What gear to carry? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What gear to carry?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What gear to carry?

Just looking to get some ideas on what gear everyone carries in the jeep. I DD mine and am starting to gather stuff. Looking to mount a shovel and axe inside right now.

What does you think is necessary?

l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on how well you know your jeep. I like to become familiar with parts in the shop and then by process of elimination, figure out what can break and in which situations. For a daily driver I suggest three things:

AAA Premeir. Don't care how many miles your insurance tow is good for, there is no substitute.

An extra serpentine belt and knowledge and wrench to change it

The most important is a proper shovel. E-tools are great in theory but crap in reality. You may have your jeep bogged down deep, the long handle can be used for several situations where you can't reach or don't want to touch and it makes getting rid of thieves with coincidental GSW's quite expedient.
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I carry a bunch of stuff but I have an older FSJ. A partial list of the more important stuff:
fire extingisher, complete tool box (including D44 hub tool), 5 gallon gas can, water, spare studs, shop towels, large jack stand, recovery gear (straps, snatches, etc), tire guage, tire deflators, rugs. Spare blankets, electrical connectors and such, a BUNCH of hose clamps. Knife, headlamp, garbage bags, first aid kit, water purifier, spare radiator hoses and belts. A bottle jack, axe, shovel. All kinds of fluids. a spare HEI cap and ignition module. JB weld. Starter solinoid. U joint and fuel filter. Spare electric fuel pump.

The ignition module and fuel pumps are a must have. If either dies there is no trail repair that is going to work.

I actually carry much more than the above list but that is stuff I wouldn't want to leave without if I was going off road.

Also, AAA platnium.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
danielatc4w

Really depends on where you are going and what you are doing. I spend days at a time alone in the remote Appalachian mountain wilderness in the SC/NC/TN area. I carry the usual basic mechanical tools (wrenches, jack, spare, tire plugs etc) in my ride but really I prepare more for a hike out than a vehicle field repair. Extra clothes, Shelter, Fire starting kit, Extra medication, Firearm, A flare gun, GPS and a map. Could go on and on but I pack differently depending on the location, time frame and weather of the area I am going. The most important part: Let someone know where you are going and the time you expect to be back.
danielatc4w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I carry a bunch of hand tools, jack and stuff required to change the tire. And always recovery gear to pull others out, they always call... I dont carry anything else for DD.

For trails, everything above and some spare shafts usually. Auto parts stores are never THAT far away and extra parts are heavy most of the time. And for me, I always have enough to make a fire and change clothes. Usually 4 bottles of water, small first aid kit, yada yada.

You will be surprised at what you can do when you find yourself in those situations, but that is also why I don't wheel alone.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
You will be surprised at what you can do when you find yourself in those situations, but that is also why I don't wheel alone.
That is why a parts store is never far away for you, just hitch a ride.

I don't recommend wheeling alone especially if you are not up to it or capable of it.

If you do, then you already know you have to carry different stuff than people who wheeel together.

Better be able to fix it yourself or have what you need. An extensive first aid kit can help you and your passengers true, but also help someone in another vehicle too, a complete stranger even.

A welder can fix a great many things that break on the trail. If you have welding capabilities, more gear is needed. A hack saw to cut and fit, a file to deburr, a few pieces of angle iron in different lengths and thicknesses, some large vise grips, A compact auto darkening hood is helpful and easy to pack.

A fire suppresion system PLUS fire extinguishers are a peace of mind, fires do one of two things, go out or get bigger, it depends on what you have to fight it. Don't use Halon, ATFF or foam is best, but dry types will do the job (purple K comes to mind). Think it's over kill? Ask a guy in the burn ward if 500 bucks is worth it .Don't want to sound like a bonehead here, I care about you LOL

Co2 is great but what happens when the tank(s) is empty? Air is a big help in the field, a air rachet speeds things up and make hard to reach tasks easier. Bring along a compact mat or small tarp to lay on and/or lay small parts on or parts that need to stay clean.

Just a few thoughts. OP asked, i'ts just my opinion.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just for daily driving, I have all my recovery gear: tow strap, recovery strap, gloves, and snatch block in one bag. The rest I have jumper cables, Masterflow air compressor, very basic hand tool set, hatchet, custom first aid kit, light sticks, fire extinguisher, and road flares. For a road trip or off road, I'll had my entire socket set, wrench set, and a large toolbox with some spare parts and tools needed to replace almost anything that could break on the Jeep.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.