What adhesive for convex side mirror re-attach - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > What adhesive for convex side mirror re-attach

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What adhesive for convex side mirror re-attach

Hey Folks,

Ages ago I attached a couple little convex mirrors to the side view mirrors on the TJ. They have been great and I use them every day in the very strange parking spots at work. Unfortunately the double sided foam tape they came with failed and they have come off. I saw it failing and grabbed the mirrors, but now need to re-attach them. I was planning on using some silicone, and when I was at the auto parts store picking up a few other odds and ends asked the folks there what they recommend. They all had differing opinions including JB Weld, rear view mirror button adhesive, super glue, double sided tape, RTV etc. There was no consensus other than "not silicone". So, what do you all recommend?

Thanks
Adam

Edit: I should probably mention that these convex mirrors are backed in aluminum, so the adhesive will need to bond bare aluminum to the glass of the side view mirrors.

'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A 5 minute epoxy should work. Just scuff the backing and a spot on the other mirror to help it bond
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

This is a really easy fix. Buy a new set of little convex mirrors and throw the old ones away. You got your moneys worth out of them and they're everywhere for only a couple bucks a pair. Cheaper to go new than to buy special adhesive to resecure the old ones.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Chris, that's certainly an option. However, there's nothing wrong with the mirrors, and I hate to throw out something that has nothing wrong with it, especially if I can fix it. This disposable culture we live in frustrates me philosophically. I've got a decent selection of adhesives on hand, and if I don't have the one I end up wanting, I'll get some and add it to the collection for future use. Also, it's an opportunity to learn something, even if it's just a small bit about adhesives. Any other ideas/opinions?

Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

something like "Goop" adhesive, you probably have something like that laying around the house? If not, pick up a tube sometime, they last for a long time (they don't dry out in the tube much) and it works quite well for alot of things around the house. They make different types, some specifically for outdoors and waterproof, and so on.

It's not thin and runny like crazy glue that dries rock hard, it's quite thick and dries somewhat flexible. Which makes me think that it might be perfect for this application since mirrors tend to vibrate a bit, being that the goop doesn't dry rock hard (it stays somewhat flexible, somewhat) the vibrations wouldn't crack the glue like it might with a glue that dries rock hard.

I think they make a variation of the Goop adhesive that is specifically for automotive things (metal, glass, and so on). But probably any of them would work just fine, since the little mirrors weigh almost nothing. In general, Goop seems to stick to just about anything.
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
Chris, that's certainly an option. However, there's nothing wrong with the mirrors, and I hate to throw out something that has nothing wrong with it, especially if I can fix it. This disposable culture we live in frustrates me philosophically. I've got a decent selection of adhesives on hand, and if I don't have the one I end up wanting, I'll get some and add it to the collection for future use. Also, it's an opportunity to learn something, even if it's just a small bit about adhesives. Any other ideas/opinions?

Adam
Understood.
In which case, the double-sided foam tape they come with serves the purpose well. It's readily available, quick, easy, clean, sets-up fast and lasts a long time. I wouldn't risk permanently affecting a factory mirror glass for the sake of a 2$ add-on.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had to glue a convex mirror on an old 1961 Cessna 210 so that the pilot could double check his landing gear. We kept the foam tape and used a small circle of 5 minute epoxy around the tape and then a small bead of silicon (very small bead) just inside the lip to seal out moisture.

It's been secure for 5 years now, and it's directly in the path of the wind moving at 100-120 mph...
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for it to be permanent, then some 3M 90 series spray adhesive with some scuffing of the mirror and backside of the small one, and it'll never come off. Just make sure you mask off anything you don't want it on, because the glue itself will never come off, either.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIES View Post
This is a really easy fix. Buy a new set of little convex mirrors and throw the old ones away. You got your moneys worth out of them and they're everywhere for only a couple bucks a pair. Cheaper to go new than to buy special adhesive to resecure the old ones.
if the ones he has now still work, and it's just a matter of attaching them, then how can you claim that it's cheaper to just go out and get a whole new set? And how do you quantify "your money's worth" for a mirror? If the mirror still reflects, then obviously it's still useful, and securing it with something that will last the life of the vehicle instead of getting new ones every year gives you much more value for your dollar.

today's throw-away culture disgusts me sometimes. But being from China, I can see why you'd want him to buy more. It'll employ your children for another week.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

3M double sided trim adhesive. Gray in color, you should be able to find a small roll at any auto parts store near the paint supplies. I've used it to re-stick my whole drivers side mirror which was coming out of the frame. Used it also to restick the trim on my VW, and it has lasted years.
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I went over to Home Depot and spent a few minutes going through their adhesives. I decided on some Locktite marine epoxy. It had a good working, set up and cure times. It also would work on wet surfaces and since the weather was calling for storms and it might have to get wet earlier than was optimum, it seemed like a good call. It also provided me a chance to teach my kid about epoxy. The cost was about the same as a new set, we had plenty left over for future projects, and I have a hard time believing they will ever come loose.

Cheers,
Adam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.