Water Proofing, or Water proof Alternators? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2003, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
DaveFL

Water Proofing, or Water proof Alternators?

Anyone familar with a fully submersable Alt? or a way to prevent frying Regulators?

I know this is a Jeep board but since my Jeep is under resto and this is my Wheeler now I need some help...

On my other wheeler (Modded 96 Trooper) Ive been having serious Alt problems when I hit water. Isuzu places the alt on the lower right hand side of the motor (Worse place in the world) Ive already fabed a new bracket and changed to a Stock GM 105 AMp over the POS Hitachi that was stock with the vehicles. But whenever I hit a puddle at a decent depth BOOM there goes the regulator.

Ive been thinking about external Regulation, placing the regulator as high as possible away from water contact, but Im not sure if this will help. I guess I need more of an insight into what causes a Reg to short so fast with contact to water.

Any help, suggestions etc will be appreciated. Ive looked at trying to relocate the Alt but there is no way short of removing the AC pump to relocate it (Not an option since it is daily driver as well)

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 04:22 AM
BamaJeeper

40" tires would move it some.

Out of the darkness comes light.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
DaveFL

Yea 40's would move it some, but unfortunatly Im running 33's now on a 4" lift and I just dont think the 3.2 even with 5.38 gears could handle 40's

Since I visit the board reguarly with my Jeep, and am i need of insight I was hoping some 4x electrical guru would be able to chime in with an idea I havent thought of.

Oh well, for now I just stay away from water crossings, at least until Jeep is back on the road.

Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
AnotherRED

I don't know if its possible to warterproof an alt. Just a thought I had for you was maybe get a Ford alt that uses an external regulator.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2003, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
DaveFL

Didnt know Ford Alts used external Regulation. I converted over to a GM (Delco housed Alt) and found a Balamar High out put external Regulated Marine Alt for $235.

But will external regulation stop the Alt from frying when it hits water? Its always the Reg that goes and I am assuming this is from water contact, however is Alt is spiking from water would it just travel down the line to regulator?

Inquiring minds would like to know

Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2003, 04:03 AM
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

The regulator will eventually fail if stored underwater, but first worry about the alternator itself. Brushes inside the alternator will become gummed and clogged with debris, and make the whole thing useless.

Alternators need to vent heat, especially when dealing with high amperage. There is no way around this unless you use a low RPM model (Under 1K). Because of the open design, the brushes are always exposed. There are Marine units that are completely water sealed, but are very expensive and produce no more than 10-20amps at most. They are used for power generation when boats are parked. Another alternative is to convert a Humvee alternator to 12V. Most military grade alternators will be really water tight, or even sealed, you'll pay for it too..

Most automotive alternators will have some function in water. Depends on how clean/dirty your submersion will be, and how long. Only thing you can do is to keep it out of water. Or make a splash gaurd and protect it as long as you can. Or you can relocate it further above the engine. Or Hydrogen power cells. Or run Nuclear. Regardless of what you do, Bamajeeper is pretty much on target. Point is, don't waste money on a state of the art regulator.

K9Jeep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by K9JEEP; 06-15-2003 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.