warn zeon winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > warn zeon winch

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
snotpuller
2003 TJ Wrangler 

warn zeon winch

Does anyone have any experience with the new zeon winch? I like the look but really unsure about the synthetic rope. Feedback please....thanks

snotpuller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Already a Zeon thread. What about Synthetic concerns you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
snotpuller
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Durability, longevity, and strength
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotpuller View Post
Durability, longevity, and strength
Its durable, will last a long time, and is extremely strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
snotpuller
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks for your input
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This thread is probably going to get moved but as for your concern about synthetic line, put them to rest. Properly maintained it is plenty durable and the strength is definitely down. I currently live next to a Tow USA boat recovery company and a couple of years ago he pulled all the steel winch lines out and put in synthetic rope, and thats on working boats that go out an make recoveries every day (especially in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy). If the rope can survive in this environment life on your Jeep will be a vacation. Just make sure you protect the rope from chaffing up against rough surfaces and make sure any accessories you buy are properly sized (thinking snatch block here mostly).
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Within the first five years of owning my first winch, I replaced the wire rope twice due to it having kinked & broken wire strands. Yes it was regularly rewound per how you're supposed to do it but if you're doing multiple pulls in a weekend, you just can't always do that... which can damage the wire rope if the rope layers aren't tight enough to prevent the rope from pulling down through the layers & damaging itself as it does that.

Then when that third wire rope went bad, I replaced it with 3/8" synthetic from fellow Jeeper Thor at www.winchline.com. Five years later, that synthetic rope was still in excellent condition. Three wire ropes in the first five years (lots of use), one synthetic rope the next 7 years before that Jeep & winch was stolen & the rope was still in excellent condition the last time I saw it.

My new winch on the replacement Jeep got fresh 3/8" synthetic rope from Thor at the same source within its first month. I'll never run wire rope again, I sold that new wire rope to reduce the cost of the new synthetic.

Synthetic is lighter, easier on the hands, much easier to run up & down difficult terrain to connect it, and doesn't kink & damage itself like wire rope does. You can't drag synthetic over sharp rocks like you can wire rope but in ten years of running synthetic rope while rock crawling, I've never had to do that so for me, that is a non-issue.

Just realize you don't have to replace a roller fairlead that is in good condition with a hawse like some outdated information advises. A hawse is harder on synthetic rope than a roller fairlead is. You just have to make sure the rollers of a used roller fairlead aren't nicked or gouged up before switching to synthetic and if they are, just smooth the rough spots with a grinder and/or a file. That's what I did on my first winch.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
snotpuller
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys...your input and information has been very informative. You have convinced and reassured my decision on choosing the synetic rope over wire. Thanks again
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've used both and def. feel a lot safer with rope. My current winch has wire (it came this way) and I'll be replacing it when I get a chance to do so. Watching both break before, rope will just fall to the grown when it breaks. Wire rope, you better hope no one is around or at least have something on the line to help reduce the recoil, like a ARB line blanket.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
jcrawler93

It's way lighter, wont ever mess with your hands, can be stronger than the steel cable, and if a cable pops a huge mess can happen when with a synthetic it just tears. You're better off buying the synthetic rope !
jcrawler93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
AbAngler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am a recent convert to synthetic and I'll never go back to cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.