Same tires and wheels as the tow vehicle. Then my spare would fit either and I could use the trailer tires on the Jeep if needed.

"If a law is stupid, you have to break it."
HST
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Heavy D
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokerdog View Post
Same tires and wheels as the tow vehicle. Then my spare would fit either and I could use the trailer tires on the Jeep if needed.
Ditto
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokerdog View Post
That's what I figured most people would say. But I thought I would ask.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I would say the same thing, but carrying a single spare for a 6-wheeled arrangement might be a little short-sighted. Depends on what you did with it and where you took it I suppose. Expedition trailer, I'd want 2 spares, one on the Jeep and one on the trailer. Weekend camping trailer, one spare would be fine.

Of course, almost everything around me is sharp rocks. If it were more mud, clay, sand, probably wouldn't be worried about a double-spare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.