Warn Vs. Tabor Vs. SuperWinch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Warn Vs. Tabor Vs. SuperWinch

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
yj_ryn

Warn Vs. Tabor Vs. SuperWinch

I am a winch noob and I had some questions.

I was wanting to know the difference (besides prices and name recognition) on these three winch companies. Tabor is made my Warn if I am correct and SuperWinch is very popular is Australia. I also know Warn has a good warrantee.

Thanks for the input. I would use this for normal winch activities and pulling cedar trees up and off my parents land.

Last edited by yj_ryn; 06-13-2006 at 02:51 PM..
yj_ryn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
fried_gold

The Tabor is made by Warn but doesn't have the full warranty a Warn has, it's like 1 year instead of limited lifetime. Superwinch has 2 manufacturing facilities, one in England and one in the US, but their EP winches are made in China. The EPs seem to be getting a pretty good reputation but there aren't as many out there so it's hard to compare to other winches. I have one and it's worked really well for me.

All their other winches are made either in the US or England and some of them are legendary outside the US, but in the US Warn is the most popular and probably has the best warranty of any winch. Everyone says Warns are "Made in the USA" but all the internals are made in third world countries. In reality, that's how all winches are made today so, to me, there isn't much difference.

There are cheap winches that cost $300 that have debatable reliability, then there is everything else. People say Warnsnever break, but how'd they get the reputation for having a good warranty if they never fail? I believe all the better winches have the same with reliability, the thing that stands out about Warns are the warranty, but you have to pay more for a Warn so ... ugh.. my head is spinning
fried_gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
yj_ryn

So how do you like your SuperWinch? Have you had any problems with it? It works good for you? Any pics with it on your rig?
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
fried_gold

It's worked great for me. If I had known it was made in China I might have gotten something else, but I don't have any regrets, it's paid for itself many times over and I kinda like being the only person around that doesn't have a Warn. I might get one of the more expensive Superwinches if this one ever dies.

I have pics but something is wrong with imageshack right now so here's the only one that I know of that is hosted somewhere else. I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

This is the EPi 9.0, by the way

Unread 06-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
yj_ryn

I think it looks pretty sweet and original. If it works good than it does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for the pic. . .
Unread 06-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
matt1751

Hi, New to the site and Jeeps.. always had a truck.now I got both . about 2 months ago I picked up a 2002 TJ with only 4600 miles on it.. I've been looking for a winch and have been set on getting a warn 9.5ti till someone recommended a Superwinch EPI 9.0.. Its $330 less then the warn, (Fried_Gold) I see you have one and are happy with it.. Anyone else useing one.. Just wondering on the quality and performance of it. I don't want to regret getting it just to save a buck.. Any feedback would be appriciated. thanks
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #7
DesertX04

I have the epi9.0 and am happy with it. I've only had to use it half a dozen times or so, but no problems and I have no worries about it in the future. I definately recommend it over the price of the warns.
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Exposed power cables last long???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried_gold
It's worked great for me. If I had known it was made in China I might have gotten something else, but I don't have any regrets, it's paid for itself many times over and I kinda like being the only person around that doesn't have a Warn. I might get one of the more expensive Superwinches if this one ever dies.

I have pics but something is wrong with imageshack right now so here's the only one that I know of that is hosted somewhere else. I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

This is the EPi 9.0, by the way

One external difference between Superwinch EPi9.0 and Warn 9.5ti is the exposed power cables (from integrated selenoid to motor). I've heard they need replacing after years of weather exposure. Is this a downside not to buy a EPi9.0?
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
fried_gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
One external difference between Superwinch EPi9.0 and Warn 9.5ti is the exposed power cables (from integrated selenoid to motor). I've heard they need replacing after years of weather exposure. Is this a downside not to buy a EPi9.0?
I don't really see that happening. The connections are stainless, so nothing can really go wrong with them. The cables are about the same as battery cables (and they won't corrode like battery cables because the winch doesn't contain sulfuric acid like a battery does) so if something did happen, they'd be easy to replace.

The connections are covered with rubber boots and some of my boots did start cracking and falling apart after about a year, so I took them off and half-wrapped the connections with friction tape, but I did that mostly for looks.

With boots

With friction tape. I meant to look around for some more boots to cover them up completely but never got around to it. The connections have been exposed like that for a year or so and are still shiny and silver.

If you're trying to decide on a Warn 9.5ti or a Superwinch, I'd get the Warn. I couldn't be happier with my Superwinch, but Warn is probably the most reliable winch around and has the best warranty. So if you have $1000 for a Warn, by all means get it, but if you want a darn good winch for half the price I certainly recommend the Superwinch. If there were a problem with the cables (which I don't believe there to be), I would not let that be the deciding factor between Superwinch and Warn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.