Warn M8000 discrepancies? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Warn M8000 discrepancies?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Warn M8000 discrepancies?

I'm about to buy a Warn M8000 and I've noticed there seem to be two different solenoid box appearances. On simply has a big red "W" on the box, the other has a much smaller Warn logo consisting of a small red "W" with the word "Warn" on the W and says M8000 below it.

What's the difference between these two? Is it the manufacture date, or something? If there are no technical differences between the two, then I prefer the one with the simple huge "W." Anyone have the one with the smaller-looking logo? I don't think I've actually seen one on a Jeep. Thanks.

Unread 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

At some point Warn changed the specs of the M8000 from using a solenoid to a contactor control as was already used on their higher end winches.
I'm not certain, but I believe the smaller W and M-8000 logo indicates the newer control box... it will also have the words "contactor control" on it. I was specifically looking for this when I bought my M8000.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What are you calling a "contactor control"? Both my previous Warn HS-9500i and present <1 year old Warn 9.5xp use electromechanical solenoids.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

"Contactor control" is Warn's terminology. From my research the functional difference between a contactor and a solenoid actuated relay is subtle, somewhat like the distinction between a boat and a ship. The term contactor includes power devices with current capacities far beyond what would be termed a relay, so it may be partly marketing speak on Warn's part.

Warn's newer higher end winches are listed as having a contactor control vs. a solenoid. One of the differences between the entry-level VR8000 and the M8000 is the former still has a solenoid control.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

So you guys are saying the difference between the big red W and the little sticker-looking thingy is a high-quality solenoid vs a slightly re-designed high-quality solenoid? Because let's face it— as advanced as Warn is/was, I don't think their R&D labs have come up with a way to eliminate the need for solenoids in motors powered by electricity. That said, is there any appreciable functional difference between the two winches? Anyone from Warn should feel free to chime in here...
Unread 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I think you will be fine with either one.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Superwinch.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Superwinch.
Superwinch was a great company but now all but two of their winches are made in China. Only their S9000 and X9 are still made in the U.S. I'd buy their S9000 or X9 but I wouldn't buy any of their Chinese made winches.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
equipment , m8000 , warn winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.