"We couldn't do the alignment because... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > "We couldn't do the alignment because...

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

"We couldn't do the alignment because...

...whoever put the lift kit on put longer lower control arms, but didn't put longer upper control arms."

It's lifted about 3", with 16" fixed LCAs.

Agony Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

You could take it to another shop and/or do some measurements. It wouldn't be the first time someone cut corners on a lift.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So slightly longer lowers and stock uppers? Then they can't adjust caster or the fore-aft axle positioning. They can adjust toe....and so can you. So there's no point to drop any cash on someone doing that for you.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
You could take it to another shop and/or do some measurements. It wouldn't be the first time someone cut corners on a lift.
I put the lift on. The kit didn't come with different UCAs because there's no major need to adjust them at this lift height. The longer LCAs should keep caster pretty close to where it was before the lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
They can adjust toe....and so can you. So there's no point to drop any cash on someone doing that for you.
I know they could. They said they couldn't. And I've done it before, but I figured they'd be able to get it done more accurately than I could with my crude instruments, being that alignments is one of the more common things this shop does.

The one guy who works there drives a lifted yota. Maybe I should have known better than to take my SFA there?
Agony Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Yeah, take it to a different shop.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to a shop with older equipment. A lot of bigger shops have the same Hunter alignment machines and a lot of younger technicians don't know how to do an alignment off one so if it shows off on the machine and the specs is says it should be then they don't know how to align it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.