Waterproofing the Engine compartment. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
TJ_with_Tusks

Waterproofing the Engine compartment.

Who s got a write-up on waterproofing the engine compartment? I've read articles online that say all you need to do is install a snorkel, and run a bead of silicon around the distributor cap, and you're good to go.

For some reason I don't believe this. I was thinking about getting one of those waterproof battery bosec for starters. anyone have one of those? Hows it working? The next step I figured was doing something with the fuse box.

I don't want to waterproof my engine compartment so I can go swimming with my TJ. Its more of a precaution. I want to do it because I know that between the mud, rivers, and other spots I choose to take my Jeep, eventually one will be too deep. I like not having to worry, you know?

JerseyDan

04' Columbia TJ
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
got4-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_with_Tusks
Who s got a write-up on waterproofing the engine compartment? I've read articles online that say all you need to do is install a snorkel, and run a bead of silicon around the distributor cap, and you're good to go.

For some reason I don't believe this. I was thinking about getting one of those waterproof battery bosec for starters. anyone have one of those? Hows it working? The next step I figured was doing something with the fuse box.

I don't want to waterproof my engine compartment so I can go swimming with my TJ. Its more of a precaution. I want to do it because I know that between the mud, rivers, and other spots I choose to take my Jeep, eventually one will be too deep. I like not having to worry, you know?

JerseyDan
who ever told u that is a liar. there is so much stuff u have to do, i like ur idea, that being precautionary. if u do water proof the engine bay dont forget about the diff breathers

stretched *** tj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-08-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
TJ_with_Tusks

Oh yeah, What can you do with the diff breathers? Do you extend them up? What happens if you seal them up?

JerseyDan

04' Columbia TJ
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,

post #4 of 19 Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
dakuda
Admin

Quote:
Oh yeah, What can you do with the diff breathers? Do you extend them up? What happens if you seal them up?

JerseyDan
Do not seal them, just extend the hoses higher.

You can do things the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-08-2005, 11:00 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

do the tranny and the t-case breathers too while you're at it. as far as the engine goes, the snorkel is the biggest thing. water up the intake is your mortal enemy. electronics and components like the starter and alternator don't like water, but they'll survive a few splashes. the engine however can bend a couple rods on just 2 tbsp of the stuff. for electrical stuff, dielectric grease is your friend. be liberal in applying it to the plug wires and the coil wire terminals. this will help keep them dry and the engine running when they get wet. keep your wires in good condition. best way to check them is to wait for a dark night, pop the hood and take out the bulb. start the engine and look for little blue sparks. for sensor connections, use more grease on each half of the connections. then, take some liquid electrical tape, or my preference, friction tape (the rubber stuff not the kind with threads in it) and seal each connection nice and tight. I like friction tape because it's cheaper, less messy and it will seal to itself without leaving a sticky residue like normal electrical tape will. you already know about sealing the dist cap. make sure you know where the computer is as well. mines behind the dash in the cab, but i believe the newer jeeps have them in the engine bay on the firewall. i'm not sure how waterproof they are. HTH

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #6 of 19 Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
TJ_with_Tusks

thanks, that helps a lot. I didn't look in the Jeep yet, but where are the other breathers. I know the diff breather by the radiator. where are the others?

JerseyDan

04' Columbia TJ
post #7 of 19 Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
natef26

You have the rear diff breather that runs up to where the gas fill spout is. You have to remove the gas cap and the plastic piece that it attaches to first.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks, that helps a lot. I didn't look in the Jeep yet, but where are the other breathers. I know the diff breather by the radiator. where are the others?

JerseyDan
i'm not sure about the TJ's, but the Yj has the tranny and case vents just below the inspection cover over the tranny. pull yours up and have a look.

Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
post #9 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Scafone

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about the breather on your distributor cap? I just now thought about extending that, though I'm not sure if it's possible...I'll have to look at mine.
After stalling in water nearly up to my air filter, I realized the distributor was completely submerged (not waterproofed), so this is a more important concern than a snorkel IMO. I had decided not to enter water that could be that deep anymore, but I suppose an extended distr. vent would be a good idea just in case.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
post #10 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scafone
What about the breather on your distributor cap? I just now thought about extending that, though I'm not sure if it's possible...I'll have to look at mine.
After stalling in water nearly up to my air filter, I realized the distributor was completely submerged (not waterproofed), so this is a more important concern than a snorkel IMO. I had decided not to enter water that could be that deep anymore, but I suppose an extended distr. vent would be a good idea just in case.
since he mentioned the cap in his original post i assumed he already knew about that one, but yes you should extend that one as well. you also need to silicone the bottom of it when you do. that along with the dielectric grease in the boots should keep you running even if it's under water.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
post #11 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

2013 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

JerseyDan
you know what.... i don't know what happens if you seal them off.... anyone?

lj

ಠ_ಠ
post #12 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper
you know what.... i don't know what happens if you seal them off.... anyone?

lj
i do. the expanding air in the diff finds the next easiest spot to push out, usually the axle seals and you end up with leaks. happened to a friend of mine who thought he knew better than the Dana engineers they're there for a reason guys

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
post #13 of 19 Old 03-17-2005, 07:19 PM
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

2013 MJ Comanche 

i'd sorta figured as much. thanks!

lj

ಠ_ಠ
post #14 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 02:33 PM
DZLCJ7

1981 CJ7 

This may not be waterproofing but it is taking a precaution, and electric fan. So you can shut it off when crossing water so you don't bend a blade and take out your radiator. This obviously would only be when you cross high water, not really if you drive through a puddle which would just splash water.

1981 CJ7 w/ IH Dana 44s f/r, 3.07 gears, NV4500, 3.9L 4BT CTD, Dana 300, 31" Procomp MTs, 3" of lift, soon to get D60/14Bolt & 37s
1984 CJ7
1991 YJ
post #15 of 19 Old 03-20-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
TJ_with_Tusks

You mean install an eletric fan, instead of the stock clutch fan? Would the blades cut up the rad. is you were in deep water ?

JerseyDan

04' Columbia TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.