Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wanting to order tire chains for up-coming winter

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jeepdaddy2000 
#1 ·
I plan on going to the passes a lot this year and though it isn't supposed to be too terrible this winter, I still like to be prepared. I've never needed chains before but you are required to have them in the vehicle in order to go over sometimes. Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them....

So, my 2015 JKU is lifted 3" with a Teraflex spacer kit. I've got 315/70/17 Duratracs on Cragar Soft 8's with 4.5" BS.

What would be best, chains or cables? Do I only get one set or two? Thanks a ton!

#4 ·
Some guys like the V-Bar chains while others like the square chains. I'll be getting either the 5.5mm or 7.0mm square chains for my TJ this fall. I'll get 2 pair to do all four wheels for the deep crusty snow we get here in AZ because I visit tower sites at 7,000 ~ 12,000 feet. If you are going to use them on the highway rear wheels only will work. Most jeep manuals say *only* rear wheels but I think that is due to clearance issues with brake lines and stuff when turning tight. Here is a thread discussing just that and also air down vs. any chains. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/why-no-snow-chains-sahara-rubicon-1323014/

Happy Trails,
Bob

Attachments

#6 ·
Check your chain laws. Our state says chains or 4WD.. Washington says:
I have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. When "Chains Required" signs are posted, do I have to use chains?

No. All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050."

Statute here: http://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

#7 ·
Check out your local Les Schwab's. They will get you the right chain set for your rig and if you don't use them, they have a full return policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.