What size lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What size lift?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

What size lift?

Got a jk 2010 and getting 35" tires, just ordered the rims. 3"or 4" lift? Is 4 to big? Anyone got pics?

hub0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to the JK page and read a little. When you lift there are a lot of other things to consider. The following things change and can cause further modification and costs.

Pinion angle on the drive shaft, steering geometry changes, linkages and cables, and with bigger tires for the lift you may have too re-gear your axles to get the power back.

I run an old YJ and went 4" with 33s. Ended up with an SYE and custom shaft, crappy brakes, re-gear I am currently working and axle swap to 8.8 Ford. I have crappy steering and all the fixes for all this is $$$. I have fun and wheel it on the weekends so no issues but check out what you are in for first.

Maybe join a local club most don't charge dues or they are really cheap. You can talk to other owners and see what works what doesn't and what products they used or where they had the work done and how much.

On the JK page there is over 1K people on at any one time and you can get some real good help there.

Do the research, decide what you want your Jeep to be able to do and then have some FUN!!!

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

never had a jk, but a group member/friend did, so take this with a grain of salt. he had 4" of lift with 35s and had to trim the little piece of corner of the sheet metal on bottom front of the rear wheel wells because they would on occasion cut the tires.
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

For 35s, you need no more than 2.5 inch lift. After 3 inches, you'll need to change drive shafts, add adjustible control arms, extend the brake lines, fron and rear adjustable track bars, ect.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

3+ add drive shafts.

this year Jk gearing is from 4:88 to 5:13 for 35"s

once you go past 3. High steer, with a lifted track mount. Raise the rear track bar mount. This will keep the roll center happy, better steering and less lean.

Going 35"s can be done with NO lift as well. Check out the Metal Cloak High line fenders.

READ THE Jk FAQ's.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

After reading this stuff I'm considering one of rock krawlers 2.5 lifts I wheel in mud n sand since I'm in nj not to many rocks
hub0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Katiemay
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2006 rubicon and am going to do a 3" suspension lift and looking at a body lift as well to give a little more clearance. If I do, do I need to do any extensions on my linkages? ( just getting into jeeping)
Katiemay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.