Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Warn Winch Maintenance/New Synthetic Line

852 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  erickpl 
#1 ·
Okay, My 9.5ti needs a teardown and cleanup. I've got it apart and parts cleaned. Warn calls for Moly 1 grease, but not sure which grease would be best to use. Any suggestions?

I saw some info about Amsoil Offroad Grease #2 being a good option, but wanted to get some opinion from those who may have done this previously.

Also, I'm making the change to synthetic line. Should I go with 80' or 100' of 3/8"? Any particular brand recommended? Viking? Trying to find the best source for a GOOD line at a decent price. I'm thinking the safety thimble will be my best option.

Do I need to switch from roller to hawse fairleads?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
No need to switch to a hawse for a synthetic line. That a synthetic line could get torn up in the corners of the rollers was an early rumor that has since been put to bed. Just make sure your fairlead's rollers are smooth and free of burrs, file it smooth if necessary. There's less friction over a rolling surface than a hawse so it's gentler on a synthetic rope.

Your 9.5 came with 125' of 5/16", you can go with 100' of 3/8" synthetic.

Ricky at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/winches-and-recovery-gear/winch-line-100ft-safety-thimble/ has about the best deals on synthetic rope with the Safety Thimble that I'm aware of. Good decision on the Safety Fairlead, I've run that on both of my TJs.

#3 ·
Thanks, Jerry! Appreciate it! I thought it was 125', and with our hills and trees here in the southeast, a good portion of that 125' gets used (of course leaving the 4-5 wraps MINIMUM on the drum) just trying to get into a good position for recovery.

But my synth line has to wait. While I was working on my winch (cleaning it out, regreasing, replacing seals, etc), I found the primary planetary gear on the motor side is broken. The 'sun' gear that goes into the coupler motor was free spinning within the planetary. As a result, motor spins, drum doesn't. Contacted Warn and confirmed it was broken. New part on the way, so hopefully I'll get it back up and running soon.

Good news is though that all the other gears look great after cleaning and I'll get a LOT more life out of this winch once it is back on my bumper!

#4 ·
And what's the difference between the original safety thimble and the safety thimble 2?

#5 ·
It's not really the "original" vs. the Safety Thimble 2, it's just that the Safety Thimble 2 is designed for 5/16" to 3/8" line. Safety Thimble 1 is designed for ATVs and smaller rope sizes like 3/16 to 1/4". The Safety Thimble 3 is designed for 1/2" line. You definitely want the Safety Thimble 2.

http://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/winch-safety-thimble/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.