What to look for in a fire extinguisher - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What to look for in a fire extinguisher

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 02-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Rush1184
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What to look for in a fire extinguisher

I am looking to get a fire extinguisher for my jeep, but dont want to break the bank. I saw a two pack of extinguishers in costco for $20 that were a decent type, I am just wondering if they are good for the types of fires I would need to handle in the jeep.

[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Green_Jeep_Club"][I]New Green Jeep Club[/I] - Member #2[/URL]
1993 YJ Green/Spice - 6cyl 4.0L AX-15
2x KC Daylighters on windshield hinges, front hooks, rear shackle, 20' strap, shovel, saw, tools, air compressor, etc.
--------
FOR SALE:
- Set of 4 used 33x14.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP Tires on Alloy Rims (5 on 5.5 bolt pattern).
- 2x white 6" KC Stone Guards (NEW)
(PM me if interested)
Rush1184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 5lb Halon for no-mess use (hopefully will never need it!).
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Avoid those little 2lb. extinguishers like you see displayed by the newbies on their rollbars, they're not big enough for anything serious. I always recommend 5 lb. ABC extinguishers that are good for both engine and grass or brush fires. Here's where I have my 5 lb. mounted which is perfectly located... handy enough like if I'm upside down in a burning Jeep, but out of the way and not at head-level that could kill me in an accident.
fireext-flashlight.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Hal-Guard Halon fire Extinguisher. Look into the Halon for it does not leave any residue and excellent for electrical components.

Unread 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

I carry a 5# BC, as this article http://www.earlycj5.com/tech/general...tinguisher.php recommends. I think it makes sense to have another rated at ABC for brush. I wish I could get an explanation why the fellow who wrote the article only recommends a BC. The BC I have now is mounted to the rollbar, secured in a quick realease, yet redundant manner. I think I'm gonna steal Jerry's mounting location for an ABC. Even though I drive an older 5, I think I can make something fit under the seat. Brush fire is major bad news here, be on the wrong end of a box canyon when one starts, you're probably gonna die in the summer. Any fire experts, please chime in about what the reasoning is to recommend a BC unit over an ABC. I can't figure that one out. Like Jerry, I would think you want one that does it all....
crusty75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Indy

I think the author is more concerned with a liquid fuel fire of the vehicle itself, and isn't considering environmental issues. An ABC would be a better option. Gas only extinguishers are pretty limited use a real world environment and you should carry a dry extinguisher as well. It would work for an electrical fire in the dash where the gas could be contained, assuming you can immediately cut current to whatever shorted in the first place. Other than that, it's not going to work. Figure you have an underhood fire with a gas leak, if you manage to displace enough oxygen to kill the flame, as soon as you run out of halon he whole thing will flare up again.
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, Halon is not a good agent for a Jeep unless you know (which you cannot) you will only have electrical fires and never any gasoline or brush fires where you're wheeling. Good for a computer room but certainly not as a general purpose fire extinguisher for a Jeep.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yep, Halon is not a good agent for a Jeep unless you know (which you cannot) you will only have electrical fires and never any gasoline or brush fires where you're wheeling. Good for a computer room but certainly not as a general purpose fire extinguisher for a Jeep.
Not arguing, Jerry, but my Halon says it's rated for ABC, although Wiki says only Halons over 5lbs. are so rated:

Halon (including Halon 1211 and Halon 1301), a gaseous agent that inhibits the chemical reaction of the fire. Classes B:C for lower weight fire extinguishers (2.3 kg ; 5 lbs or less) and A:B:C for heavier weights (4.1-7.7 kg ; 9-17 lbs). Banned from new production, except for military use, as of January 1, 1994 as its properties contribute to ozone depletion and long atmospheric lifetime, usually 400 years. Halon was completely banned in Europe resulting in stockpiles being sent to the United States for reuse. Although production has been banned, the reuse is still permitted. Halon 1301 and 1211 are being replaced with new halons which have no ozone depletion properties and low atmospheric lifetimes, but are less effective.

So, I don't know. I do like the idea of not having residue to clean up, but if it isn't going to be effective on all fires....
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
deathblade556
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I keep a 5lb CO2 in the back and a 3lb ABC on the rollbar, the CO2 is for putting out people(people have a habit of lighting there pants on fire when I'm around) and the ABC is for grass/gas.
2000 Forest green TJ SE with stock gears, sport king 31x10.50s, a 4 cyl 2.5l, 3speed auto, now with 100,001 miles on it as of 3/27/09 10:43:51am

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #71
deathblade556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
mylt1

those of you with halon make sure if you ever have to use it that you are not in a closed in area. if you have a dash fire do not use it until you open all the doors. halon can and will kill you.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the Halon extinguisher with the mindset that an electrical fire would be better suited for a mall crawler such as myself. I personally feel that my chances of an gas, oil, etc. fire would be limited to say an accident or possibly an F-up on my part. Now I'm not saying anything like this will never happen, there is always a possibility. I just feel my chances of anything catching fire would come from something electrical. However, Halon is also an excellent ABC extinguisher. One think that you guys brought up that never crossed my mind was other things around you catching fire(brush, trash, etc.) I guess I was more concerned about my Jeep at the time. Thanks for bringing that up.

Halon (ABC) - Halon extinguishers normally contain bromochlorodifluoromethane, a very heavy gas (much heavier than CO2). This not only displaces oxygen from around the fire but chemically reacts in a way that shuts down combustion. (It decomposes into chlorine and bromine radicals, which scavenge hydrogen radicals essential for keeping combustion going.) Halon extinguishers, like CO2 extinguishers, are especially suitable for Type C fires and delicate equipment, but because they chemically shut down combustion they are also good for Type A fires. They are being phased out because of the damage chlorofluorocarbons do to the ozone layer.
Unread 02-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
FmIaRnEtJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Halon is a oxygen displacer which means if there is heat or firesource the fire will come back, or if somone else is in the jeep your going to sufficate them. pluse depending on the age it is a hazzardous material in most states.
FmIaRnEtJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
mdoherty

ABC dry chem!
using a CO2 or any other gas agent is great for a controlled fire with no influence of wind, but I have never been on a ride that we did not have some kind of a breeze or wind.

And just remember, if your jeeps does ketch on fire the last thing on your mind is going to be not to destroy the CD player with dry chem, but to just get the fire out so it does not do any more damage that it already has.
[COLOR=SlateGray]USNS HULL #31[/COLOR]
mdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps some of you folks who understand more about extinguishers than I do can explain a problem I seem to have to me. I've bought (or been given) several of the small and inexpensive extinguishers and each of them has died after a few months life in the Jeep. I don't get it. They are strapped to the roll bar with a strong strap and over-center style buckle and don't really get any hard bumps or other abuse. Now to be honest, I don't know that all of them have been dead, but the needles read fine when I put them in and then a little later, they read empty. I've also been present at two small fires and each time found the extinguisher useless. The only thing I can think of is that these aren't vehicle specific models, and so perhaps the temperature swings are causing them to loose pressure over time, but I really don't know if that's the case. I'd appreciate any advice, opinion, info etc. folks could provide. What use is it to have an extinguisher if you can't count on it to work when you need it?

Thanks,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
mdoherty

If it a dry chem type you need to smack the bottom of them on the ground before you use them. The powder will cake up on whatever side it is laying on and all you will do is drain the propellant out of the tank.
[COLOR=SlateGray]USNS HULL #31[/COLOR]
mdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.