warn X8000i problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > warn X8000i problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

warn X8000i problems

OK, so I have an older Warn X8000i, over 10 years old, 3 different vehicles. It has never let me down in that time, until the the times I've used it in the past month it has exhibited the following problem: When I hit the switch on the remote, it either does nothing, or takes a couple of seconds before it starts spooling. If I hit the solenoid housing it will usually start working. Also, the line speed seems slower than normal.

Any ideas? My thought are either a bad ground cable or I need new solenoids.

jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take the cover off and after disco'ing the winch from the battery, remove, clean, then re-tighten each of the connectors going to the solenoids. Do them one at a time so there's no chance of switching a wire accidentally. It could even simply be the winch connections at the battery not being tight. If that doesn't take care of it, you likely have a bad solenoid. A test light will show if the solenoid is working. The little wires control the solenoid, the big wires connect between the battery and winch motor. A test light on each of the big wires when it's not working will quickly indicate whether or not it's the solenoid.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
jeep1
1984 CJ8 

winch problem

Jerry, I'm also having a problem with the x8000i. Mine is on a 1958 cj5 I just bought. I have tested the motor and it runs in and out. I have 12v to the solenoids checked at the 12v cable at the solenoid and the battery ground on the case. When I try to jump the terminals on the solenoids I have nothing. The remote is a three wire, white, black, and green wires. I understand that the 12v is the white wire. What is the chance of all 4 solenoids being bad. With power to the solenoid pack what terminals should be jumped to know if the solenoids are good or bad? I don't have a pic so I'll try to descibe the wiring of the solenoids. The solenoids are in a line and I'll call them 1-4 from the left. The 12v cable goes to the top terminal on the #4 solenoid. The F1 motor cable goes to bottom term. on sole. 2, the F2 mtr cable goes to the bottom term. on sole 3 and the A mtr cable goes to the top term. of sole. 3. There are metal straps between the bottom term. of sole 3 and 4 and sole. 1&2. There is also one connecting the top terms of sole. 2&3. There are also small terminals at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on each solenoid. A small green/yellow wire jumps from the 3 oclock term on sole. 4 to the same 3 oclock term on all solenoids. A small green wire jumps from the 9 oclock term on #4 sole. to the same term on the #2 sole. The grn wire from the remote also is attached to the 9oclock term on the #4 sole. A small blk wire, along w/ the blk wire from the remote attaches to the 9oclock term of sole. #3 and jumps to the same 9oclock term on sole. #1. Thanks in advance.
jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can test each solenoid very simply and easily. Disconnect all of the wiring from the solenoid to be tested, doing whatever it takes to insure you know what wire goes where afterwards.

Put an ohmmeter across the two big lugs. The solenoid is there to make a heavy-duty connection across them. Then apply a ground to one of the two small lugs and +12v to the other small lug (polarity doesn't matter). You'll hear a solid clunk if the solenoid is working and you'll see the ohmmeter indicate a connection across the two big lugs.

If it doesn't clunk with 12 volts applied to the two small lugs, the solenoid is dead. If it clunks but no connection is made across the two big lugs, the internal contacts have probably been damaged. Either way, the solenoid would have to be replaced.

Odds of all four solenoids having gone bad are astronomical.

You can buy the right kind of replacement solenoid(s) from http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...h-Golf%20Cart/

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
jeep1
1984 CJ8 

Thanks Jerry, I'll get on it and see what I find.
jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
dustin6119
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my winch issue

same winch only it winches IN but not OUT.....I replace the 1st silonoid thinking it was the bad one but still the same problem......
by the way the starter silonoid from a 1988 mustang is the same....

I did "jumper" the 1st silonoid to see it it would run the other direction and it did...so motor will run both ways but could more than one silonoid be bad? unsure?

any other suggestions would be helpful....
dustin6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

$150 gets you a solid-state control pack that replaces your entire solenoid pack, and it's best to do it while you're having issues than when you're not, like I'm about to do.

For dustin: there are two solenoids each for in and out. If you tested one solenoid and it was good, test the diagonally adjacent one as well. If it's bad, then you won't be able to power in both directions.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ford starter solenoids are not the same as the winch solenoids. They appear the same but the duty cycle is not the same. One might work briefly but under a hard load will fail.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Noshow13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same winch & ordered new solenoids a few days ago. Mine would winch out but not IN, which doesn't really do any good. I cannot wait to get it working again.
Noshow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

To close out this thread: The problem was the wiring from the plug to the solenoids. I ordered a wiring harness for a m8000 winch (which was about $100 cheaper than the one for my specific winch,) installed it and haven't had any problems since.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.