What is the best Value for a Winch right now? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What is the best Value for a Winch right now?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What is the best Value for a Winch right now?

OK, so I have my Rokmen bumper on the way and it's time to start looking for a winch to mount up to it. Like alot of folks, my jeep is also my DD, and I want to keep it on a budget, I remember seeing alot of good deals on winches at the end of last year, I think Mile Marker had a 8000 lb winch for around $300 I believe. Anyhow, I can't seem to find a deal like that anywhere right now.

So, does anybody know of a good value winch that has a good reputation as well??

I know harbor frieght has a couple winches under $400, they're built by Chicago Electric, anybody use them?

I know there are a couple past winch threads like this, but they're old, I wanted to hear about something to date. Thanks in advance!!

Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
[U]Waiting to be installed:[/U]
*Rusty's Steering Box Support Brace
willhbauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
probesport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can open, worms everywhere.

FWIW I am very happy with my Smittybilt XRC-8 for under $300
1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo 2.5l V6

I'll find you someday and when I do, you'll know its me.
probesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by probesport View Post
Can open, worms everywhere.

FWIW I am very happy with my Smittybilt XRC-8 for under $300
Wow, that is a good deal! Seems to match the MileMarker that is almost $100 more in performance, anybody else running the Smittybuilt?

Have you had to use yours?
Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Generally - you get what you pay for. You say you want "best value" but your post reads like you want "cheapest price".
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
probesport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see a few people with them on the board in pics or sigs, but not alot of talk about them.

I have done a bit of winching but no self recovery. I have yanked a few people out of the snow & ditches, dragged a few things and the heaviest pull was dragging a seized up pickup with flat tires into our shop so we could gut it. It worked flawlessly, I was happy enough with it to call it a permanent fixture and just started my in cab controls and have already relocated the control box to underhood.

I do agree with you get what you pay for for the most part however, and if I was an extreme off roader or made my living with my winch this would not be my first choice.

I still buy Craftsman tools sometimes when I need something that I will rarely use but would rather it didn't break (like crows foot wrenches, etc) but I would never choose a Craftsman ratchet over a Snap-On/Matco/Mac.
1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo 2.5l V6

I'll find you someday and when I do, you'll know its me.
probesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Generally - you get what you pay for. You say you want "best value" but your post reads like you want "cheapest price".
Right, I agree, you do get what you pay for, and I tried not to make it sound that way, because I don't want the cheapest, I'm asking what winch is worth paying for, I'd love to spend $900 on a winch and I'm sure I could afford it but I'm not going to be putting myself in the position to use it often enough to make that a worthwhile investment, but I would like to have one for the 1 or 2 times a year that I go on a hardcore trek.

Simply put, I'm into the lower dollar range winches, so a better question would be whats a better value, a $300 Smittybuilt XRC8 or the $400 Mile Marker?
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would check Superwinch they have a 9k winch for like 575 i believe, and it comes with a snatch block. I have heard a lot of good reviews on this winch.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

The cheapest is going to be the smittybuilt. But I think the best value is the Warn M8000, if you hunt you can get it shipped to your door for about $500. Yes that $100 more than the milemarker, but its also the best brand in winches with a lifetime warrenty on mechanical parts.

Heres an interesting quote from the article:

"Be it effective marketing, brand recognition, reputation, or simply propaganda, all testers involved had an expectation that the sun will rise in the East and the Warn will accomplish the pull. While the other winches were being watched closely to see if they would finish, the Warn’s ability to finish a pull was never doubted. In fact, it only received an occasional glance to see when it was done. This peace of mind alone may be worth the premium price to some readers."

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80 View Post
"Be it effective marketing, brand recognition, reputation, or simply propaganda, all testers involved had an expectation that the sun will rise in the East and the Warn will accomplish the pull. While the other winches were being watched closely to see if they would finish, the Warn’s ability to finish a pull was never doubted. In fact, it only received an occasional glance to see when it was done. This peace of mind alone may be worth the premium price to some readers."
Peace of mind is why I chose my Warn winch many years ago. I've been happy with my Warn HS9500i all these years which after enough use to now be on its 4th winch line, has never had a single problem. For me, I'll stick with Warn and personally will only recommend Warn. Warn may not be the only good brand available but I'll never buy or recommend any winch made in China as all the cheap ones mentioned above (Harbor Freight/Chicago, Smittybilt, Milemarker electrics, Champion, etc.) are.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Smittybuilt

4wd.com has a Smittybuilt XRC8 rated at 8000 pounds for 299.00 I do not know anything about them but has good reviews.
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80 View Post
Here is an interesting article:

The cheapest is going to be the smittybuilt. But I think the best value is the Warn M8000, if you hunt you can get it shipped to your door for about $500. Yes that $100 more than the milemarker, but its also the best brand in winches with a lifetime warrenty on mechanical parts.
Anybody know where I can find it for that price? Thanks!

And thats the kind of info I was hoping to get from someone, I would rather have a Warn for $500 myself, I just didn't know it was possible

Last edited by willhbauto; 03-03-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

The only drawback (or advantage, depending on who you talk to) is the M8000 does not have an integrated solenoid. You will have to find a place to mount the solenoid, which proves to be kind of a pain depending on where you want it. From what I understand most people eventually mount the solenoid under the hood and do in-cab controls.
jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhbauto View Post
Anybody know where I can find it for that price? Thanks!

And thats the kind of info I was hoping to get from someone, I would rather have a Warn for $500 myself, I just didn't know it was possible
Without spending much time looking, you can get it for $516 w/ free ship at winch depot: http://www.winchdepot.com/PDT57613.a...FQM7gwod1Qnuvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
The only drawback (or advantage, depending on who you talk to) is the M8000 does not have an integrated solenoid. You will have to find a place to mount the solenoid, which proves to be kind of a pain depending on where you want it. From what I understand most people eventually mount the solenoid under the hood and do in-cab controls.
If you get the warn winch mounting plate it comes with a bracket to mount the solinoid to the winch, or you can easily make your own (as many do) out of a strip of sheet metal. Heres the best pic I have with the warn mounting bracket:

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
njsjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have information about Gorilla winches?

http://www.gorillawinches.com/gorill...ery-series.htm
njsjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

If you're not a heavy winch user, like me, and you have a Costco around, check out the Champion 8000lb winch. Series wound (supposedly more resistant to overheat damage than a permanent magnet motor) comes with winch, remote (cheesy), universal mounting plate, roller fairhead. and a snatch block. Costco warranty is lifetime satisfaction, no questions, exchange or money back for as long as you own it. $299+tax OTD. I have seriously abused mine, and although it's slow, it has always done the job. There are some posts on this board about the Champion, and a Google will provide others. So far, I haven't read much in the way of complaint. Kind of amazing.

I call that value. Others might not. I guess it all depends on your definition of value.

Last edited by crusty75; 03-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: remembered included fairhead
crusty75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.