Warn winch fairlead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Warn winch fairlead

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 11-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Warn winch fairlead

Earlier this year I needed to use my winch for self recovery. The nearest line attachment point was off to the side a bit, but I got out without much struggle. There was however a bit of collateral damage. It seems that the winch line dug into the vertical roller on the passenger side. Both vertical rollers would not turn by hand, but the horizontal ones were fine.

Finally got around to taking it apart today and found that both the vertical shafts were quite caked with rust. All cleaned up now and ready to reassemble. I am convinced that the rust is caused by water getting by the snap ring at the top and running down the shaft. I really would like to seal the shaft, but short of that I will just put some water proof grease on the shafts.
Any other better/different solutions come to mind?

JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Seems like a reasonable solution to me. I would also make sure the rollers are free of any burs too and if they are grooved or damaged replace them.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Synthetic winch line & hawse fairlead?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you know when i was researching hawse fairleads a guy made an intersting comment. Would you use a snatch block that did not roll??? that is the same using a hawse fairlead on an off angle pull.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There was enough room under the snap ring to install an "O" ring. I note now that the pin and the roller now turn though, probably because of all the grease I put on the shaft. I'll see what happens under a side load sometime I suppose
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.